Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #1

HWH Automatic Leveling System - not working

We took the plunge at the end of May and finalized the purchase of our new to us 2004 CC Intrigue Ovation 505.

So basically, we went from owning tents to a 42.5 foot DP and now the learning curve begins!

We did do an inspection (pre-purchase) and we were aware that the leveling system wasn't working properly and now it is time to see if I can fix it or if I should have a technician come out and take a look (yes, in hindsight, this may have been a mistake, but this is where I am).

I have been self-leveling the rig, which has been mostly working, but I really want to get it working properly.

I found the original paperwork and I have followed the instructions to see if the system would do it properly, but no such luck. I also looked online, but there really wasn't much more information (or at least not that I found).

I was really hoping that someone had any additional resources or information.

Thank you in advance and we are looking forward too seeing you on the road!

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the club. Have you considered signing up for Kevin waites service. 350 per year and you will have access to him and butch. Both former CC guys that now offer this service. Ive saved thousands.

Just yesterday called butch on an electric issue. Im one year in and still learning of course but they are tracing me how to take care of what I can. Just fixed a slide seam issue. An awning control box replacement are the most recent 2 Ive done myself. Each of those jobs over 1000.
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Find "azpete" on here. He works for HWH and is very helpful to anyone who has a question or two or three... about their system.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
vchris619

Contact Paul Maddox (AZPete). He is a HWH field rep and will get back to you if he doesn't answer his phone. His mobile #602-549-3638. You can send him a text or call him and leave a message if he doesn't answer.

You will need to know the HWH system you have and be specific with your problem which will help him zero in on what you need to look at. He provided me with the service manual for my unit which is the 625s.

Hope you get everything sorted out - Richard
Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Exactly what is the HWH doing and not doing?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Tmyz, can you tell me more about this service? What do you get for$350? Thx.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

You could also call HWW and tell them you need some tech support. Non emergencies can take sometime before they get back with you. They should be able to walk you thru some diagnostics, and from what you see and tell them - give you a clue if it something repairable. Or, if they feel the 'control' unit needs to be sent into them for repair.

I have heard great things about all of the other people recommended to you too, and know Kevin to good people!

And if you as Don suggested, share your symptoms - many have some experience with these units!

And enjoy the learning experiences with the coach!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
You could also call HWW and tell them you need some tech support. Non emergencies can take sometime before they get back with you. They should be able to walk you thru some diagnostics, and from what you see and tell them - give you a clue if it something repairable. Or, if they feel the 'control' unit needs to be sent into them for repair.

I have heard great things about all of the other people recommended to you too, and know Kevin to good people!

And if you as Don suggested, share your symptoms - many have some experience with these units!

And enjoy the learning experiences with the coach!!!
Smitty
I did this when a slide wouldn't retract. Called, left my number, and got a return call in an hour or so. Thumbs up for the HWH folks!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Exactly what is the HWH doing and not doing?
When I hit "level" with the key in "ACC" (I think - there are only two positions, so it has to be...right?), the system will turn on and the 4 red lights will turn on. I can hear the compressor turn on and start pumping.

When I did this last night it started bleeding the front bags immediately, which is odd since the pad we are on is low in the front, also it started pumping up the back bags, which is also odd/backward.

After about 15 to 20 minutes it all stopped and the "Excess Slope" light came on. We are actually on a pad and it isn't excessive by any means.

I turned the system off, waited a few minutes and attempted to self-level. The "excess slope" light came back on and would not shut off. I managed to over-ride the system (not sure what I did at this point as I was just pushing buttons and hitting what I believe is the leveling reset button). I may have been a little frustrated at this point, but the "excess slope' light would not turn off.

It didn't completely level (per my cheap hand-held level), but it was better than the self-leveling system.

That about sums it up.

Thanks,

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

On my rig, auto leveling is much faster to level the rig with the engine running. Once level, I then dump the air to place the bottom step a decent distance from the ground.

The leveling process follows the same pattern in every situation as it cycles though the leveling stages starting at the front of the rig. Gradually it balances all sides.

If the engine is not running, then you are trying to level (on my rig) with the little 12 dcv electric compressor located in the forward driver side bay.

That compressor is intended for realignment of the leveling system during the next 24 hours. It would take a lot of time for it to replicate what your engine compressor can accomplish for leveling 30,000+ pounds.

But......I do not have slide-outs, so my rig sequence may be different.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

What hwh system do you have?
I know on a few of them the engine needs to be on with parking brake set.
Mine works like Deans
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Welcome to the club. Have you considered signing up for Kevin waites service. 350 per year and you will have access to him and butch. Both former CC guys that now offer this service. Ive saved thousands.

Just yesterday called butch on an electric issue. Im one year in and still learning of course but they are tracing me how to take care of what I can. Just fixed a slide seam issue. An awning control box replacement are the most recent 2 Ive done myself. Each of those jobs over 1000.
Butch Williams from Fountain rv?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #13

Try this:

From ride height, shut the motor down, do not dump air. Now hit the "on" button twice and see what happens.

My system, if I dump air and then try to level, I get all kinds of errors
Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Try this:

From ride height, shut the motor down, do not dump air. Now hit the "on" button twice and see what happens.

My system, if I dump air and then try to level, I get all kinds of errors
That's odd, Don. On my '05 the system doesn't seem to care where I start, high or low, or whether the engine is running or not (except for the time it needs).
I hope your system isn't on the edge of failing!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling