Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #15

Sorry for not getting back sooner. After a little experimentation (something that I become more and more reluctant to do as time goes on) I determined that with the switch in the "Bypass" position the "Travel" light doesn't illuminate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
So now you just ride at whatever your "park" bag levels were (are). The travel "height control valves" (HCV) are not enabled and have no control as you ride down the road. The switch just opened up "wire 68", same as pulling the fuse (as I did).

Why somebody thought the need of doing this on a re-occuring basis, as to install a bypass switch, is beyond me? The HCVs don't go bad that often!

Jim Bonds

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #17

We've had some issues with trees - especially hwy 90 in Mobile Al. I could see dumping air and using the bypass switch to be able to creep along with a few more inches of clearance.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #18

Not sure if some are missing the purpose of the travel/ride height settings on a Country Coach. The ride & travel height is set by the proper adjustments of the control valves. This ensures that the drive shaft is sitting at the proper angle for the universal joints and couplings. If the coach is operated without it being at the proper level damage will occur and you will begin to hear a roar in the rear of your coach in the drive train.

On my coach I periodically check my ride/travel height. I know that when I start the engine with all the air bags completely deflated, that once I get the travel light on I measure up the center of each wheel to the edge of the wheel well fairing it will be between 42-43 inches. Usually they are within 1/2 inch of each other.

Ride height valve adjustments must be properly set. Not sure if is applicable to all Country Coaches, but all ride valve adjustments are to be made with the engine running after it was started with the bags completely deflated. Not many shops are going to crawl under your coach and adjust a height control valve with the engine running unless they have a pit to work from.

As a point reference, find out what your center of wheel measurement is and use it as a quick reference. Just make sure all the variables such as tire size, pressure, level ground & engine running from a start with deflated bags.

Happy trails and be safe!
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #19

Thanks for the input, Roadrunner. You're right as rain about the "proper" setting of the ride heigth.

On this 2001 Magna, the front setting (8 5/8 inches bag height), is duck soup to measure and set. Not so with the rear. With two bags on each side (I'll call them leading and trailing), it is very difficult to determine if the ride heigth is set properly, which is,,"8 inches, measured from the bottom of the frame rail to the bottom of the bag" (i.e. the support plate for the bag).

Yeah,,right! Measured at what point? Front of the leading bag? That's easy. At the rear of the trailing bag? A little more difficult (for a fat person). You can forget measuring in-between the two bags! Take a look.

The reason I point this out is, there will be a big difference (1 inch) between these two measurment points, regardless of the present "setting". The rear of the trailing bag being the shortest. Stands to reason, what with the engine/trans hanging out back there.

A "common" point, such as you mentioned ( axle center up to bottom of wheel well faring) would be great but, are all wheel well openings created equal? Can you hang your hat on that?

Prior to this Magna, I had a 37' Vogue II (1984). It had 8 airbags ( 4 & 4). Same heigth control valve setup (3). Again, the front was easy. The rear setting did not concern itself with actual bag height but, as you said, a measurment from the center of the axle up to an easy referance point on the coach. Duck soup!

Hwy23
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #20

The wheelwell measurement is only a reference you can use AFTER YOU HAVE PROPERLY ADJUSTED YOUR COACH. It is not a measurement to be used to do the adjustment. Too many variables and each coach is different. It is just a reference point to keep check on your own coach once you determine what that is.

Personally, I would never crawl under the coach to do the adjustment. Not a safe move with little room for a mistake to be made.

Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote