RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
HWH has me stranded

We just returned home after 17 days with no problems. I parked my 2000 Intrigue for 4 days at my house. I noticed when I got into it today, the air in both tanks were down to about 50lbs. I had two warnings (red lights on the dash) when I turned on the ignition switch to on. I figured it was just that it had set for four days & nights and I am sure I had turned the HWH system on.
Well, I started the coach, turned off the HWH system and I am pretty sure the green travel light came on but can't be too sure about that.
I drove about 12 miles and was on an IH service road stopping at an intersection and I noticed just before I put on the brakes, the front end seemed to be hopping (maybe bounding might be a better term to use but up & down. My 1st thought was it was from the trucks that had rutted the roadway while coming to a stop there but I then noticed that two red lights were glowing on the HWH panel.
I pulled over and messed with it a bit. Turning on the leveling system, it will try to level itself but doesn't seem to be able to. I can't get the two lights to go off and the front is bouncy. I had to move it so I did drive it (slowly about 25mph) to a parking lot but I'm stumped. Of course it's a Friday night and HWH isn't open until Monday but I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what this issue may be. Is there a way to reset it? Valve just go bad?
As always, I appreciate your assistance.
Respectfully

G5

Grandad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

for clarification with the coach running and parking brake off is the front end at ride height? If not the problem could be a blown bag to the front ride height valve. If it wont raise with hwh likely a blown bag.
the last time i called hwh it took 4 weeks for a call back.

IASM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #3

Take a look under the front end, and find the front Ride Height Valves. Look for a lever with a small plastic spool wheel on it. See if it's slid out of the slot on a metal piece hanging down by it. If so, try putting the plastic spool wheel back into the slot. (You may have to unbolt it, 7/16 as I recall, to get it into the slot, and then re-bolt it back to the lever.

Some coaches Ride Height Valves Levers, can also some time pull out of a rubber like grommet wheel. So you might find an arm hanging loose.

Without the Ride Height Valve working, and yes - they do fail from age sometimes, the HWW does not know to stop when you are at the right level for Travel Mode. And the front air bags feel up - and that gives you the rough bouncy ride...

Good luck to you, and let us know what you find out...
Smitty

(Note: We just broke a Sway Bar Bracket weld two days ago. This pulled our Ride Height Level Arm out of the slot... So just one thru the process of the bouncing ride... I was close enough to a shop, and as luck would have it the owner let me pull in at about 2:20PM, and pulled a Tech off of another job to weld the broken bracket, and reset the Travel Mode to proper height again. I put the lever back in myself once, but the sway bar twisted too much within a few miles, and it came out again... So, it's fresh in my memory!!)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #4

Can you raise the the front end to ride height with the HWH control panel? Engine on, parking brake on, transmission in neutral and try leveling with the control panel. If so, you can pull the 7.5 amp fuse in the HWH control box and disable the HWH system from trying to re-level. It is the only 7.5 amp fuse in the box. This is a temporary fix for those of us that have a faulty ride height valve or bad HWH solenoid valve.

If you do travel with this change, stop every so often and check the ride height as a small leak will allow the coach to drop below ride height..
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Thank you all for replying. I'm just lucky that I only got about 15 min from the house and I got parked in a safe place.
I'm getting ready to look into it now that it's daylight.

Smitty77, you mentioned the Ride Height Valve, I looked at HWH schematics and see that the front has 1 valve and the rear has 2, if i'm reading it correctly.

Hopefully I can, 1. find this valve and 2. make an easy repair like put the plastic spool wheel back into the slot.

If that's not it, maybe I can get it level, remove the fuse and get it home.

I'll really appreciate this forum and the guidance you all provide.

G5
Old 11-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #6

If I need a new valve, is this something I can just replace or does it need adjustments once replaced?
Yes, I am new to this coach and am in a LARGE learning curve with it,
Thanks.

G5
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
Community Moderator

When this thing happens, fyi - it's safe to drive it as only as slow.

As above suggested, likely it's the front ride height valve shot. Ours had this problem in less than one year after we got our coach. We ended up with replacing the valve. There was a twist - the new valve wasn't a direct replacement, a 90 degree linkage had to be made. At the time I wasn't able to tack it myself, had a RV repair shop get it done.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Unless you get it replaced by those familiar with CC's like Premiere, OMC (in Junction City, OR), Eric Olstrom (in Tucson, AZ), Butch Williams (in Lakeland, FL), etc, most generic RV shops either may not know how or not willing to do the height adjustment on a CC afterward. It took me years of wondering why our coach was wandering around on the road that I had to constantly correct the steering wheel until I adjusted it right. Be careful working under the coach!
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

It may be needing replaced.
The control panel doesn't seem to work correctly and I can't get the two front red lights to go out. If I add air to the front, the travel light will come on for a few seconds and then goes out and the two red lights come back on.
I'll try to level it and remove the fuse to see if I can drive it to a shop. Biggest trouble with that plan is the closest repair shop that I know of (that works on HWH systems) is 100 miles away.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Any truck shop can replace the valve if you aren't willing to do so. Be careful while under the coach. The valve can be reached from the Pax side if you turn the wheel enough to get it out of the way.

You do not have to open up the HWH box to pull a fuse. In the fuse panel under the drivers seat, the fuse labeled "step" will shut power off. IIRC the wire number is 58.

Even with a bad ride valve you should be able to get the front up to ride height and keep it there. Start the motor, trans in park, use the button to raise the front, pull the fuse. If you put the trans in drive without pulling the fuse, the coach will drop.

Been there, done that. Good luck
Old 11-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #11

On my 2000 I have one ride height valve in the middle. If you can pump up the front end and pull the fuse, you should be good to drive to your local repair shop.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #12

Okay this is what I have found.
According to the 12V circuit label on the fuse box, wire #274 is for the leveling system. It has a 20amp fuse. The only two 7.5amp fuses in there is wire # 88 Stereo sys and wire # 87 labeled Option Color Monitor.
Still, I removed fuse for wire # 274 and the HWH monitor still shows the two front red lights when the key is on. I'm puzzled as I thought I might remove the fuse and then if the bouncing would minimize I could drive it slowly to a repair shop. I would think the label is correctly identifying the wire number.

I tried dumping the air a couple of times and letting it come back, turned the system on and it seemed to try to level it'self but nothing I did made any improvement.

In reading the HWH textbook, it states "The only manufacturers using a
500 Series leveling system are Country Coach and
converters of Prevost buses without room extensions." So I'm guessing this is the 500 series.
I didn't see any writing or markings on the valve to indicate a part number.
I suppose i will have to remove the valve before I can identify the part?

Now, I guess my only option is to call and or email HWH on Monday unless an aftermarket can be purchased??

Can I just replace it or will it need tweaking?

Thank
G5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191116_155348.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	267067  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #13

Can you turn on the system and use the front arrows to lift the front up, then pull the fuse?
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #14

Name:   Haldex Ride Height VAlve.bmp
Views: 6
Size:  207.4 KB

I believe the replacement ride height valve is a Haldex 90555105. The original valves were all metal and aren't made any longer.

Also, try getting in touch with AZPETE on this forum. HWH person that helps lots of people here.

2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh