Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hydraulic fluid change/service

Wondering how many of my fellow CC owners have done or had someone change the hydraulic fluid in your coach? That is likely the only fluid I have not changed since we got the coach 18 months ago. When I asked the folks at Cummins about it, the service manager noted the absolutely bright red, clean looking fluid in the sight glass on the reservoir and suggested I would be wasting my money. I changed the huge spin on filter and topped off the reservoir.

On my previous coach on a Freightliner chassis, there was only a power steering fluid reservoir which I did drain an refill. Their flushing procedure involved raising the front wheels off the ground and having someone turn the wheel (with engine off) back and forth which pumped out the old fluid, while you added new fluid to the reservoir.

If I decide to do this, is the process simply to drain the reservoir, change the filter and refill? If so, that would seem to leave a lot of old fluid in the plumbing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Edit: I wanted to edit my previous post but it seems the forum admins now prevent editing after a very brief period .

Checked the spiral manual for the coach it gives conflicting information. In one section on the 'Hydraulic System' it says that as long as there is no evidence of fluid contamination, there is no maintenance required other than periodic filter changes and topping off.

In the Maintenance Schedule section, it says to change the fluid and filter every two years. The only reference to draining the system says if fluid is contaminated, disconnect at the steering gear and drain the system then refill.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

On my rig I only drain the tank and replace that fluid after exposing and changing the buried Nelson filter.

Done every three years, I suspect the old fluid gets highly diluted after a couple of cycles. Three years would equal about 15,000 miles for us.

Of course, the fluid and the filter involved work hard to exceed $25 and my time has no value....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

I have changed the 3 Nelson filters one time when I got it and will be changing again in the spring along with about 2 gallons of Dexron 3 ATF this time. I thing the only time you need to change all the oil is when a bearing goes out and you have iron in the system.
If needed pull an oil sample and send it in.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

This is very interesting conversation. My 2008 FE Inspire has like 80 quarts of 10/30 motor oil in it. We have not owned it long and after the first 1000 miles the hydo light came on. Since it had sat most of its 8 years at the time of our purchase I just changed the filter. Did another 1000 mile trip with no Hydo light issue. Our next trip was recently and again the light came on. Stopped in a CAT dealer and we worked the trouble shooting process together. There is a sending unit on the filter housing base and we unhooked the wires. The light stayed on. So we unhooked another sending unit on the hydraulic fan just for kicks. The light stayed on. The CAT mechanic thought that there was a pressure issue as the fan was always running and he said it shouldn't. I had them order a filter, they did not have one in stock and told them when it comes in I would set up some time for them to inspect the hydraulic system. My wife and I continued on our way while the light stayed on all the time. I thought and still do that it is either the sending unit or again the filter. I read up on the fan it is at least a two maybe three stage fan and should always be turning. We got back and I set into changing the oil 60 quarts in the tank and 20 in the lines. I am doing this as I do not think that oil should go that long without changing it. Also part of my process by elimination. Anyways CAT has not called me back so I went ahead and have some Baldwin filters on order. I bought the fifteen gals of oil today with some fittings to attach to the drain plug with a ball valve so that it can be drained through a hose attachment if and when ever it is done again. I never have been able to understand the thought processes that these manufactures have while building these motor homes. I had to purchase a hand pump, take the top plate of the hydraulic tank on pump it as dry as I could that way. I then used a plastic cup to finish it up. Right below the hydraulic tank is the big ole muffler so there was "no" way I was draining it that way. There is a drain now for $54 more dollars retail so you know that CC could of put one in cheaper than that. Anyways tomorrow I will fill it back up install the plate again and hopefully the filter will be in. While waiting though the secondary fuel filter and housing bracket is mounted to high and the fuel hose to it goes under the hydraulic oil filter. In order to remove the hydraulic filter I have to either remove the hydraulic housing from the tank then remove the filter or remove the fuel line bracket holding it up under the oil filter. Man it never ends huh. Anyway it will all be easier the next time after I am done. I only wish I add your issue (-: Later all.

Tagaxle
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, service