Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the shop, holding on to my wallet

We just left the coach at a new-to-us independent RV repair shop in the Richmond, VA area since we now live here. Getting the roof radius repainted/new clear coat, replace carpet, replace sway bar end links, brackets and bushings, and getting the 1000 hr recommended service on the Onan 10K generator. The shop is full service and does just about anything on an RV. They advise the 1000 hr generator service will include valve lash, new belt and coolant hoses, coolant flush/refill, new head gasket, new t-stat, oil change and all filters, clean spark arrestor. Estimate for Onan service is $1500 - $1800 which includes parts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We just left the coach at a new-to-us independent RV repair shop in the Richmond, VA area since we now live here. Getting the roof radius repainted/new clear coat, replace carpet, replace sway bar end links, brackets and bushings, and getting the 1000 hr recommended service on the Onan 10K generator. The shop is full service and does just about anything on an RV. They advise the 1000 hr generator service will include valve lash, new belt and coolant hoses, coolant flush/refill, new head gasket, new t-stat, oil change and all filters, clean spark arrestor. Estimate for Onan service is $1500 - $1800 which includes parts.
Glen,

New head gasket! That sounds a bit much I would think. They might as well do a valve job as the head will be off.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think I would be replacing the head gasket as a PM service...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I don't think I would be replacing the head gasket as a PM service...
I agree! If it ain't broke don't fix it! Is there a known problem with the OEM gasket?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 AM   #5

I think OP meant valve cover gasket?
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Lets us know how this shop performs for you. I am just north of Richmond and it has been difficult to find good RV service in this region.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I am sure he meant valve cover gasket. I have to get something out of the coach there today and plan to clarify. I agree that head gasket replacement is not necessary and it certainly is not on the maintenance schedule in the manual for the generator.

The shop is RV Service of Virginia in Ashland. They get great reviews on RV Service Reviews.

http://www.rvserviceofva.com/
Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Ah yes, the wonderful thing about these rolling homes of ours - is how we can help communities economic prosperity!! Travel enjoyment, is secondary...

Sounds like your doing the right kind of maintenance, and the front cap rejuvenation will pay dividends down the roads in both grins at how well the cap shines up, and some easier maintenance as the bugs should just slide right off!!

If the generator is going to be apart for that much maintenance, add a new temp sensor into the mix too. They're not real expensive, and I know on the QD8000 series, their prone for going out shutting down the generator in self preservation mode.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 AM   #9

you may have come out better to just trade for new coach.?!#
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd agree with most of above on no head gasket needed and add that the price is probably consistent as well. For a gas engine its high but it's what you'd expect from an "official" diesel shop.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
YC1

I too bet it is the valve cover gasket since they are going to adjust the valves. If your generator is not on a slide it is a bugger to work on. I just did the 1000 hour on mine but fortunately mine is on a slide. The factory is proud of the price for the thermostat and pressure cap. I believe new hoses are probably included in the service because they are indicated in the manual as a replacement item. Also the fuel filter needs to be replaced.

This list does not show the fuel filter or oil filter. I keep those on hand for normal maintenance. They should also remove a plug from you muffler to clean the carbon out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator parts list for 1000 hrs service.pdf (89.8 KB, 39 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote