Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Inspections Results on 2005 Intrigue Ovation - Iffy?

All right, the inspection report is back (minus fluid analyses) and I'm...unsure whether I want to push on with the rig or not.

Big things are missing roof vent cap, some cracks in the sealant up there, a slightly charred/melted battery door inner skin, one slide with some lower seal damage, and two tires.

The tag tires are both dated 4411, which I really don't like. The other tires are all matched at 1915 which I'm OK with. (Feel free to correct me at any time, here!)

Also, there's a Kenmore residential fridge in there (serial number dated from 2014), but there was no sign of a separate inverter. The original inverter, a Xantrex RV2012 is the only one listed (and not even really found...). I'm concerned that that modified sine wave inverter is too small for the rig and fridge, and it should be pure sine wave or I can expect trouble.

The batteries were too dirty to get date data from, although we may get that tomorrow.

Also, the original HHE-500-07M Hyrdo-Hot is still on board. It worked like a champ on inspection day, but I worry about the future reliability of the unit.

I'd really like some thoughts on this list. The INSIDE of this coach is spotless, but the outside and underparts are giving me the jitters. Being a newbie I have to wonder if I'm being over-cautious.

Thanks much in advance!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

Dude, it is a USED coach. You will find a lot of things that you don't like such as dirty batteries. If your inspector could not find the inverter, get another inspector, this guy don't know squat. The inverter is a 2000 watt and is plenty large enough to handle the refer.
Like I said, it is a used coach. If you are looking for new tires, new batteries, a new refer, buy a new coach.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #3

YEP....a 14 year old USED coach

Items/concerns listed seem minor
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
That's what I was thinking. Thanks, guys. I just don't know enough to decide what's normal or not.
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #5

Sounds like you can use this to negotiate a price concession or get the seller to throw in new tires and batteries.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #6

My daughter has a 05 Monaco 36' and they have the Xantrex 458 Freedom MSW 2000w inverter and run there Fisher & Paykel RR frig all the time on the inverter. I had the Magnum 2812 PSW inverter installed when I had my Samsung installed, didn't have to but I did, going on 6 years running on the inverter.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

Doesn't sound to bad to me.
$10.00 vent cover and a $8.00 tube of dicor.
Take the 4411 tires on the tag and chuck them and put the front 1915s in their place then get two new fronts. $1,200.00
Batteries? Mine are dirty also. Replaced mine a few years ago. We have four 8d's
I think I paid around $800.00 for them. I'm sure this coaches are different.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #8

Another thing to look for, besides the inspectors report, is the documented maintenance history on this coach. If from a private owner, no reason to not have available the history maintenance record to review.

I've also seen two kinds of owner's, during the transition from active RV usage, to one of not so active and easing up to the time to sell decision. One kind owner, no mater if they are not using it as much, and possibly feeling the time is coming ahead to sell the RV - will still maintain the RV as if it is heading out on a long trip tomorrow. The second kind of owner lets the coach sit, no longer takes as much care as it as they once did, let things slide a bit - as they know they have to sell it.

Of course, the first kind of owner is the one we'd all like to buy a rolling classic of a Country Coach from! But, if the second kind of owner does have the documented history up to the point where they sort of stepped away from RV'ing. Well, then it's a matter of 'how long' they let it go... As mentioned, a few of the warts reported by the inspector, just come off the costs of what you should be paying for the coach.

I also have a slight concern that the inspector did not locate the inverter, which I agree should have enough power (And if the Freedom, is a robust inverter, much different then what the current company sells today.) run the residential fridge.

If you too have reservations about the thoroughness and or expertise of the inspector, finding and paying for another one might be a good investment.

You said the inside was in good shape, that's usually a god sing overall...

If documentation is missing, and you elect to go ahead and purchase the coach - budget for a full maintenance cycle of the engine, generator, chassis, perhaps air brake drier (If not documented being done recently.). Pull samples of oil too. This way, along with a tire shop's inspection of the remaining younger tires, and replacement as noted of two new ones to the Steers - you have a good baseline going forward to both maintain, and get a comfortable feeling that you'll be OK to go use the coach!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Sounds like you can use this to negotiate a price concession or get the seller to throw in new tires and batteries.
The batteries don't look too bad and the rig started right up so I'm thinking I could be OK there. The tires, though... The dealer said the tires were all from 2015 before I put money down and paid for the inspection so I think I will ask for a concession there. And the inspector marked those tires as life safety issues. Maybe that will help me with the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
My daughter has a 05 Monaco 36' and they have the Xantrex 458 Freedom MSW 2000w inverter and run there Fisher & Paykel RR frig all the time on the inverter. I had the Magnum 2812 PSW inverter installed when I had my Samsung installed, didn't have to but I did, going on 6 years running on the inverter.

2 stroker
Sweet! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Doesn't sound to bad to me.
$10.00 vent cover and a $8.00 tube of dicor.
Take the 4411 tires on the tag and chuck them and put the front 1915s in their place then get two new fronts. $1,200.00
Batteries? Mine are dirty also. Replaced mine a few years ago. We have four 8d's
I think I paid around $800.00 for them. I'm sure this coaches are different.
I was thinking that same thing about the tires. Thanks much. And I found a bunch of vent covers already.

You know, I haven't seen much on age itself being a problem for batteries - or at least it's not THE indicator they may be bad. The opposite of tires, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Another thing to look for, besides the inspectors report, is the documented maintenance history on this coach. If from a private owner, no reason to not have available the history maintenance record to review.

I've also seen two kinds of owner's, during the transition from active RV usage, to one of not so active and easing up to the time to sell decision. One kind owner, no mater if they are not using it as much, and possibly feeling the time is coming ahead to sell the RV - will still maintain the RV as if it is heading out on a long trip tomorrow. The second kind of owner lets the coach sit, no longer takes as much care as it as they once did, let things slide a bit - as they know they have to sell it.

Of course, the first kind of owner is the one we'd all like to buy a rolling classic of a Country Coach from! But, if the second kind of owner does have the documented history up to the point where they sort of stepped away from RV'ing. Well, then it's a matter of 'how long' they let it go... As mentioned, a few of the warts reported by the inspector, just come off the costs of what you should be paying for the coach.

I also have a slight concern that the inspector did not locate the inverter, which I agree should have enough power (And if the Freedom, is a robust inverter, much different then what the current company sells today.) run the residential fridge.

If you too have reservations about the thoroughness and or expertise of the inspector, finding and paying for another one might be a good investment.

You said the inside was in good shape, that's usually a god sing overall...

If documentation is missing, and you elect to go ahead and purchase the coach - budget for a full maintenance cycle of the engine, generator, chassis, perhaps air brake drier (If not documented being done recently.). Pull samples of oil too. This way, along with a tire shop's inspection of the remaining younger tires, and replacement as noted of two new ones to the Steers - you have a good baseline going forward to both maintain, and get a comfortable feeling that you'll be OK to go use the coach!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Awesome, Smitty - thanks a bunch! Maintenance records do not exist inside the coach. Zilch. And I'm a bit nervous about that. While I was inside on inspection day, going through paperwork, another salesman brought someone in and made the comment that the seller had changed out the transmission fluid "the day before he brought it to them." Yet the oil was NOT fresh. Hmmm. I'm really looking forward to the fluid analyses getting back!

One very good thing: I did manage to confirm that the wet spline PTO mod had been done. Yay.

Steve
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Dude, it is a USED coach. You will find a lot of things that you don't like such as dirty batteries. If your inspector could not find the inverter, get another inspector, this guy don't know squat. The inverter is a 2000 watt and is plenty large enough to handle the refer.
Like I said, it is a used coach. If you are looking for new tires, new batteries, a new refer, buy a new coach.

Or, replace the tires, battery and refrigerator, small amount of cash compared to what you would spend to buy a new coach and a new coach wouldn’t be a Country Coach. The items you are talking about are consumables so no matter what you buy you would be replacing those at some point.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #11

OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE! BE SURE THAT ALL THE FACTROY SUPPLIED DOCUMENTS ARE WITH THE COACH. WIREING, PLUMING DIAGRAMS, OPERATION MANUALS ETC.

If you are concerned about the size or the type of the inverter you can add a second inverter for some short money that JUST drives the fridge. I have heard (no real evidence) that Samsung fridges have an issue with modified sine wave inverters. I also don't know if this would extend to the Kenmore residential fridge. As to the inspector. get another one. If the can't find the inverter what else are they not finding.
If a CAT motor get engine sn and call CAT RV support. They can give you engine history if serviced at CAT or under warrantee. (had a gut trying to sell me a 17,000mi coach with 47000 mi on the motor). I would however take it to a service center and have it plugged in to check for engine and transmission error codes if you haven't done so already. I would get the owners to kick in to replace the 2 tires. What is interesting is that on my tag, the pressures are at max for the tires so it is carrying a greater load/tire. Don't want the oldest tires there!
Batteries and the rest of it seems pretty typical. Batteries are a consumable and quality varies. expect to change them sooner or later.
As for the aqua hot I would not be concerned as to age. The new ones are built pretty much the same way. Biggest concern is leaks or if it was frozen. (antifreeze leaking into or out of the fresh water system). All else can be fixed.

Just to prepare you. I would make 2 comments.
1) Everything will NOT work correctly no matter how much you try to catch it before you buy it. Operate everything you can think of. 6 months down the road you will be finding out new things about it.
2) Everything on a new coach Will NOT work either. (and to my opinion aren't built as well).
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
Or, replace the tires, battery and refrigerator, small amount of cash compared to what you would spend to buy a new coach and a new coach wouldn’t be a Country Coach. The items you are talking about are consumables so no matter what you buy you would be replacing those at some point.
Tires are being replaced today by the current steers, and new tires going up front. SOLVED!
The batteries actually ended up just being covered in soot and engine grime (very close proximity) and they look great. Fridge is good to go.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlce View Post
OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE! BE SURE THAT ALL THE FACTROY SUPPLIED DOCUMENTS ARE WITH THE COACH. WIREING, PLUMING DIAGRAMS, OPERATION MANUALS ETC.

If you are concerned about the size or the type of the inverter you can add a second inverter for some short money that JUST drives the fridge. I have heard (no real evidence) that Samsung fridges have an issue with modified sine wave inverters. I also don't know if this would extend to the Kenmore residential fridge. As to the inspector. get another one. If the can't find the inverter what else are they not finding.
If a CAT motor get engine sn and call CAT RV support. They can give you engine history if serviced at CAT or under warrantee. (had a gut trying to sell me a 17,000mi coach with 47000 mi on the motor). I would however take it to a service center and have it plugged in to check for engine and transmission error codes if you haven't done so already. I would get the owners to kick in to replace the 2 tires. What is interesting is that on my tag, the pressures are at max for the tires so it is carrying a greater load/tire. Don't want the oldest tires there!
Batteries and the rest of it seems pretty typical. Batteries are a consumable and quality varies. expect to change them sooner or later.
As for the aqua hot I would not be concerned as to age. The new ones are built pretty much the same way. Biggest concern is leaks or if it was frozen. (antifreeze leaking into or out of the fresh water system). All else can be fixed.

Just to prepare you. I would make 2 comments.
1) Everything will NOT work correctly no matter how much you try to catch it before you buy it. Operate everything you can think of. 6 months down the road you will be finding out new things about it.
2) Everything on a new coach Will NOT work either. (and to my opinion aren't built as well).
I've got more manuals than equipment, actually. It's all there. I got some great maintenance history (finally), too.
The Kenmore fridge has been running well, but I'm going to do some research on modified vs. pure sine needs for that model of fridge. I might add a second inverter to ease the load on the primary, but I need to actually own it for a bit and look at some numbers.
I've got recent motor data pull from a Cat service center and it looks good to the unpracticed eye. The verbiage spells out the condition well enough. She's good.
Thank you for that comment about the Aqua-Hot's age. I'll be watching it closely but I'll try and relax a bit.

So in case it hasn't come through in the previous rambling - we have purchased the coach. We pick her up and drive her home Thursday.
-------

A big THANK YOU to all for the help. You were the training wheels that Country Coach didn't provide.

Steve
Old 02-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #13

Congratulations
Now we will need some pictures
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

X2 none of this happened without pics.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote