Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Installing Winegard Road Trip

Hello, All,
I finally gave up on hooking up the Trac Star antenna to my Dish Receiver and bought a Wineguard Road Trip In-motion antenna to replace it.
The first challenge was to get the Road Trip mounted on the roof of my Affinity. I did not want to drill any more holes on the roof than there are already, so I have made a 3/16" steel plate that anchors to the four existing bolts on the roof and then made four additional holes to fasten the Road Trip to the plate. So that worked out well. Now, my second challenge is to find a way to get the power cable for the Road Trip from the roof to inside the coach. The Trac Star only had a single coax with no power on the roof.
The Road Trip needs a coax and a 12v power. Fortunately, the antenna would be right over the cab, not very far from the cabinet over the entry door where the antenna switch/connections will be.
So, my question is what is the best way to get the power cable from the cabinet to the roof?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I usually drill a small ( 1/8') pilot hole up from inside the cabinet. As long as you are NOT beside an air conditioner, you shouldn't hit anything catastrophic. Remember, you are only drilling through a thin piece of plywood (ceiling), some Styrofoam insulation, and then another thin piece of plywood. If you do feel the drill hit anything "hard", stop. Something "hard" there, is most likely a roof joist, and therefore something to be avoided. Assuming all is well so far, unchuck the drill bit and leave it sticking through the roof. Go up above now, and make sure you are where you though you should be. It's a lot easier to fix a small 1/8" hole than the bigger hole you will drill for the cables. If you are still satisfied then drill the hole larger to accommodate the coax and power cable.

Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I used the existing antenna lead hole for all the wires from the Roadtrip. Just make it bigger if necessary.

In my case that was the same hole over the AV compartment that the prior KVH ran wires through.

Used lots of Dicor on the and all has been well for 2 years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I used the existing antenna lead hole for all the wires from the Roadtrip. Just make it bigger if necessary.

In my case that was the same hole over the AV compartment that the prior KVH ran wires through.

Used lots of Dicor on the and all has been well for 2 years.
Dean: That sounds promising! Especially if the coax from the roof goes to the cabinet over the entry door just to the left as you enter the door. The is the cabinet that houses the DVD player and the whole works. This will only be three or four feet from where the coax goes into the roof. If it goes to the front cabinet where the existing Star Trac controls are then that is a bit farther - probably 8 to 10 feet. Do you remember how yours went? Of course it may be totally different than mine is. And how did you fish the wire?
If that doesn't work. I'll do Don's suggestion (Post #2)
Thank you both for your input!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
The cabinet of entry for the power line and antenna coax is the A/V cabinet over the passenger seat .

I installed the power switch there as the KVH switch was there prior (two different switches) along with the BOMB.

I then ran the sat antenna coax in the overhead dash console to the LED TV cabinet over the driver's head (yours will be different 13 years later).

Behind the LED TV I have mounted a DVR (plus two coax to hook up a exterior portable satellite and also all the stuff needed for future DTV HD).

The output from the DVR goes back around to the BOMB on the pssgr side via Coax.

The input to the TV makes a return trip from the BOMB to the TV around the front overhead console.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Dean, I appreciate that. I think I will call Butch Williams, he may know where the existing coax from the roof is leading to, before tearing into it. Regards

Tags
install