Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Intrigue, fogged windows?

In our quest to find a Country Coach in our budget that we like, we have come across a 2006 intrigue, 40' that we both like. It also has a 400 Cummins, which I prefer over the CAT.

The owner says that some of the windows have fogged up, but only one was replaced.

It has the original tires.
it has been sitting for about 2 years
It was used primarily to go to warmer weather and sit for about 3 months each year.

There is some minor checking on the dark paint.

Other than those issues, it is in good shape, and has been kept in storage with only one owner. Before I think about making an offer, I need to know what new windows would cost (or exactly what causes the fogged windows).

We also need to set aside some funds to replace the living room carpet with a new hardwood or vinyl floor.

I only want to use 8 good quality replacement tires. Any recommendations?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

I like Michelins however, I am thinking about 4 Goodyear for the Duals. Based on previous post you will get lots of options .
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
For tires, you have a choice of Michelin,Toyo, Hankook, or Continental.Any of those three brands will work well with the coach. I tried some Goodyear G670s on my coach and they were terrible.

The windows can be repaired instead of total replacement. If you are handy, you can get a repair kit from Dave Root and DIY. I have had windows repaired for $175- 200 each depending on size

The paint checking is not curable without a lot of money.

Now some expensive stuff. Some say to check the radiator as they are prone to leaking. Also check the PTO to see if it has the "wet" kit installed. You can get away without the wet kit if you pay close attention to the lubrication schedule (5K miles between lube jobs)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #4

What Don said. I have had all my windows resealed, wet PTO installed, steet & copper radiator, ditched the Norcold for the Samsung RR frig, got 6 Michelin through FMCA 6 years ago may go with Toyo next time, about $200 less per tire than the Michelin.
If it is an 06 check the S/N for bad wrist pins, the info is in the Cummins section at the top.
Good Hunting
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

For the tires, look down on the thread list, dmg111 asked the very same question, lot of good info there.

For fogged windows, if you drive down south to Qsite in Jan, call Auto Glass Boss in Phoenix they'll come over do it for $100 per section.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

If the owner does not have receipts on the regular maintenance schedule, I'd add some preventative maintenance into you budgeting too:
-New belts
-Belt Tensioner
-Replace the radiator hoses
-Replace the Thermostat
-Replace the Air Cartridge Dryer
-Differential fluid change
-Tests Radiator Fluid, if bad, and not already, change one to an OAT based coolant
-Full LOF on chassis
-Full service of Generator, replaces hoses, fan belt, thermostat
-Hydraulic fluid filter and fluid changeover
-Aqua/Hydro Hot test for proper mix, drain flush refill if in question
-Should have Transyn in it. Which may still be fine. Pull an sample and send in for analysis, and see what it says
(Lots of the above may not be needed, if the owner has documented history of repairs. Hoses are some people wait on, but I had our hoses replaced preventatively at age 12. Yes, they seemed to still be OK. But I prefer to due maintenance change over's on my time and schedule, vs while out and traveling.)

Adding to the other posters comments:
-Look at the radiator. If the side caps have bolts on them, or if you stick a magnet up and it attaches to them, then you do not have one of the suspect aluminum radiators
-Yes to check the engine SN on the Cummins Wrist Pin range (The Cummins section has a sticky with the SN ranges.)
-Lots to read up on about tires, but agree with Don's listings. I've seen some owners put Hankooks and or Toyo's on the rear positions. And Michelin on the Steers, to save some budget. But I also would have know hesitation putting Hankooks or Toyo's on the Steer positions as well. (Toss Continental and BF Goodrich's ST230 into the mix of tires to consider, both FMCA discounted too.)
-Shocks. At least to start with on the Steers, many are very happy with the change over to Koni EVO 99's
-After you get out and drive it some, if you would like to improve the handling and suspending setting faster on mountain S curves or emergency maneuvers, the Source Engineering Comfort Control Valves do help on the air suspension
-If going to the Samsung RF18 route, which we enjoy a great deal in our coach, also factor in battery capacity. It may need to be bumped up. And determine if you want to add a second dedicated Pure Sine Wave Inverter to feed the Samsung.

As you can see, all of us are more then willing to help you spend some coin. But I also assure you that other then getting the mechanical items up to snuff, and tires too - the rest can be phased in. To save coin. (And you will need to, as if this is your first CC - it's mandatory to slip a nice bottle of scotch over to each CC owner you meet on the road the first time. (Let me know your travel plans, and we'll arrange for a handoff.))... Go use the coach, both of you start thinking about what modifications of interior and or mechanical that you might want to make in the future to make it 'your coach'...

And don't let the gang, especial this long winded poster, spook you - these are marvelous coaches. And if you take good care of them, they'll take good care of you. A person in the park we're at now, had a new SOB coach, mid tier (And I won't share the name to avoid conflicts.) - after three years of traveling, and twice back to factory to have fixes to fixes taken care of, and then fail again - they'd had it. They still had a Sticks & Bricks home, so the owner did a major detail to his RV, and sold it on Craigslist at full asking price within two weeks!). He and his wife had originally been considering older higher end CC's/Newmar's/Monaco's. It took them 5 months of searching, but they're now very happy with an 03 Magna with C12, 3 Slide coach... They've done next to nothing mechanically on it since they bought it, as the previous owner had full documentation and maintained it very well. They're doing some interior refreshing, adding another cabinet in one location, changed some cosmetic things... And said after just one 1 year of usage, that they know they made the right decision. The difference in quality, the solid foundation of the chassis - etc...

I hope this coach is the right one for you. If not, keep looking!

Best of luck to you both, have fun along the way,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

Thanks again for all of your detailed info on what to look for. I just made an offer which is quite a bit lower than the asking price (due to its age and old tires, and othe issues that must be replaced). If they accept, we will take a trip and see.

I am thinking about hiring a nearby Rv service or repair guy to do an inspection of the coach before we make the trip. I don't really want a professional inspector, just someone who knows diesel pushers and can spot issues and take more pictures.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Still thinking about a 2006 Intrigue. I haven't seen it in person yet, and there is a very good chance that all of those previously listed issues have not been addressed.

Is the dry PTO an issue with every model and year?

What can I expect to pay for replacing a aluminum radiator with a steel and copper one, including radiator hoses, fluid etc.

How about labor costs for replacing the floor with vinyl or wood.

These things are going through my mind as I decide to follow through. I do want a CC, and I am hoping that my desire to own one is not overriding my common sense for additional costs.

Do any of you have a 400 ISL in you CC, and does it have enough torque and power to go over Colorado mountains with a Toad? This coach has a dry weight of 40,000 lbs, and a GVWR of 54000 lbs. I have been told that the C-13 is better for this Coach.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Still thinking about a 2006 Intrigue. I haven't seen it in person yet, and there is a very good chance that all of those previously listed issues have not been addressed.

Is the dry PTO an issue with every model and year?

What can I expect to pay for replacing a aluminum radiator with a steel and copper one, including radiator hoses, fluid etc.

How about labor costs for replacing the floor with vinyl or wood.

These things are going through my mind as I decide to follow through. I do want a CC, and I am hoping that my desire to own one is not overriding my common sense for additional costs.

Do any of you have a 400 ISL in you CC, and does it have enough torque and power to go over Colorado mountains with a Toad? This coach has a dry weight of 40,000 lbs, and a GVWR of 54000 lbs. I have been told that the C-13 is better for this Coach.
They use the PTO for steering and running the fan.
My radiator ran $5700 installed by Quinn Cat in Calif.
Floor around 5k I would think.
Here is a nice 40ft tag with a C-13 Cat 525 HP
https://www.premierrvservices.com/20...intrigue-40-4/
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Dual pane windows were just a dumb idea. They sound great because of the perceived insulation value but in reality don't make a lot of difference. Over time the flexing breaks the seal between the panes and moisture gets in there with no way to escape. I won't repair mine, I will have them replaced with single pane laminated glass and be done with it. Repairs will eventually fail again.

Figure out what they sell for on average and knock 20-30 k off of that price. That figure probably wont get your paint repaired. Tires alone will be 4-5 k, flooring could be 3-5k easily, there will be many other small things that add up quickly. I have a lot of windows so for me that aspect adds another 3-4k. Awnings, slideout toppers, unknown leaks that you will discover when you remove the old flooring ..... We bought ours knowing things but were still surprised. If they never changed the tires what other things were ignored?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #11

Good advice. By the way, that intrigue at premier Rv is sold already.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #12

There is a Intrigue for sale just south of Portland. I know the owner, it is a nice coach, stored inside and meticulously maintained. It does have the CAT motor which you said that you didn't prefer, but it might be something to consider. It is on CL

As for the fogged windows, I would use Dave Root out of Bend Or.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window