Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Inverter not working

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone,

Since I'm a newbie I'm just hoping I'm missing something and don't have a problem on my hands. I have an 04 Allure Astoria 40' I purchased this past October #31026 and have yet to be able to actually use it. We live in Upstate NY and it went into storage in November. I parked it and turned off the main batter switch in the rear and had been going over weekly to plug in into the nearest outlet and let it charge for the day, but always turn on the batter switch forst. Yesterday I went over and did the same thing as always except this time its been about 3 weeks and a few snow storms later since I was able to plug it back in. I turned the switch to the on position and plugged it in. I heard the loud thunk that usually happens after I plug it in and this time the clock came on the microwave, the panel on the Bose lit up but nothing on the inverter panel. No indication of charging, not a single light. Left it plugged in all night but nothing at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Michaeljsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #2

Check on the inverter itself, as they has a fuse. Check your manual on this, or google for the manual if you don't have one.

If you have not done so, also turn off the main power switch in the rear fuel filter basement, check the fuses in this bay too. Also turn off the Salesman Switch inside of the front door. Then cycle the rear main battery switch back on, followed by the Salesman switch.

Best of luck!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Test your house battery at its terminals using a voltmeter. If above 12.6 dcv (usually 14.4 dcv) your charger is working.

If working then you may just have an inverter display or breaker problem
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

You should also do the "master reset" for the controller. Go to the inverter and unplug the phone cord. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. Sometimes the controller gets mixed up especially with all the turning the battery on and off
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You should also do the "master reset" for the controller. Go to the inverter and unplug the phone cord. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. Sometimes the controller gets mixed up especially with all the turning the battery on and off
exactly it happened to me once.
flip the switch on inverter too.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #6

All of the above is good advice. I had to go one step further. I have two Heart Interface Freedom 458 inverter/chargers. One of them got in a state where the inverter would not turn on. I called Xantrex tech support and they said to do a "hard reset".

That consisted of unplugging the phone cord AND physically disconnecting the batteries. Turning off the salesman's switch is not enough. The batteries have to be disconnected. Xantrex said a couple of hours should be enough but I left mine disconnected overnight. The inverter came back up and has stayed up. Be forewarned that when you reconnect the batteries there's quite a spark when the cable makes contact with the post. I'm glad Xantrex told me about that before it happened.

If you do the hard reset and have AGM batteries, you should go through the part of the setup that tells the charger that it's dealing with AGM batteries. It's really simple. As mentioned above manuals should be online.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

Well, I guess the OP got his answer and solved his problem.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #8

Hi everyone,
I'm just getting back from the holiday and tried a few things. First thing we discovered is the battery's were dead. I've removed all 3 and now sitting in my shop on a slow charge so I'll update once I figure out if the AGM's are going to come back to life or not so I can install again and figure out if I have in inverter problem or not.

Thank you again for all the help!
Michaeljsz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter