Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #1

Invertrix 20

I have an 2002 CC intrigue with an Invertrix inverter/charger is anyone experiencing a problem with over charging and cooking the house batteries

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
The only information I have been able to find is that the trade mark was abandoned in 2002 which is good indication that this is defunct. So what is the voltage at the battery using your VOM/multimeter, there is no substitute for actually monitoring what goes into the battery. The best way is a Trimetric or Victron battery monitor.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
The only information I have been able to find is that the trade mark was abandoned in 2002 which is good indication that this is defunct. So what is the voltage at the battery using your VOM/multimeter, there is no substitute for actually monitoring what goes into the battery. The best way is a Trimetric or Victron battery monitor.
Thank you,I know they are out of business I did try to find them. I wanted to know if anyone else out there is having the same problem.
I have replaced the house batteries three times, due to over charging. I didn't want to replace the inverter if the problems is something else
To answer your question the voltage is 13.5 - 13.8
Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
That a bit too high should be about 13.2 when not charging but it is not boil it dry high. It is older technology however. I am not a fan of having anything bundled together i.e. I have a separate Progressive Dynamics converter and Morningstar 300W inverter (small trailer). Replacing batteries can get expensive upgrading to newer technology, the PD and a Magnum inverter could pay for itself.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

Assuming you are using wet cells...suggest the following troubleshooting routine:
1. Run the coach systems on 12V for a while...not plugged in...just the batts for a few hours to take the batts down from "full" ....the more stuff you can run the better.
2. Now turn everything off and plug in to power and run your Invertrix charger. At the terminals of your batts...measure voltage...it should be in the 14.2 to 14.5 range.
3. Now leave the coach overnite plugged in and charging and measure again with the charger running in the AM...you should see 13.2...13.4V ...nothing more.

If you get readings other than in the above range...your charger is not charging properly and is responsible for killing your batts. (I assume you are using distilled water and keeping the water ALWAYS above the plates in the batteries...otherwise all bets are off!)

Please specify brand size & type & number of batteries in your system if the charge is defective so we may help find an appropriate replacement. Would also be helpful to know how you use and/or store the coach. (i/e F/T or only a few weeks a year... stored in cold with power to coach)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

13.5 is the happy place for floating the batteries.

More than this and they gas off or consume water.

Charge current when floating shoukd be less that 0.1 % of capacity so 100 amp hr battery not to excede 0.1 amps float.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
13.5 is the happy place for floating the batteries.

More than this and they gas off or consume water.

Charge current when floating shoukd be less that 0.1 % of capacity so 100 amp hr battery not to excede 0.1 amps float.
13.5 is only a happy place for AGM's ...Wet cellls like he has are MUCH better at 13.2. Per attachment from Trojan Battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charging.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	47870  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
That a bit too high should be about 13.2 when not charging but it is not boil it dry high. It is older technology however. I am not a fan of having anything bundled together i.e. I have a separate Progressive Dynamics converter and Morningstar 300W inverter (small trailer). Replacing batteries can get expensive upgrading to newer technology, the PD and a Magnum inverter could pay for itself.

Some of the functions are programable on this unit. I just cant put my finger on when it boils the batteries.I have 3-8D series Batteries 1- starting battery and 2- house batteries. I don't have a problem with the starting batterie just the 2- house batteries.
When it happens they go fast first one then the other.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Assuming you are using wet cells...suggest the following troubleshooting routine: 1. Run the coach systems on 12V for a while...not plugged in...just the batts for a few hours to take the batts down from "full" ....the more stuff you can run the better. 2. Now turn everything off and plug in to power and run your Invertrix charger. At the terminals of your batts...measure voltage...it should be in the 14.2 to 14.5 range. 3. Now leave the coach overnite plugged in and charging and measure again with the charger running in the AM...you should see 13.2...13.4V ...nothing more. If you get readings other than in the above range...your charger is not charging properly and is responsible for killing your batts. (I assume you are using distilled water and keeping the water ALWAYS above the plates in the batteries...otherwise all bets are off!) Please specify brand size & type & number of batteries in your system if the charge is defective so we may help find an appropriate replacement. Would also be helpful to know how you use and/or store the coach. (i/e F/T or only a few weeks a year... stored in cold with power to coach)
I will try this procedure and let you know the out come.
Yes I do use distilled water to fill,I have 3-8D series batteries 1- starting 2-house never have a problem with the starting batterie.They are all deep cycle 1100 amp CC
I replaced them with what is recommended by manufacturer.
As for usage it varies,we go on long weekends and head south for a month or so in the winter. Storage is in the cold NOT plugged in.
I cant put my finger on when it happens when it does it goes fast,from normal to cooked
Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Just on the chance your description was not a typo, here is another scenario.

You indicate you have 3 8D batteries all deep cycle, 1100 amp cold cranking. I do not believe there is such a combination battery except maybe in the Marine applications.

Your chassis battery originally was probably an 8D start battery with the 1100 CCA.

Your house batteries were likely originally Group 8D 225 AH deep cycle storage batteries. They are different from the starting battery and are not normally described by the term CCA, cold cranking amps.

If you have starting batteries acting as house storage batteries, it is possible that the start batteries are not performing well under the demand commonly associated with storage batteries.

Hence they lose charge rapidly even though they appear fully charged initially. That is the profile of a starting battery. Quick recharge via the alternator and then quick discharge under heavy engine starting load.

Your invertor/charger and alternator are both high amp charging devices. Charging the starting type batteries with the inverter/charger might cause your symptoms. I am not knowledgeable enough to know.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

Measure the charging voltage daily over about a week.

Once it stops changing the batteries are fully charged.

Measure charging current of each battery with ammeter and report back final voltage and current.

Suspect overcharging of batteries causing gassing.

Flooded batteries can take it more than VRLA as long as water maintained, but it does cause wear on the plates which is not good
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Just on the chance your description was not a typo, here is another scenario. You indicate you have 3 8D batteries all deep cycle, 1100 amp cold cranking. I do not believe there is such a combination battery except maybe in the Marine applications. Your chassis battery originally was probably an 8D start battery with the 1100 CCA. Your house batteries were likely originally Group 8D 225 AH deep cycle storage batteries. They are different from the starting battery and are not normally described by the term CCA, cold cranking amps. If you have starting batteries acting as house storage batteries, it is possible that the start batteries are not performing well under the demand commonly associated with storage batteries. Hence they lose charge rapidly even though they appear fully charged initially. That is the profile of a starting battery. Quick recharge via the alternator and then quick discharge under heavy engine starting load. Your invertor/charger and alternator are both high amp charging devices. Charging the starting type batteries with the inverter/charger might cause your symptoms. I am not knowledgeable enough to know.
Thanks,I told the batterie expert at local (I wont use name) the application and I bought what they recommended.
I will check to be sure the batteries I have fit the application,what you are telling me makes sense.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Measure the charging voltage daily over about a week. Once it stops changing the batteries are fully charged. Measure charging current of each battery with ammeter and report back final voltage and current. Suspect overcharging of batteries causing gassing. Flooded batteries can take it more than VRLA as long as water maintained, but it does cause wear on the plates which is not good
I will do this and let you know
Thank you