Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Issue getting front to 'travel height'

As we were preparing to leave for a short trip for TG, front air bags did not want to fill when I pressed 'Travel Mode' button. I dumped all air, tried again, nothing. I did the auto level sequence and front bags did fill to help level the coach, but when I hit travel mode again, rear bags filled, front stayed down.

Finally, after fooling with it for about 30 minutes (was actually unhooking the toad to abort trip), the front slowly raised to travel height.

Anyone else ever have this problem and if yes, what was the fix. Coach leveled fine when we got to destination which included some raising of the front to get coach level.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

My HWH air leveling arrives at ride height when I put the transmission selector in drive.

In the past 11 years, I have not tried to set ride height by selecting travel mode on the console.

I like that the engine can be running but the ride height does not change until engine is put into gear.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

on my coach, a few times while i was driving, one of the airbag indicators flashed. i called hwh, the tech adviser told me that it's not uncommon the air valves losing air, but it just needs a small adjustment. i am planning to stop at a shop in oregon to get it done when i pass there next year.
not sure if yours has such an attribute.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I wonder if there is a small leak, or perhaps a blockage. Have you tried to dump the moisture recently? I wonder if perhaps there was some moisture frozen in the air lines???? You do not say where you are right now, but it has been cold in Va. It might be time to see a mechanic. As you discovered, it is hard to travel when the airbags will not inflate.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I wonder if there is a small leak, or perhaps a blockage. Have you tried to dump the moisture recently? I wonder if perhaps there was some moisture frozen in the air lines???? You do not say where you are right now, but it has been cold in Va. It might be time to see a mechanic. As you discovered, it is hard to travel when the airbags will not inflate.
Moisture in the lines along with the cold weather we recently had was my guess. I am in Richmond, VA now and it will be cold (mid 20's) during the nights for the next few days. I will open the purge valves tomorrow.

If I have the issue again, will get the coach into a shop as soon as I can.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have park water coming in, might want to disconnect at night when no watr is running and pull the hose back in. Those temps just cause all kinds of unexpected problems. That's one reason why we fled south to Florida this year. Guess what, it was 30 this morning when we woke up. Brrr!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

I had the front ride height valve go out on my coach. (in fact I've replaced all 3) It showed the same symptoms that you have except it never came back up. It might be moisture in the lines like you suggested. If you get it to work great. You might get your moisture dryer replaced to help solve that problem. If it still does it and you're stuck there's a work around that you can do. Manually adjust your ride height to about where it looks right while in the leveling mode. Then pull the fuse for the system. Ours is in the L F compartment. When you put it into drive it should remain at that height. it's a 7.5 amp fuse and on ours it's marked "step, leveling control, ....) This will allow you to get down the road so you can get it fixed. Drive slower and just use it to get to some where you can get it fixed. If that somewhere happens to be Grand Junction Colorado DO NOT go to Trans West they can hardly spell HWH and wanted to replace my computer instead of the failed valve. Good Luck and happy Thanks Giving.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I had the front ride height valve go out on my coach. (in fact I've replaced all 3) It showed the same symptoms that you have except it never came back up. It might be moisture in the lines like you suggested. If you get it to work great. You might get your moisture dryer replaced to help solve that problem. If it still does it and you're stuck there's a work around that you can do. Manually adjust your ride height to about where it looks right while in the leveling mode. Then pull the fuse for the system. Ours is in the L F compartment. When you put it into drive it should remain at that height. it's a 7.5 amp fuse and on ours it's marked "step, leveling control, ....) This will allow you to get down the road so you can get it fixed. Drive slower and just use it to get to some where you can get it fixed. If that somewhere happens to be Grand Junction Colorado DO NOT go to Trans West they can hardly spell HWH and wanted to replace my computer instead of the failed valve. Good Luck and happy Thanks Giving.
Air dryer was serviced/new cartridge in May. I suspect the ride height valve. Thanks for the tip to bypass the feature. If I have problems when we leave here on Saturday and I use the fuse-pulling tactic, I will have no choice but to drive it home (170 miles) for repairs.

The other cold weather related issues we've seen this trip is the refusal of the entry steps to fully deploy. That was due to 2 days of rain followed by a really cold night causing some ice to form in the mechanism. A bit of sun cured that. The other issue was condensation on the windshield, leaving puddles of water on the dash. We are running a vent fan on low to keep moisture down inside the coach.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

SMLRanger: We have an Affinity and our HWH control box for the suspension is in the inverter bay. Good luck on your trip and hope everything works great.

Tags
travel