Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Jacks vs Air - Sheet vs Formed Roof

I am looking at a 2006 Inspire - 36'. The coach has Power Gear leveling jacks.
Also, the coach has a sheet type fiberglass roof.

I am also, looking at a 2007 inspire - 36'. This coach has the Air Leveling system.
Also, this coach has a laminated form fitted roof.

Sometime in mid year 2006, Country Coach changed the leveling system and roof.

Are there any pros/cons for the two leveling systems ?

Are there any pros/cons for the sheet fiberglass roof vs. the form fitted roof?

The 2007 coach costs more, however, I like the layout of the 2006 better.

I am trying to decide if the additional investment would be warranted.

Any info would be most appreciated, as I am new to Country Coach.

Traveling DJ

Traveling DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.

Not sure what you mean a sheet fiberglass roof vs. laminated fiberglass roof. My 2007 Allure roof is a single sheet of fiberglass that is attached in some places and seems to float a bit in others.

I have air leveling. It is very nice and levels the coach quickly and easily. No worries about placing pads under jack feet on soft surfaces. However, having had another DP with hydraulic leveling jacks, they worked very well also. I do believe the air leveling system is a bit more limited when compared to the jacks on surfaces that are steep. One advantage to air leveling is not having to deal with jacks that may stick or otherwise retract slowly....an issue I had with one of the jacks on my previous coach.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Welcome to the board!

Pro's and Con's on Air vs Jacks, but either would take a distant second to the interior of one being better than the interior of the other... If you really like one interior more than the other, that would be the one to focus on.

Air is a bit easier to use, but you do sometimes get some 'coach movement' with air leveling. Strong gusts of wind, even movement of a person with some weight can be felt at times. Not major, but some. Jacks will also give you some movement/rocking in the wind, but not as much.

On some coaches with jack leveling, the range of leveling is not as great as most air leveling systems. BUT, I do not know the specifics of the Inspire's Air or Jack systems, so this may not be so in this case.

Best of luck on your search, and please keep asking as questions come up - some solid Inspire owners on this board,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
I recently purchased a 2006 Ispire and had 2 to choose from. I chose the Hydraulic over the Air Jacks because I do a lot of boon docking and have more height adjustment with the Hydraulic.
Not sure about the different roofs you are talking about. Mine has been fine in the winter weather so far.
Your issues are the crazing on the side walls, wet kit on the hydraulic pto and the aluminum radiator. I have to have the wet kit installed on mine $1200.00 and will wait for the radiator to start leaking before I change it out at $5,000.00.
Even with those two items and a bracket breaking on the torsion bar as I drove it home from Oregon, I love the solid wood cabinetry, solid ride of the Dynamax Chassis and the 400 hp. Cat.
My previous coach was a Holiday Rambler on a Freightliner Chassis, smaller cummins and also Hydraulic Jacks.
Hope this helps you!
JDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
I have air now but miss the jacks. I like to work on my stuff and with the jacks I can lift the machine right off its wheels and sometimes just parking in the garage I would put the jacks down just to take the load off the suspension. With my current machine im afraid to even go under. If you don't work on your stuff likely no big deal either way.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, roof