RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Jake Brake

On my 2001 Affinity I can't figure out how to turn on the jake break. It ha high low and med and then there is a switch that has a 'M' on it...looked at manuals and can't figure out what the 'M' is for? Does that turn on the brake? I don't think my brake is working since I can't hears it or feel it slow down the engine . Thanks

Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhoy View Post
On my 2001 Affinity I can't figure out how to turn on the jake break. It ha high low and med and then there is a switch that has a 'M' on it...looked at manuals and can't figure out what the 'M' is for? Does that turn on the brake? I don't think my brake is working since I can't hears it or feel it slow down the engine . Thanks
Send pics of panel switches.

Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Jake Brake

On my 2001 Affinity, the "M" switch is the one for the Jake. If it is working, the transmission will down shift to 4th gear and you will hear the rumble of the brake.

Luck,

Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #4

Is your cruse control on? Will not work in cruse is on.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Yes, it will.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
This is so with many coaches and chassis. However I believe (Know on my 04 Allure with ISL.) that if you have the Jake Switch On, and then tap the Brakes, the Jake will activate. (And of course, at the same time 'de-activate' the cruise.).

Also, some (Know my coach can.) also be set to have the Jake come on to maintain set speed. Their is a setting in the Parameters to turn this feature on, as well as to set the "Cruise Control Speed Delta for Minimum Engine Brake - Parameter" and also "Maximum" Delta too. (Default on my coach was 2mph and 4mph respectively. I had these changed to 1mph (Minimum Delta) and 3mph (Maximum Delta).

All of the above is specifically for Jake Compression Brake, admit I do not know how Pac or Exhausts Brakes settings work!

And a final caution, not sure what happens with the Bigger Block 3 Stage Compression brakes - if they have settings for each of the stages or not(?).

One thing I'm still trying to validate, and actually sitting in the Cummins ABQ, NM waiting room now - is if they can change my Jake On default gear to 5th from 4th. (Have read conflicting info on this, suspect due to the many years of ISL being around!).

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #7

If I have my cruise control set and my jake brake is activated and I'm going downhill, the jake brake will come on as speed increases. I do not have to tap my brakes to activate it. Since I travel a lot on the passes of Oregon, I've come to rely on my jake a lot. I rarely use my brakes going downhill, relying on the jake brake and selecting a good gear to control my speeds.

Bobhoy....set your jake to high, activate it, then take your coach up to speed, remove your foot from the gas pedal. You should feel the jake activate and probably hear it, as well.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #8

On my 2000 Beaver Marquis I have the Smart wheel with controls on it. Same as on my 2006 Kenworth T800 Lowbed Tractor, Jake will not work even with cruse in neutral, it must be off. Cruse Must be Off in my application.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #9

When we purchased our 2001 Intrigue I couldn't get the Jake to work. I finally figured out that the idle control was set up a little. Turned the idle down and the Jake works. It is a ISL motor and want to get it reprogamed so it won't shift down to 4th when it comes on.

Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake