Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Jake brake not working

I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with the 3 stage Jake brake. It doesn't seen to work at the higher speed going down hill. The transmission will drop down to 4th gear but the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages doesn't work until the coach is going very slow. How and what do I look for to get the 3 stages to work again at the higher speeds. It was working until I hit some bumps in the road.

Thank you in advance for the help crew.
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with the 3 stage Jake brake. It doesn't seen to work at the higher speed going down hill. The transmission will drop down to 4th gear but the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages doesn't work until the coach is going very slow. How and what do I look for to get the 3 stages to work again at the higher speeds. It was working until I hit some bumps in the road.

Thank you in advance for the help crew.
I suggest a quick call to Cummins, if that is who makes your engine. Give them the SN. (800-343-7357) They are real good at answering questions abut such things.

Rick Y
Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Cat C12 motor

I have a C12 Cat motor that the 3 stage Jake brake will not work at higher speeds.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

First, if the three stages won't work at high speeds, they won't work at low speeds. Have you tried to use each of the positions of the Jake going down a hill? You should feel a real difference in braking between the tree stages. Also, is the cruise on? With the cruise on, the transmission will shift to the target gear (probably 4rth on your coach), but the Jake won't come on until you step on the brake. If you turn the cruise off, it will work as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. What you think is the brake going through stages at slow speed, is actually the transmission shifting down. A lower gear will drastically increase the braking power from the Jake.
If the Jake still does not work right, take it to Oregon Motor Coach or Country Coach. Most likely it is in the Country Coach wiring rather than in the engine ECM.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
First, if the three stages won't work at high speeds, they won't work at low speeds. Have you tried to use each of the positions of the Jake going down a hill? You should feel a real difference in braking between the tree stages. Also, is the cruise on? With the cruise on, the transmission will shift to the target gear (probably 4rth on your coach), but the Jake won't come on until you step on the brake. If you turn the cruise off, it will work as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. What you think is the brake going through stages at slow speed, is actually the transmission shifting down. A lower gear will drastically increase the braking power from the Jake.
If the Jake still does not work right, take it to Oregon Motor Coach or Country Coach. Most likely it is in the Country Coach wiring rather than in the engine ECM.
Thank you Peralko: I did have the cruise control on at the time. I will try it again and see if it works like it did before.

Tags
brake