Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Just bought a Magna with a Detroit

Hello all CC owners, I am new to the CC. I researched the Magna and was sold on the build quality. It is a 1998 36' with 59k mi, has a Detroit series 40 330 hp engine. The condition on the outside is a 9 out of 10 the inside is a 7. A bit dated but plan to upgrade a few things. It has what is called over the road air. How dose that work. Dose it run with the engine? I take delivery next week so haven't tried everything yet. Test drove it and ran good shifted smooth, rode like a Cadillac! How is that series 40 Detroit? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Years ago I had a Holiday Rambler Imperial 1995, I had more problems with that thing. This CC feels so much different. Also it has the Gill chassis. Not the Dynamax. Thanks in advance! Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Series 40 engine

The series 40 engine is really an in-line engine made by Navistar and is referred to as the DT466. It is a solid good performing engine and there are thousands of them in rental fleets like Penske, Ryder etc. I think the only difference you may find is what is printed/stamped/cast on the valve cover and painted a different color. It's one of the most successful mid-range diesels.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

OTR air is operated when the engine is running.

It will provide cooling at the Dash and in the Bedroom. The temperature setting is controlled by the dash controls but there are two fan speeds for the rear cooling.

Since there are fewer windows in the bedroom it is much more effective there.

The system on my rig has one belt driven compressor at the engine with a dryer for the dash nearby. There is an additional dryer in the overhead cabinet of the bedroom.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #4

Dean - Which overhead cabinet is the rear OTR air dryer in?

rdcd - I have been in several Magnas from about the age of the one you bought. OTR air mean Over The Road air. That is what I use when driving. Many CCs including ours and likely yours have front and back OTR air which you run when driving when needed. So unlike a lot of coaches that need to use the house air conditioners and the generator when driving you won't. You should have a control switch for the rear air fan in the bedroom on the control panel.

Welcome to CC ownership. We have had ours a little over 3 years and we like our Affinity a lot. Still have not been in a coach I would trade for.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Otr air

Hi Bob, sounds like a great feature to have. (OTR air) We take del tomorrow in SC, me and my wife will fly up and drive it home to Fl. It also has Webasto Hydronic Heat. The Coach has (most likely) all the orig books in the cabinets. There was a lot of books from what I saw. Were really excited to have found this Magna, especially because it's a 36'. Single slide. A little easier to get in and out. I'm a bit on edge about trying to figure out how to use everything. There is a lot of switches in there. How is the Hydronic Heat? I believe the Propane is only for the cooktop, and fridge, and maybe the hot water?? Not sure? Also has 2 heat pumps that get really warm! The day I looked at it it was 45 out, but inside the coach was like toast from the HPumps. This 98 Magna feels so solid and well made.Thanks for your help Everyone. Ray
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

Bob, on our rig the rear ac drier is in the center of the cabinetry over the N/S bed. I had to remove the interior side of the storage cabinets on either side to get to the drier.

Your more modern rig with bedroom slides may be different.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Dean - I think I will leave it for the Country Coach factory guys to find when I go there for service late spring.

rdcd - Controls. When I flew to AZ to pick up our coach a little over three years ago the seller and I drove to the gas station to get diesel. In three blocks I realized there were DOZENS of switches and buttons and controls. So I delayed taking delivery and spent the night in the coach going through all of the manuals. I tested every system and switch I could find in the coach. The next morning I gave a list of fix-it items on a list to the seller. I flew back home and told seller to call me when they finished. At the very least you need to familiarize yourself with the basics.

Have you ever owned a big diesel DP before or driven one a few hundred miles. If no, you should spend some time learning.

The diesel furnace now works great. Took me a while to get it all fixed. We do not use it all that much and likely neither will you. We both live in the south. Heat pumps are noisy. We mostly use a portable electric heater. CCs have good insulation and most of the time a simple electric heater is the best thing.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Hi Bob we just arrived home to Fl with our Magna. I put 960 miles on the odometer. I drove Tractor Trailers when I was a kid, 18 to 27 years old. Then started a business. Now I'm 56. So the driving part is no issue. This Magna drives so nice, smooth and plenty of power. It ran the best in the last 300 or so miles when it got warmed up. The learning part is the big deal. I tell my Grandkids all the time, Practice makes Perfect. That's how I'm going to have to learn. And I have every book that came with it I believe. I may ask you a few questions as time moves on. If you don't mind. But your absolutely right on about driving a big rig with 32,000 or so lbs. If I didn't have the experience I'd be terrified. Especially driving through city's in rush hour. Thanks, Ray
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

Ray, congrats on the Magna. I think you made a good choice in the CC Magna. This is my first CC and so far I love it. We are starting FT so let the adventure begin! Hope to meet you while we are in FL.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Ray, sounds like you had a great maiden voyage. Hopefully the first of very many. I am still learning things about our Country Coach. I still have not figured out where the built in cell phone antenna wire outlet is near the drivers seat. If no one knows on this forum we are going to ask when we get to Oregon in a few months. BTW Ray, there is a big pool of knowledge in the area around Junction City Oregon. I know it is a long way for you, but if you get the chance go there and stop by the CC factory run by Ron Lee, and his brother's place OMC, and then Kevin Waite is in that area and he has done work for us on our coach. It is a very good place for a summer trip as it is not too hot. So a bit different than FL in summer.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #11

Can someone tell me if the chassis batteries are the ones below the house batteries? On that pull out tray? 1998 CC Magna. If not were are they? Thanks, Ray
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #12

I do not know for sure, but my '95 stores the house batteries in the upper tray and the chassis batteries on the lower tray. The compartment is located behind the curb side rear wheel.

The only other battery I have is the dedicated battery for the genset.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Thanks Dean. I have the same set up as you, just wasn't sure what batteries was house and chassis. I have a lot to learn! When driving down the road should the house batt switch be turned to on?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

Anytime I am using the rig my 12vdc house battery switch is on.

We use an in motion Sat Dome, television, the propane furnace, the refrigerator on propane, and the roof AC/heat pump units, entrance steps, inside steps cover, interior lights, toilet, faucets while driving. All require 12vdc.

With the inverter or generator on to run 120vac stuff, some of the above units still need 12vdc to run their electric controls like thermostats etc.

Be sure to turn off the propane water heater and refrigerator when in a fueling situation because they have open flames and could ignite fumes.

When the rig is not in use, the inverter is off and the house battery switch is off. My rig also has a battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment for the chassis batteries. You could turn it off while in storage for a long period of time.

1995 CC Magna #5280