Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Just Purchased This 2008 Country Coach Affinity

Just want to share that I put a down payment to purchase the 2008 Affinity that I have been looking at for a few days. Have done the due diligence of pre-purchase inspection using online records, and talking to the previous owner, etc. The purchase is subject to inspection which will take place in about a week. I have also been considering the purchase of an Extended Service plan costing around $10K for four years. I know this is a very debatable issue, and quite frankly, I very rarely purchase any kind of Extended Warranty, but in this case (due to the complexity of the coach) I'm giving it a second thought.
I would welcome any words of advice you can share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008Affinity.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	83071  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can only think of one thing to say.......Wow...........great looking Coach!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Looks like a nice coach, I see it's the one at Buddy Gregg in Knoxville. I noticed they really lowered the price on it--did you ask why?
As far as extended service plan goes, they give you a long list of the things included in the plan. I would ask what is not included!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Looks like a nice coach, I see it's the one at Buddy Gregg in Knoxville. I noticed they really lowered the price on it--did you ask why?
As far as extended service plan goes, they give you a long list of the things included in the plan. I would ask what is not included!
Yes, it is. No, I did not ask why they lowered the price as I had not seen what the previous price was. BG was the dealer that sold it to the original owner also. As I mentioned, they did give me the previous owner's name and I had extensive conversations at two different occasions. The extended warranty was a part my original purchase, but when I saw the price tag, I asked them if I could elect not to take it. They said yes. The Extended warranty is an exclusionary one with $100 deductible and the other with $200.
Thank you very much for chiming!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beautiful rig .

I also am not generally a purchaser of service plans (ESP, etc.) but for the very reason you mentioned, coach complexity, I did get a 4 year plan for the coach systems only when we bought our Allure. It is from Cornerstone in Hickory, NC. I've had the plan less than two years and it has already paid out more than my premium. And Cornerstone has been very easy for folks doing repairs to deal with.... very accommodating.

I did not purchase any chassis/drive train warranty since my previous DP had been pretty bullet proof for the eight years we had it. I may wish I had added the drive train since the Cummins engine on the Allure has not been trouble-free. I am headed to the Cummins shop Monday to address fuel pressure issues and oil leaks.

It is like any other insurance. I would shop around for the best deal on any ESP.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Beautiful rig .

I also am not generally a purchaser of service plans (ESP, etc.) but for the very reason you mentioned, coach complexity, I did get a 4 year plan for the coach systems only when we bought our Allure. It is from Cornerstone in Hickory, NC. I've had the plan less than two years and it has already paid out more than my premium. And Cornerstone has been very easy for folks doing repairs to deal with.... very accommodating.

I did not purchase any chassis/drive train warranty since my previous DP had been pretty bullet proof for the eight years we had it. I may wish I had added the drive train since the Cummins engine on the Allure has not been trouble-free. I am headed to the Cummins shop Monday to address fuel pressure issues and oil leaks.

It is like any other insurance. I would shop around for the best deal on any ESP.
Thank you for your thoughts. It is just what you described, an "insurance". The other thing it might do is add some to its resale value.
I also looked at an 07 Allure. Is yours a 42'?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Yes, it is. No, I did not ask why they lowered the price as I had not seen what the previous price was. BG was the dealer that sold it to the original owner also. As I mentioned, they did give me the previous owner's name and I had extensive conversations at two different occasions. The extended warranty was a part my original purchase, but when I saw the price tag, I asked them if I could elect not to take it. They said yes. The Extended warranty is an exclusionary one with $100 deductible and the other with $200.
Thank you very much for chiming!
I was curious, since their price on that coach have gone up and down like a yo-yo. It was first priced at $289k, then to $495k, then to $270k and now on RV Trader for $215,869, which is the lowest I've seen on a 2008 Affinity. We'll be looking for a similar coach, but have to wait since we are caretakers for my dad. It looks very good from the pictures, and I hope the sale and ownership works out well for you--perhaps we'll see you at a rally in the future.

P.S. An Allure Siskiyou Summit floorplan is a 42-foot coach. The Affinity you are buying is a Stag's Leap floorplan, but I'm sure you knew that. The newer Affinity floorplans were named after wineries.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While typically not a fan of extended warranties, I think they do have s place in the purchase of a used Motorhome. As a mitigation against latent and unknown issues. Buy a one year term, and then after having a history with the coach decide whether to continue or not.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

SRH - we bought our Affinity when it was 7 years old also. We have had it about 5 1/2 years and still love it. We bought a policy of very good extended warranty when we bought our coach. It was 8 grand for 3 years and 30,000 miles so about what you will have to pay. For us it was a good investment. We got the seller to pay 1/2.

I did a lot of research before buying our CC. Back when I was looking we liked Country Coach, Foretravel, and Beaver. We bought our Affinity because we really liked the southwest style interior. We still like it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. It is just what you described, an "insurance". The other thing it might do is add some to its resale value.
I also looked at an 07 Allure. Is yours a 42'?
Yes, our's is a 42'. We love the coach, outstanding build quality overall, very nicely appointed, great ride and handling. I just have a few glitches with the Cummins ISL but hope the fixes won't suck my wallet too flat .
Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 AM   #11

Put the ten Grand in the bank! Parts need to be broken, not worn for the most part. Beware! Peter in Maine
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Yes, our's is a 42'. We love the coach, outstanding build quality overall, very nicely appointed, great ride and handling. I just have a few glitches with the Cummins ISL but hope the fixes won't suck my wallet too flat .
Is your Cummins pre 2007 Emission? A good friend of mine who has a fleet of trucks told me that era of Cummins engine after the 2007 Emission were really breaking down frequently - in fact, at one time he had 20 trucks after the 2007 Emission and he had 13 of them in the shop broken down for the same problem at the same time.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
SRH - we bought our Affinity when it was 7 years old also. We have had it about 5 1/2 years and still love it. We bought a policy of very good extended warranty when we bought our coach. It was 8 grand for 3 years and 30,000 miles so about what you will have to pay. For us it was a good investment. We got the seller to pay 1/2.

I did a lot of research before buying our CC. Back when I was looking we liked Country Coach, Foretravel, and Beaver. We bought our Affinity because we really liked the southwest style interior. We still like it.
Thank you very much. I, too, have looked at the above models and almost bought an 07 Nimbus Foretrave. I'm going to go and pick it up next week and certainly hope no disappointments! I'm getting a lot comments some pro and some con regarding EW, some through this media and some privately. It will be a hard decision either way.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you very much. I, too, have looked at the above models and almost bought a 07 Nimbus Foretrave. I'm going to go and pick it up next week and certainly hope no disappointments! I'm getting a lot comments some pro and some con regarding EW, some through this media and some privately. It will be a hard decision either way.
Did you trade your Essex in? Are you just upgrading?

Tags
purchase