Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keeping the inverter cool

CC mounted the inverter/charger on my Allure in the rear most passenger side compartment. The small enclosure for much of the 12V stuff and the inverter is poorly ventilated and is very close to the engine bay and just over the muffler. The original Xantrex inverter failed on the prior owner and the Magnum Energy inverter he used to replace the Xantrex failed on me. The Magnum kept overheating. I monitor the temps in that space and they were exceeding 120F many times.

When I had the Magnum replaced with a new Magnum, I had the shop cut a hole in the partition between the inverter area and the battery compartment. They installed a new muffin fan in that hole. So the original fan that CC installed pulls air in from the lower front and the new fan exhausts hot air from the top rear into the battery compartment. Better but it still gets very hot in that area, especially in warmer weather.

So, I decided to install a waterproof high flow fan in the battery compartment door to help move the hot air to outside. I had misgivings about drilling a 4 1/4" hole in the door but I am pleased with the end result.

I was impressed with how thick the aluminum was on the outside of the door. I inserted some tubing into the gap between the inner and outer panels to fill the space. I used RTV to seal it well to prevent water that may splash into the vent from collecting inside the door between the panels.

This is the fan mounted on the inside of the door. It is attached to the same temp control that turns on the other two fans.

Finally, this is the polished stainless louver I installed over the opening.

This fan really moves a lot of air. I will test my work on the next trip and see if the temps drop even more.

I realize CC was motivated to locate the inverter near the batteries but it certainly would have made more sense to do something different/better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #2

Another job well done
On mine the only thing in the inverter bay is the inverter plus it is up front by the house batteries and it still gets warm but not hot.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Heat can be the enemy of electric components. Slick job on the install of the fan. Expect you will have happier and healthier inverter from this mod.

Thx's for sharing,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

What are you doing to control dirt? I just replaced my old Zantrex with a Magnum and boy was the old inverter full of dust. It was mounted like yours with basically zero ventilation other than the holes in the rear of the compartment.

I didn't replace because of failure but to get a PSW plus another 1000 watts of capacity.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What are you doing to control dirt? I just replaced my old Zantrex with a Magnum and boy was the old inverter full of dust. It was mounted like yours with basically zero ventilation other than the holes in the rear of the compartment.

I didn't replace because of failure but to get a PSW plus another 1000 watts of capacity.
CC has a rather crude filter over the incoming air fan at the bottom front of the compartment. It pulls air from a double wall area just behind the tag wheel. And yes, there is always grit in that compartment.

I have been periodically using an air hose to blow the dust and grit out of that area. Not sure that really helps. The Magnum has two fans so I suspect it is dusty too.

Tags
inverter