Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
StuartT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: currently at Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort, AZ
Posts: 117
Known problems - 2006 Allure 470

I am about to close a deal on a 2007 - 42' Camelot tomorrow but I just got a call from the owner of a 2006 - 42' Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit who I had tried to make contact with a week ago and had given up.

His 470 really sounds appealing to me and since I previously owned a 2005 Allure 430 Alder Lake, which I loved, I am tempted to have a last minute change of heart and go with the Allure.

I will be calling CC tomorrow morning with the VIN and coach number to get the engine serial number so I can see if it falls in the range of the wristpin recalls, but I can think of a couple other things to worry about. That would include the PTO wet kit, paint micro checking, and something about a radiator or intercooler problem as I remember.

Can some of you shed some light on any this, and/or add to the list to watch out for with this coach?
__________________

__________________
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San antonio, TX
Posts: 597
The paint microcracking is cosmetic, and happens in the dark colors on the coach. The main radiator was sourced from a company that did a poor job putting the radiators together, and many developed leaks, however some owners have reported no problems. A residential refrigerator would be a bonus--Norcolds had recalls. The Siskiyou Summit floorplan is one of the best out there IMHO, don't think you would be unhappy with it. We test drove a similar coach two years ago at Country Coach, and it had a great ride. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,475
The "microcracking" may be that actually outer surface of the wall itself. The real cure is to replace the entire sidewall.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
StuartT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: currently at Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort, AZ
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The "microcracking" may be that actually outer surface of the wall itself. The real cure is to replace the entire sidewall.
The micro cracking was in the Sikkens paint, a known problem covering several years of production. I had a small area of it on my 2005 Allure. In all cases that I heard about it was in the dark colors which attracted heat. I was not under warranty so no help from either CC or Sikkens.
__________________
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
StuartT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: currently at Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort, AZ
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The paint microcracking is cosmetic, and happens in the dark colors on the coach. The main radiator was sourced from a company that did a poor job putting the radiators together, and many developed leaks, however some owners have reported no problems. A residential refrigerator would be a bonus--Norcolds had recalls. The Siskiyou Summit floorplan is one of the best out there IMHO, don't think you would be unhappy with it. We test drove a similar coach two years ago at Country Coach, and it had a great ride. Good luck!
Peralko, fortunately this has the residential refer option, and the stack W/D as well. I do wonder if it has enough power with a 400 ISL for all that weight. My 2005 Allure 430 was a 34' with single rear axle and the 400 ISL pushed that coach exceptionally well, but the 42' Siskiyou Summit must weigh 6K - 8K more.
__________________
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,266
Blog Entries: 1
Stuart,

We have same coach in '07. As far as power, we have the ISL 425. 2007 was the first year for the ISL 'Clean diesel' so it has a DPF. The 425 was an upgrade option for '07. We've had this coach for 18 months and I think it has plenty of power. We recently completed a trip from Virginia to Oregon and back, going thru the Big Horns and Beartooths in MT,WY and we did fine. 500hp would be a hoot for sure, but we never had any issues and the coach ran cool even in very hot summer weather.

As already noted, make sure the wet PTO upgrade has been done. Also as noted, some of the radiators leaked but mine is holding up fine at 50K miles and 7 years. According to Kevin Waite (a CC expert who helps many of us), the price tag to replace it can run as high at $8K (parts and labor).

We have noticed no checking of the side walls. Had it on my previous DP so know it well. According to my research, it is related to the sidewall material (Filon from Crane composites) used by many manufacturers. When it gets hot, something related to a defective curing process causes out gassing and hairline cracks appear on the surface. That is why it can more likely occur behind darker colors.

We love the 42' Siskiyou. We'd had no issues that are not unexpected on most of any of these complicated beasts.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
StuartT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: currently at Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort, AZ
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Stuart,

We have same coach in '07. As far as power, we have the ISL 425. 2007 was the first year for the ISL 'Clean diesel' so it has a DPF. The 425 was an upgrade option for '07. We've had this coach for 18 months and I think it has plenty of power. We recently completed a trip from Virginia to Oregon and back, going thru the Big Horns and Beartooths in MT,WY and we did fine. 500hp would be a hoot for sure, but we never had any issues and the coach ran cool even in very hot summer weather.

As already noted, make sure the wet PTO upgrade has been done. Also as noted, some of the radiators leaked but mine is holding up fine at 50K miles and 7 years. According to Kevin Waite (a CC expert who helps many of us), the price tag to replace it can run as high at $8K (parts and labor).

We have noticed no checking of the side walls. Had it on my previous DP so know it well. According to my research, it is related to the sidewall material (Filon from Crane composites) used by many manufacturers. When it gets hot, something related to a defective curing process causes out gassing and hairline cracks appear on the surface. That is why it can more likely occur behind darker colors.

We love the 42' Siskiyou. We'd had no issues that are not unexpected on most of any of these complicated beasts.
My apologies to Mr. D for discounting his input. With two of you saying essentially the same thing, I concede that I was probably misled back when.

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the performance. I was worried about that. After 18 months and all those miles, you'd definitely know if you were underpowered.

I definitely plan to check that PTO. Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback.
__________________

__________________
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winnebago Problems jacksonjdnc Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 33 07-21-2014 01:27 PM
Cummins ISC Multiple Problems BandBRetired Cummins Engines 13 06-29-2014 02:18 PM
LED replacement bulb problems NLOVNIT RV Systems & Appliances 20 06-27-2014 08:14 PM
New Toy Hauler with a few problems V-Man Toy Haulers Discussion 5 06-17-2014 02:57 AM
Unusual set of electrical problems on new 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C TrailerFool Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 04-29-2014 11:51 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.