Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

Known problems - 2006 Allure 470

I am about to close a deal on a 2007 - 42' Camelot tomorrow but I just got a call from the owner of a 2006 - 42' Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit who I had tried to make contact with a week ago and had given up.

His 470 really sounds appealing to me and since I previously owned a 2005 Allure 430 Alder Lake, which I loved, I am tempted to have a last minute change of heart and go with the Allure.

I will be calling CC tomorrow morning with the VIN and coach number to get the engine serial number so I can see if it falls in the range of the wristpin recalls, but I can think of a couple other things to worry about. That would include the PTO wet kit, paint micro checking, and something about a radiator or intercooler problem as I remember.

Can some of you shed some light on any this, and/or add to the list to watch out for with this coach?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

The paint microcracking is cosmetic, and happens in the dark colors on the coach. The main radiator was sourced from a company that did a poor job putting the radiators together, and many developed leaks, however some owners have reported no problems. A residential refrigerator would be a bonus--Norcolds had recalls. The Siskiyou Summit floorplan is one of the best out there IMHO, don't think you would be unhappy with it. We test drove a similar coach two years ago at Country Coach, and it had a great ride. Good luck!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The "microcracking" may be that actually outer surface of the wall itself. The real cure is to replace the entire sidewall.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The "microcracking" may be that actually outer surface of the wall itself. The real cure is to replace the entire sidewall.
The micro cracking was in the Sikkens paint, a known problem covering several years of production. I had a small area of it on my 2005 Allure. In all cases that I heard about it was in the dark colors which attracted heat. I was not under warranty so no help from either CC or Sikkens.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The paint microcracking is cosmetic, and happens in the dark colors on the coach. The main radiator was sourced from a company that did a poor job putting the radiators together, and many developed leaks, however some owners have reported no problems. A residential refrigerator would be a bonus--Norcolds had recalls. The Siskiyou Summit floorplan is one of the best out there IMHO, don't think you would be unhappy with it. We test drove a similar coach two years ago at Country Coach, and it had a great ride. Good luck!
Peralko, fortunately this has the residential refer option, and the stack W/D as well. I do wonder if it has enough power with a 400 ISL for all that weight. My 2005 Allure 430 was a 34' with single rear axle and the 400 ISL pushed that coach exceptionally well, but the 42' Siskiyou Summit must weigh 6K - 8K more.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart,

We have same coach in '07. As far as power, we have the ISL 425. 2007 was the first year for the ISL 'Clean diesel' so it has a DPF. The 425 was an upgrade option for '07. We've had this coach for 18 months and I think it has plenty of power. We recently completed a trip from Virginia to Oregon and back, going thru the Big Horns and Beartooths in MT,WY and we did fine. 500hp would be a hoot for sure, but we never had any issues and the coach ran cool even in very hot summer weather.

As already noted, make sure the wet PTO upgrade has been done. Also as noted, some of the radiators leaked but mine is holding up fine at 50K miles and 7 years. According to Kevin Waite (a CC expert who helps many of us), the price tag to replace it can run as high at $8K (parts and labor).

We have noticed no checking of the side walls. Had it on my previous DP so know it well. According to my research, it is related to the sidewall material (Filon from Crane composites) used by many manufacturers. When it gets hot, something related to a defective curing process causes out gassing and hairline cracks appear on the surface. That is why it can more likely occur behind darker colors.

We love the 42' Siskiyou. We'd had no issues that are not unexpected on most of any of these complicated beasts.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Stuart,

We have same coach in '07. As far as power, we have the ISL 425. 2007 was the first year for the ISL 'Clean diesel' so it has a DPF. The 425 was an upgrade option for '07. We've had this coach for 18 months and I think it has plenty of power. We recently completed a trip from Virginia to Oregon and back, going thru the Big Horns and Beartooths in MT,WY and we did fine. 500hp would be a hoot for sure, but we never had any issues and the coach ran cool even in very hot summer weather.

As already noted, make sure the wet PTO upgrade has been done. Also as noted, some of the radiators leaked but mine is holding up fine at 50K miles and 7 years. According to Kevin Waite (a CC expert who helps many of us), the price tag to replace it can run as high at $8K (parts and labor).

We have noticed no checking of the side walls. Had it on my previous DP so know it well. According to my research, it is related to the sidewall material (Filon from Crane composites) used by many manufacturers. When it gets hot, something related to a defective curing process causes out gassing and hairline cracks appear on the surface. That is why it can more likely occur behind darker colors.

We love the 42' Siskiyou. We'd had no issues that are not unexpected on most of any of these complicated beasts.
My apologies to Mr. D for discounting his input. With two of you saying essentially the same thing, I concede that I was probably misled back when.

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the performance. I was worried about that. After 18 months and all those miles, you'd definitely know if you were underpowered.

I definitely plan to check that PTO. Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback.