Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Koni FSD bent, how?

Cummins called this morning and said the rig was done but that it wouldn't level as the drivers side rear shock is bent. Drove over and paid the $22,300 engine bill and looked at the shock. Looks like it was either raised too high and dropped or the axle fell in a hole. Either one of which could have overextended the shock. Shock shaft is all the way out and bent at about a 45 angle.
So now I need to buy two new shocks and pay to have them installed, fix the woodwork damage in the bedroom and fix the bedroom double slider that won't go all the way back in and lock. I know it was all the way in and locked as we were traveling when the engine went. Oh yes, then there's the paint damage the towing company did, luckily I took pictures of the light bar that shows the damage.
But, at least it's home now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Wow, bet you wish you had the old DS sitting in the drive about now.
I'm not a suspension expert but I'm thinking there should be some type of limiting device to prevent the shocks from over extending. Never heard of such a thing. Did the shop have an opinion? A call to Koni might be in order?
The old credit card must be getting pretty warm by now.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

Many vehicles, trucks and air ride semi-trailers us the shock as the travel limiter. If I understand the shock damage as you describe, the shock would have had to somehow hydraulic lock or be pushed sideways by some external force. A picture would help.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrtracr View Post
Many vehicles, trucks and air ride semi-trailers us the shock as the travel limiter. If I understand the shock damage as you describe, the shock would have had to somehow hydraulic lock or be pushed sideways by some external force. A picture would help.
I did take a picture but it really doesn't show much as I took it looking over the tire rather than underneath. Will need to crawl under and take another one.
Bottom is the bent one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_110156.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	91636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_110220.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	91637  

Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

Over extending the shock should not cause the shaft to bend. Is there any sign on the shaft that something external, like a jack stand, could have pushed against the shaft when the coach was lowered?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Im not sure if your seeing it bent or just broken off. These coaches do have a problem of breaking shocks if the coach is raised to hard and then drove I little to aggressively. They do make limiting straps. I have to raise mine every time I come in or out of my driveway but I am really careful. The main shocks are the hardest to do as the top bolt goes thru that bracket and has a nut on the inside of the frame really high. I had a helper in a pit and he could not reach the nut by hand but needed to just hold a wrench on the nut while I threaded it in from the outside. If there going to replace make them quote the labor. Your sure not having any luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
Rod
Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Rod:
The tow truck driver did go through a dip in the way out of the truck stop so that might be when it happened. The shock looks to be fully extended then the rod is bent right at the top of the body. It might be broken off by now though. I haven't looked since I got it home.
Did you take the wheels off for access?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #8

The wheels have to come off and it takes an 1 1/2 socket and wrench to remove shock. The drivers side is the harder one to do. Its the nut on the top inside drivers side that's a hassle. Takes about an hour per side. I pulled mine off only to find the new shocks didn't fit so had to put the old ones back on and call road king.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Over extending the shock should not cause the shaft to bend. Is there any sign on the shaft that something external, like a jack stand, could have pushed against the shaft when the coach was lowered?
No way due to the position and clearance.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$22,300 engine bill? YIKES. What happened to the engine?

It almost sounds like the shock was damaged when it was towed.

Did your insurance cover the tow and do you think they would be able to do you any good?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
$22,300 engine bill? YIKES. What happened to the engine?

It almost sounds like the shock was damaged when it was towed.

Did your insurance cover the tow and do you think they would be able to do you any good?
Here's the thread on it: '09 Magna, dropped valve or bad injector
I don't want to go over it again here.

That's what I'm thinking too. The driver did tell me that he had a hard time getting out of the truck stop lot due to the difference in grade. He might have dropped the rear axle into the ditch also. I didn't see him leave the lot but followed him the rest of the way. He also said it was the heaviest rig he'd towed as the front wheels of the tow truck were coming off the ground on some bumps. I have a picture of it at Cummins and the trucks tires are barely on the ground then.

Coach Net covered the tow, I've sent them an email asking how to file a claim.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #12

The only way I can see the shock getting bent was if the shaft somehow stuck fully extended, so when the axle came back up, there was no way for the shaft to get back into the shock. I'm sure the forces involved would easily bend the shock shaft.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, it's not a bent shock now as the shaft broke in half and the other side is leaking so something happened! Thinking the tow did it as the driver said he had a hard time getting out of the truck stop lot. I didn't see what happened though. Called CoachNet about filing a claim since there's also paint damage where hung the light bar. Might be able to be rubbed out but there are a couple deep scratches as well as an abraded section on the tail light lens.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, it's not a bent shock now as the shaft broke in half and the other side is leaking so something happened! Thinking the tow did it as the driver said he had a hard time getting out of the truck stop lot. I didn't see what happened though. Called CoachNet about filing a claim since there's also paint damage where hung the light bar. Might be able to be rubbed out but there are a couple deep scratches as well as an abraded section on the tail light lens.
Hope you get through all this With your sanity and wallet in tact.

Tags
koni