Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 AM   #1

Koni red shock setting sugestions

Hello
Im removing the road king 3 inch shocks and putting the koni reds back on. The ride is just to harsh with the road kings.I have called road king three times and no one will call me back. They have to have the worst customer service. I had just as much hassle trying to buy the shocks. The reds were (5) 1/4 turns from full firm. Does anyone have recommendations for the settings. Front weighs 16,800 full of fuel. I am going for a smooth ride.
Thanks
rod
magna 6882

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Hello
Im removing the road king 3 inch shocks and putting the koni reds back on. The ride is just to harsh with the road kings.I have called road king three times and no one will call me back. They have to have the worst customer service. I had just as much hassle trying to buy the shocks. The reds were (5) 1/4 turns from full firm. Does anyone have recommendations for the settings. Front weighs 16,800 full of fuel. I am going for a smooth ride.
Thanks
rod
magna 6882

You should make another attempt to call Road King. Maybe email to get the ball rolling. Your coach is pretty heavy and controlling weight adequately takes a beefy shock. The front shocks are the ones that give you the jolt on potholes or bridge transitions. If you give them your weights and tell them you are looking for compliant compression and firm rebound control, I think they can re-valve your shocks to give that. It's trouble but should be worth it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

X's 2 on again trying to reach out to RK. Lonnie is the gent to ask for.... They're suppose to be able to revolve the RK's.

OK, if not. What Koni's do you have. What year are they? Koni had three models of the Adjustable, SP1, SP2, SP3. If the newer SP3, I'd start at level 3, and see how that works for you. If SP1, I'd replace - as they were not quite up to handling the larger IFS (Assume your Magna had the IFS, but if older may not be.).

You might also call Koni, and ask for Justin, to see if the the "99" Koni shock might fit your rig. (I understand that Alpine is now able to get a 99 for their chassis.).

And for front ride comfort, if you have not done so yet, get the four corner weight for your coach. And set your PSI per the tire manufacturers weight/PSI recommendations. This can really help on the front end when going on less then smooth roads!

Best of luck, and please let us know what you end up doing and how it worked for you.
Smitty
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Koni is responsive and they indicated by the part number my existing shocks are OEM and not SP . Not sure the difference but they are recommending one full turn. Not sure yet if that's from soft or firm. I placed another call into road king. That makes 4 calls and an email. When purchased they indicated they would re-valve if necessary but I guess I need to talk to someone before I can send them back.
Rod
Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

I did get a call form Lonnie and he gave me his email address and ask I deal with him on any issues. He did indicate he thought the valveing was right and he thought it may take a little time for the shocks to break in. He said he would be more then happy to take the valveing down but thought I would not like it. He did indicate tire pressure did affect the ride and im at 16800 weight with 130lbs air pressure on 315 xza. The chart would allow me to drop a few pounds but im hesitant to drop much since im only 1400lbs down with the current pressure. How close do you guys set yours? Does a guy want to have a little buffer for wind and cg load transfer?
Rod
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I did get a call form Lonnie and he gave me his email address and ask I deal with him on any issues. He did indicate he thought the valveing was right and he thought it may take a little time for the shocks to break in. He said he would be more then happy to take the valveing down but thought I would not like it. He did indicate tire pressure did affect the ride and im at 16800 weight with 130lbs air pressure on 315 xza. The chart would allow me to drop a few pounds but im hesitant to drop much since im only 1400lbs down with the current pressure. How close do you guys set yours? Does a guy want to have a little buffer for wind and cg load transfer?
Rod

Rod,

I just checked the Michelin website and for your weight and tire size they recommend just over 120 psi. Also remember that this setting is cold which is at 65 degrees F. I suspect your tires may be over inflated. I would suggest you try 125 psi, again this is at 65 degrees F.

If you have the SmarTire system you can set it for 125 psi and it will tell you if you are over or under inflated and by how much depending on the temps inside the tire. It's a great system.

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires
Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Magna weighs over 17,500 on the front. That calls for 110 on the 365/70's. We experienced a good ride but it porpoises terribly.
Today I got my tools out and checked what our Koni reds were set at. They were on full soft, so I reset them to full hard. Probably too firm now but we'll see. Relatively easy to do with the air wrench.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Koni red sp3's are set one notch back from full firm (4 clicks). That was what Koni recommended based on my front axle weight which was 14,000.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do notice the smaller bumps come through now, but not bad. I also added about 10 psi to the front tires as they were set too low according to the latest CC tire requirements. Seems CC is now saying to run the tires at the weight label settings.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I do notice the smaller bumps come through now, but not bad. I also added about 10 psi to the front tires as they were set too low according to the latest CC tire requirements. Seems CC is now saying to run the tires at the weight label settings.

What tire pressure requirements does CC publish?

I have always used the Tire Manufacturer's weight/psi charts to inflate MH tires.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our Magna weighs over 17,500 on the front. That calls for 110 on the 365/70's. We experienced a good ride but it porpoises terribly.
Today I got my tools out and checked what our Koni reds were set at. They were on full soft, so I reset them to full hard. Probably too firm now but we'll see. Relatively easy to do with the air wrench.
Mr D, If yours is porpoising, wouldn't that be an indicator that you don't have enough pressure on your tag axle?
Bob
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Mr D, If yours is porpoising, wouldn't that be an indicator that you don't have enough pressure on your tag axle?
Bob
I asked about adjusting the pressure on the tag and was told it's not adjustable by Premier RV when we bought the rig.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
What tire pressure requirements does CC publish?

I have always used the Tire Manufacturer's weight/psi charts to inflate MH tires.
Somewhere in the documentation it says to run the pressures stated on the weight sticker at all times and not use the weight/pressure charts. I've found it several times, just don't remember exactly where it is.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

The manufacturer's recommendation on tire pressures will be based on the maximum weight of the coach. If you are significantly below the max weight while fully loaded (including full tanks), you can use the weight/inflation table from the tire maker--I would put a 5 psi buffer in addition, as long as it does not exceed max tire pressure. Running more pressure in the tires will give a slightly rougher ride. We are within a few thousand pounds of max weight, so I don't bother reducing pressure from what CC recommends.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni