Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

KVH RV1 and Dish Network

We have a new KVH RV1 in-motion dome on our Affinity....and presently have Direct TV without HD(our choice) and no local channels when traveling from home. We are seriously thinking about changing to Dish since the price is fixed for 3yrs, HD, and have all local stations without a fee when travelling. KVH tells us that RV1 in-motion HD will look for HD satellite and if not found in a few seconds, will move on to standard definition. Has anyone had this problem. Also has anyone had a problem with Dish in the northwest/west obtaining a signal. We can live with the HD issue but not a weak signal for standard def. Any problems at all with Dish? Direct Tv is okay but not wanting to pay $10/mo for HD, $7.00/mo for motorhome, rate increases all the time ($13. in last three months) and finally, no local stations only networks in LA/NY and then you pay $2.50 per station, ugh.... your input? We have a great over the air antenna but sometimes where we go-no stations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyshed View Post
We have a new KVH RV1 in-motion dome on our Affinity....and presently have Direct TV without HD(our choice) and no local channels when traveling from home. We are seriously thinking about changing to Dish since the price is fixed for 3yrs, HD, and have all local stations without a fee when travelling. KVH tells us that RV1 in-motion HD will look for HD satellite and if not found in a few seconds, will move on to standard definition. Has anyone had this problem. Also has anyone had a problem with Dish in the northwest/west obtaining a signal. We can live with the HD issue but not a weak signal for standard def. Any problems at all with Dish? Direct Tv is okay but not wanting to pay $10/mo for HD, $7.00/mo for motorhome, rate increases all the time ($13. in last three months) and finally, no local stations only networks in LA/NY and then you pay $2.50 per station, ugh.... your input? We have a great over the air antenna but sometimes where we go-no stations.
Dish is fantastic. It works in the NW. Even in southern Canada. They are RV friendly. When you travel, you just call them and give them your zip and you have your locals. No extra charge. Can't speak to the KVH. I have a Travl'r.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've used Dish with a KVH R5SL from MD to CA and it works great as long as you have an unobstructed view to the satellites. For local channels you need to call them and have the local zip code changed. Local channels are "spot beamed" to each area. They are very gracious about changing and do not charge extra for the location change.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

Wow we have a TracStar 360 in motion with DTV and to my knowledge have no extra for being in a RV nor have we ever been charged extra for local channels. Having said all that though I am tired of this TracStar and getting it worked on all the time so am getting rid of the in motion crappy satellite. Will either go a Wine-guard auto or one like a Travl'r. I will probably stay with DTV till the baseball season is over as my wife is paying for the season starting next month. After that I will probably go back to Dish. One thing I did not like is they hire a lot of over seas people instead of giving jobs to Americans. So does DTV though!!
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
for those who have KVH and Tracstar 360 last week Dish made some changes to the system that now my Tracstar won't lock on to the satellite. Please be careful before switching to Dish. I'm trying to switch to Direct because the Tracstar 360 still locks on to Direct satellites.

Before to long I guess I will switch to Winegard.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyshed View Post
Just an update to above note. We contacted KVH and Dish regarding the Dish satellite change. Both Dish and KVH were great to work with and took care of all issues-great picture with HD. As mentioned above, sometimes obtaining HD when in motion, will switch to SD but not really an issue. Like this much better than Direct Tv....futhermore, we have 3 yrs at exact same price each month-no increases at all. Can't beat that. Direct TV still does not have local stations, only LAX/NY and then you have to submit written garbage in advance and obtain approval-not my lifestyle. When in PHX I want PHX stations, period. Thanks to all that submitted your experiences!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure the issue is not with your Tracstar?
Those satellites are in a fixed position and extremely expensive to replace. My system (KVH R5SL) still picks up Dish just fine.

Tags
dish