Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Late Model CC owners - Undercarriage Rust Observations?

Hoping a few older model CC owners can look under their coaches and let me know the level of rust? Especially, around the mud flaps & hot water tank. I know this might be a difficult thing to quantity via email but any insight is helpful.

I asked for a undercarriage photos of a 1997 Allure that I am hoping to purchase. Thing is, I need to fly to out of state to inspect it. So I'm working via email with the dealer (who has been wonderful). Not pressing me for a purchase whatsoever.

The coach has been registered in both MN and OR over the last 15 years. I was told it was stored under cover throughout its life. The clear coat would validate this.

However, there are 3 spots on the coach that have significant rusting and corrosion. Two of them are near the mud flaps. One other is near the water heater. Hard to me to describe accurately but I was told it is the hollow tubular steel that is rusting through. Thin walled tubular steel. Not a primary or structural component of the chassis itself.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Considered a major issue or something that I can address? I'm am getting this coach under market value and the interior and exterior is in excellent shape (see my newbie posting).

I do have a full metal fab shop so I have everything to cut out and replace tubular steel. Assuming it is isolated. What concerns me is the chassis itself and the suspension components & mounts. These appear to have routine rust....no flaking or anything like that.

Your input is so greatly appreciated! This is a big investment for my family so I'm performing all my due diligence.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

We do have some surface rust on the frame bottom. Still not real bad.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
We do have some surface rust on the frame bottom. Still not real bad.
Thanks! Notice any pitted tubular metal around your rear mud flags? Close to where the flaps mount?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Any coach that has been driven in the north in winter, or parked along the coast for a lengthy period will show signs of rust after 17 years. Generally the mud flaps will be exposed to more of the elements that other areas. Possibly same with furnace depending on venting and air movement to heat exchanger.

I would really look closely to see if the rust is more surface, or through rust. Will it be able to be fixed? Remember to look closely for possible water leaks as well. I do not think this is generally a problem with this level of coach, but it is 17 years old so check closely. Do not fall in love so much with a coach that you overlook expensive to repair problems.

It's worth the expense to hire a separate, independent mechanic to evaluate the coach.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Any coach that has been driven in the north in winter, or parked along the coast for a lengthy period will show signs of rust after 17 years. Generally the mud flaps will be exposed to more of the elements that other areas. Possibly same with furnace depending on venting and air movement to heat exchanger.

I would really look closely to see if the rust is more surface, or through rust. Will it be able to be fixed? Remember to look closely for possible water leaks as well. I do not think this is generally a problem with this level of coach, but it is 17 years old so check closely. Do not fall in love so much with a coach that you overlook expensive to repair problems.

It's worth the expense to hire a separate, independent mechanic to evaluate the coach.
Good advice. We did have a certified welder to look at the 3 problem areas. I am speaking with him today.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I looked today. No real rust problem in those locations or anywhere else.

The battery slide out trays are probably the worst condition, but no real concern.

Our rig lives on the West Coast and only visits the beach occasionally.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab View Post
Thanks! Notice any pitted tubular metal around your rear mud flags? Close to where the flaps mount?
Just took a look at that area, and I could see no rust there. Most of the surface rust I've seen is next to the propane tank in front of the rear axle, possibly because the center AC drain comes out in that area.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for checking out these locations! I've booked a flight for final inspection and pick-up. I'm hoping these are the only problems areas and the remaining rust is normal surface rust that I'll remove & apply POR 15. Wish me luck.

If I purchase, I'll make sure to take pics of these areas & pics of my replacement fab work.

Everyone has been great!

Tags
rust