Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Leak in bedroom slide

Rain water comes in on the forward end of the driver's side bedroom slide. It appears at the bottom inside of the slide when extended, onto the carpet. Haven't looked at anything yet until the rain subsides a bit and I can extend it back out.

Doug
'05 Allure 430 #31125

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

The bottom right angle cap where the side meets the bottom, have been known to be a source of water problems. Some use a thin bead of silicone along the edge. One gent on the Yahoo User Groups found a color matching vinly tape to go over the top edge of the cap where it meets the side. (Had pictures if I recall correctly.).

This angle piece is known for 'popping loose' sometimes, needing to be reset back on. Many, myself included, have used a combination of 3M 5200 adheasive/sealeant, along with drilling and tapping into the angle piece and with a few set screws two. I have four on the angle pieces of the deeper slide in front, and only three set screws on the less deep bedroom slides. I have not had any leaking form this area, after I did the combo of 3M and the screws. But, if I could find the right color vinly tape for our slides, I would redundantly cover the upward facing edge on the side too. Just no luck locating the right color tape. I inspect my angle piece leading edge on a regular basis, and at the first sign of any gaps - I will add a silicone bead seal when needed.

Now, water has a funny way of getting in and working down. So, I would also take a real close look at your seals to see if they are tight all the way around. I know you are not suppose to stop the slide while opening, but... I did stop mine when they were about 3" from being all the way extended. Then at night, I had my wife go all around the seals from the inside with a bight flash light, as I looked on from the outside to see if I saw obvious bright lights thru bad seals contact with the sides. The top can be tough, due to the slide topper, but with a ladder and looking under the topper, it works out OK.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you find out on your leak...
Smitty
04 Allure 31017

Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Bedroom slide leak, '04 Inspire

We had a recent issue with the toilet fill valve sticking which allowed fresh water to flood the coach while we were out for the day. When we returned security told us that there was water coming out over the rear wheels on the driver's side just below the extended bed slide. I confirmed that the next morning as there were rust and water marks on the outside tire and aluminum wheel. When the carpet was pulled out of the bedroom you could clearly see that water had been coming in for a long time and we think it may have come from the tires tossing up road water while driving in the rain. The sub floor had almost disinigrated above the wheel well opening and was rotted pretty badly along with some rust from what looks like a 2" angle iron. I guess that makes sense as water was coming from inside the coach on to the tires when it was not raining here in Phoenix.

You can't really see too much by looking up above the tires for a hole or crack so while it is in the shop we'll pull the outside tire and see if that could be a point of entry of water. By the way, the recently installed heated bamboo floor was ruined and has to be torn up but Nationwide is on our side.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Smitty made some good observations and the reference to tape I think was from the Yahoo CC forum. I found the original posters web page on his repairs of leaks here...
Slide Leaks & Damage Part II - Forum
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
John, I'm sure glad you posted Smitty's summary on what he did especially the drilling of 1/8" drain holes. Makes sense to me to at least provide an exit point for the water that does get in. In my case I'll bet drain holes would have prevented the rot and rust but not the flood from the toilet.

Tom
'04 Inspire
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

John - Thanks for the link....

Tom - It was all Scott on those detail pictures and repair strategy... So far, I have not yet added the tape, that seems to be the 100% solution. We have only put 12K on our rig, since we bought it used with 13K on it - so not much usage... Have not noted any problems on the verticle angles, but keeping a close eye on these, and seal the leading edge gave some added comfort. I also noted that Scott, as well as other CC Yahoo Board members, commented about the ripple impact of freeze. Not something we have had much time with... Water in joints, and freeze, can be a concern...

We are retiring in 2013, and hope to get much more usage of the rig, and I will look for the sign or clear coat tape if I see any problems with the 3M 5200 seal/adheasive pulling away.

One other tip, is the roof angle edges are also a good place for water to attack. If you ever have your awning topper off, adding a strip of Eterna Bond tape to the those edges, would be a life of coach added protection. Can't see the top, so the visual is not a concern.

On the visual, I admit that with the cost of the rig, and the good looks of the paint job, adding the wrong color tape is something I know would not go well with the DW... Thus not doing this. But, if it comes down to looks vs damage - I'll add the clear or see if I can find the color matching sign tape that Scott mentioned...

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
leak, slide