Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LED interference?

I've been chasing problems with my thermostat. It sometimes wouldn't show all zones. Replaced with the newer model, still no change. Pulled ceiling heat pump covers and checked wiring, reseated the connectors, etc.
Now I'm thinking interference from the flat panel LED's I replaced the halogens with. Will be checking that when the rig gets back from Cummins from the latest engine rebuild in a couple weeks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I remember someone posted on one of the forums in irv2 for the same symtom sometime ago. You might just turn all lights off and see if the stat works.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
I remember someone posted on one of the forums in irv2 for the same symtom sometime ago. You might just turn all lights off and see if the stat works.
Yep, planning on it when the rig gets back from the engine rebuild in a couple weeks.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

I was under the impression that the ballast from fluorescents would cause these conditions.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
I was under the impression that the ballast from fluorescents would cause these conditions.
Might well be. When I installed my LEDs I removed the ballast for all of them.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

I dont know about LED TVs, but some LED video walls (billboard, indoor signage, concert video displays) can spew broadband RF energy all over. Early models could easily wipe out wireless microphone receivers, in-ear monitoring (see entertainers wearing what look like hearing aids? That's what those are) RF links, etc.

Some bad HDMI splitters, HDMI to SDI converters, and poor digital video cable termination practices can also leak lots of RF.

That all said, I'd be surprised if the HVAC thermostat was compromised by this... but I've learned that strange things that dont happen anywhere else seem to happen in an RV.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only one fluorescent light in the MH and I haven't changed it yet. The ones I have changed are flat panels with circuitry on the back and multiple diodes. Thinking back i did replace a couple somewhat close to the thermostat not too long ago.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

I’d bet my money on the remaining florescent .my a/c units used to shut off when I turned on the fluorescent lights .had to reprogram the stat with lights off to run the a/c in the dark .converted all the florscents to led and the problem went away. Try running the a/c units in the dark then turn on the lights one at a time and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

On our boat turning on some LEDs will cause the TV antenna signal to drop out.
There have been warnings about LEDs interfering w marine VHF radio communications.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
I’d bet my money on the remaining florescent .my a/c units used to shut off when I turned on the fluorescent lights .had to reprogram the stat with lights off to run the a/c in the dark .converted all the florscents to led and the problem went away. Try running the a/c units in the dark then turn on the lights one at a time and see what happens.
Can't be the one fluorescent light remaining as I haven't turned it on in many months and never after the trouble started. I have replaced several of the LED panels though, three if them close to the thermostat.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

could the ballast still be causing interference even though its not turned on? That would be because there is still electricity at the ballast?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Can't be the one fluorescent light remaining as I haven't turned it on in many months and never after the trouble started. I have replaced several of the LED panels though, three if them close to the thermostat.
Seems like your leds are different then mine. I used the led roll where I cut 2 lengths off the roll for each florescent fixture. I also added a wire wound resistor too each fixture to drop the voltage too 12 volts from 14 volts when i’m Plugged in to a/c power . Not very fond of those dutherm thermostats.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Seems like your leds are different then mine. I used the led roll where I cut 2 lengths off the roll for each florescent fixture. I also added a wire wound resistor too each fixture to drop the voltage too 12 volts from 14 volts when i’m Plugged in to a/c power . Not very fond of those dutherm thermostats.
Yep, I have some 60 of the 3" can lights. You can see a few of them in the picture. The one fluorescent is by the window over the sink and faucet. Our 2000 DSDP had the Thinlight fluorescents and I used the strip LED's in them sometime in 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (10).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	239364  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

Wow thanks for the info. It gives me pause because I am replacing my florescent fixtures with led. everything seems to be working, so far no interference but I have only done the two in the bathroom so far. The small flat screen in the cockpit is also led. I wonder if all this energy floating around is healthy.
Wewander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led