Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

Leveling Technique with HWH Air System

I had adopted a routine of dumping the coach air and then letting the HWH leveling system build the air pressure up to level the coach. This kept the coach as low to the ground as possible. However, when I left the system in automatic leveling mode it would periodically cycle to re-level about every 30 minutes. First, it would let some air out and then the pump kicked on and re-leveled the coach. I really didn't like the noise and creaking as the system kicked on, day-and-night, so I began to turn off the auto leveling to just get some peace and quiet.

Yesterday, I was doing doing some maintenance and had raised the coach for some ground clearance. I later turned on the auto leveling with the coach still raised. Wow! No more obnoxious pressure venting and raising to re-level. Instead, when needed, I may hear the pump kick on to make a small adjustment for just a very short time. No venting to speak of. I like it! And I bet the neighbors do to.

So, I guess I've been doing it wrong all along?! Or perhaps my HWH leveling system just needs some adjustment? Thoughts?
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

BonS,

My 04 intrigue did the same thing when I did what you stated.
I have since taken to Leveling from ride height and once leveling I dump air.
Stays level and have not annoyed the neighbors.
Be interesting to hear what the other folks do

greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
According to HWH you should just push the leveling button and not dump the air. I have also found that when the air bags are at extremes (completely inflated or dumped) on one side or front to back, it saves a lot of cycling if you block under the wheels to give the bags some adjustment play.
Good luck and safe travles
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the HWH Active Air installed a couple months ago. The first thing it does when leveling is dump the air bags, then it levels.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Once I am in position with the brake set, in neutral, I press air twice and the coach levels. When it is done I move the slides out, then I sit down. Every now and then I hear the system leveling. This process is per the manual that came with the coach. By the way, I love this stuff. All the good and all the learning. The folks that weigh in freely is the icing on the cake. Enjoy!!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

On our old rig, we level first, then dump to desired height.

No slides. Kept it simple....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

I'm still doing some research and found this on the HWH FAQ site:

86. My coach has HWH air leveling. Should I dump all the air from my suspension before leveling my coach?
No. The leveling system will do a better job if allowed to start at ride height. If the coach is on level ground or if you’re in a windy situation, the air can be dumped from the suspension to give more stability but the coach may not be level.
Oh heres the HWH FAQ link:
https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html

I agree great site..lots of knowledge shared here

greg
Old 08-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

We currently dump air, as the DW is unstable stepping down to a stool if it's too high in the leveled position.

I believe the adjust meant cycles have many variables:

- An air system with small leaks, will need more frequent re-leveling.

- The angle of the coach to the sun, and the temperature of the heat build up on the sun side, does cause the air bat on that side and or corner, to build up more air pressure. I see this more on the front corners bags, if the sun is say coming at an angle towards one side or another of the coach. More so in the setting sun, when pointing in the Westward orientation. Usually, from our coach mostly dumped before leveling, the side that has built up some pressure from heat gain, will dump some air out.

-How out of level a site was to start with, seems to also have a bearing on our coach. (Well, it did. We just had a manifold leak fixed, and have not had an extreme level need since - so wee'll see.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

Great info here. I'm so excited to have "fixed" something on my coach that didn't cost anything!! As another 24 hours has passed since I changed my leveling habits I've noticed that the coach isn't nearly as bouncy as it is when the bags are mostly deflated. Previously I could feel every footstep of my 105# wife. (No she doesn't know that I said that.) It now feels much more stable. I was actually wishing I had mechanical leveling up to this point, but not now.

It's going to be a long time until I take the unobtrusive nature of the leveling system for granted!
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

I pull in and hit the level button twice, then let the HWH system do the rest
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
Commercial Member

bons, you had to have done something wrong. a repair should never be without cost.
at least thats been my experience.

my hwh works fine, i can fix that, its just everything else. even my tow bar broke on the way to minot nd. hit a very bad dip in the road during construction.

paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #12

I also have the HWH air leveling system on my 2000 36ft Country Coach. I really never had the need to use it and haven't owed the unit a year yet but blew a Power steering ling and had to be towed and now I cant get it to go back into Travel mode and there is a red light on the drivers rear diagram on the control panel. I don't have the manual but managed to find instructions but no trouble shooting or anything that would point me in the right direction of getting it back into travel mode, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
ChrisK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
Commercial Member

hi chris, do you have a service manual for the leveling system. its different fron tyhe operators manual. if not, text me your emaio at 1-602-549-3638, and i wull send one tonight.
it may be that the dump valve isnt working, the park brake wire to the box isnt getting a signal, or a box problem.

if you cant get it with the service manual, please contact me at pfmaddox@att.net, or by phone.
paul maddox
i work full time for hwh corp. i do not solicit service work, or sell parts on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

Reason I first started this thread was. When we dumped air first then went to auto level it worked great but the sleep mode always came on at odd times or real early in the morning. Now we have only been in 1 RV park at this time but I know it would be real annoying to the neighbors to hear that pump coming on as it was for us in the pasture back at Dads house

I have recently found that when we level from ride height extend slides then dump we have not had that happen. It has stayed nice and level the past few days without the auxiliary pump coming on..

Any thoughts?

Greg

(ChrisK hope your issue has been resolved)

Tags
air, hwh, leveling