Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Lifted Jeep Towing

I have a 2008 Magna and also have a new 2015 Jeep JK that has been lifted 4.5 inches and on 37's.

I made a mistake by buying a bumper that seemingly nobody has used to tow with. I called the manufacturer (FabFour) and they said they weren't sure if Blue Ox would fit on their bumpers. This seems kinda insane considering blue ox seems to be the most popular tow bar on the market.

Does anyone have any experience with Warrior Products tow bars? Apparently they work on my bumper. Currently I live in Canada and the only tow bar the RV dealers carry up here is Demco - quoting me nearly 3K for install.

I've also read just about every post on towing a lifted jeep. Most people are running 35's with no problem. Anyone running 37's?

Lastly, I'm debating just buying a flatbed but I don't like the idea of needing to drop the trailer at every campground we attend. I would be worried about it getting stolen. Lots of people say its worth it to prevent wear and tear on the jeep but at the same time I don't want to be hassled by the trailer at every stop.

Here's the jeep picture. Sorry for excessive flex. lol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtundra View Post
I have a 2008 Magna and also have a new 2015 Jeep JK that has been lifted 4.5 inches and on 37's.

I made a mistake by buying a bumper that seemingly nobody has used to tow with. I called the manufacturer (FabFour) and they said they weren't sure if Blue Ox would fit on their bumpers. This seems kinda insane considering blue ox seems to be the most popular tow bar on the market.

Does anyone have any experience with Warrior Products tow bars? Apparently they work on my bumper. Currently I live in Canada and the only tow bar the RV dealers carry up here is Demco - quoting me nearly 3K for install.

I've also read just about every post on towing a lifted jeep. Most people are running 35's with no problem. Anyone running 37's?

Lastly, I'm debating just buying a flatbed but I don't like the idea of needing to drop the trailer at every campground we attend. I would be worried about it getting stolen. Lots of people say its worth it to prevent wear and tear on the jeep but at the same time I don't want to be hassled by the trailer at every stop.

Here's the jeep picture. Sorry for excessive flex. lol.

Depending on which bumper you have this might be just what you need:

Rock Hard 4x4 Blue Ox(TM) / Demco(TM) Tow Bar Bracket Kit (Pair) for Jeep CJ - JK 1976 - 2016 [RH-8000-BO]

To bad you didn't go with one of their bumpers also. I love this one:

Rock Hard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2016 [RH-5045]

Old 07-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Nice find! Thank you for posting this. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lifted Jeep Towing

Blue Ox themselves make a bolt on bracket similar to that at the Rock Hard link. I use the BO bracket with my aftermarket bumper.

On a previous Jeep I had fabbed up a set of brackets that adapt the BO tow bar to connect to aftermarket Bumper D-ring loops. Current jeep I went with the BO bolt on brackets so I don't have to on/off the D-rings when using the tow bar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
I work for Poison Spyder, and most of our bumpers come with 1" thick D-ring shackle tabs. If your Fab Fours bumper has similar shackle tabs, you can use these:

The red tow bar connects in those pics are made by a local shop here in So Cal that sells a lot of our bumpers, and they came up with that product to work with them so you don't have to have an extra set of tabs for the tow bar. The name of the place is Jeeperformance, Inc., in Yucaipa, CA, (909) 795-8998. I believe they have them that work with Blue Ox and Roadmaster Falcon tow bars. I use these on my Roadmaster Falcon 2 and they work great. That's not my setup in the pics above (I used an 8" hi-low receiver to level out my towbar). I couldn't find any pics of my Jeep hitched to the coach but here they are sitting together

1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

I am a flat tow guy but......are you sure you want to put miles on those spendy 37's? Not to mention if you had a tire issue on the Heep.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I am a flat tow guy but......are you sure you want to put miles on those spendy 37's? Not to mention if you had a tire issue on the Heep.
I'm not retired and not towing it constantly or great distances. Mostly just short trips within a few hundred miles, a few times a year. So its not really putting much wear on those BFG's. I'm towing it to Colorado at the end of this month, and that's probably the only long distance tow I'll have until Moab EJS next year. Before I had the coach I was driving it to those places anyhow.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dusty, I have the PS Brawler Lite. Are you saying those D ring shackle tab mounts are strong enough for a tow bar? I tow my JK on a car hauler but would love the option to flat tow when necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4410.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	133451  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

I toad a Lexus on 35's with a Slee front bumper. Had a local (old) hitch shop fab up a base plate to hook the Blue Ox to. No problems in several thousand miles other than said Slee contacting the rear cap of the coach in a full lock, off-road 360. I've since added an 8" extension tube and things are bueno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	133456  
Old 07-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Dusty, I have the PS Brawler Lite. Are you saying those D ring shackle tab mounts are strong enough for a tow bar? I tow my JK on a car hauler but would love the option to flat tow when necessary.
Sure, we know lots of people who do it. Those tabs are made for recovery use, in which they will typically see a lot more stress than in towing. I'd bet they're stronger than the tabs on most tow bar base plates I've seen. The caveat is that it makes the tow bar pretty high, so you'd need an appropriate hi-lo drop receiver to raise the coach end of the tow bar.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
Sure, we know lots of people who do it. Those tabs are made for recovery use, in which they will typically see a lot more stress than in towing. I'd bet they're stronger than the tabs on most tow bar base plates I've seen. The caveat is that it makes the tow bar pretty high, so you'd need an appropriate hi-lo drop receiver to raise the coach end of the tow bar.
Right...probably 8-12". Thanks for the info!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Right...probably 8-12". Thanks for the info!
For reference I have about 4.5" of lift with the ICON coilover kit on mine, and an 8" Hi-lo makes the tow bar just about dead nuts level behind my '98 Intrigue.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #13

I tow a JKUR lifted 4" on TeraFlex long arms w 37/12.5-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I wanted the 17" wheel size to give the most aspect ratio to the sidewall. I want that very strong/stiff sidewall to flex and have the room to roll over a bit. I like them a lot. In DD use, they don't turn as well as a narrower tire; but they WILL grab the mountain.

It's a heavy Jeep when fully outfitted for overland trips, although I put some of the heavier items in the MH when towing. Still, I can tell it's back there versus when it's not. I spend more time than I wished using my Allison 3000 touch pad. It doesn't take much of a hill to need the manual down and up arrows.

I studied LOTS of off road bumpers because of the weight and hitch height. I settled on a stubby from Rock Hard because they make one specifically for the 10,000lb Blue Ox Aventa II. It has a single 1" tow tab welded on versus the usual double tab found on almost all other off road bumpers. This allows the use of an adapter kit from Blue Ox that changes their normal single knuckle ends to double knuckle, making it much stronger IMO.

Rock Hard does something I wanted. They weld the tow tab directly opposite the ends of the rail. While the tow tabs are not attached directly to the rails, the surrounding bumper is. Rock Hard also welds smaller tabs below and inside the big tabs for hooking the safety cables.

I'm looking for a lock like the Bolt to use ILO the big pins furnished by Blue Ox. So far, I've not found one with the required larger diameter.

My 2006 Allure 470 at normal ride height measured 10 1/2" lower than my Jeep, center of hitch box to center of tow tabs. I bought a 10" hitch adapter from eTrailer. It is one heavy sucker with a gusset welded at the el. So far, it seems extremely solid; and I like the tow bars being almost exactly level.

A caution: Most Jeepers seem to keep D shackles attached to the tow tabs. I suspect they think it makes them look more Jeep-manly. Really, really bad idea. First, it exposes the screw to corrosion, making it hard to work exactly when you want it to work easily. Second, a 3/4" shackle is VERY heavy. Hanging it there will cause rubbing in the tab hole, eventually making it oblong or the equivalent. This results in the tow bar pin being looser than designed. Not something we want.

Finally, I attached hitch stabilizers to the MH's receiver box and the adapter's. I do not want any hitch bar play; and the stabilizers seems to stop that. They we're easy to install but hard to tightened. At each major stop for the first 500 mi, I had to re-ratchet the nuts. I think I would have had to do this even after a torque wrench because the torque on those receiver bars is tremendous. The stabilizers eventually stayed tight. If I we're to do it over, I'd use some Lok-Tite blue.

Training Wheels

Tags
tow, towing