Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Long Term Storage

Hi, All,
I have a pole barn where I store my coach when not in use. Soon, I will be winterizing it and get it ready for long term storage. So, my questions are:

1. Since I only have air leveling with no physical jacks, do you recommend putting the coach on blocks to relieve the weight on tires?

2. If you think it should be blocked what kind of jack stands do you recommend? My front axle weight is about 18K lbs, drive axle is 22K lbs, tag axle is 10K lbs.

3. Where specifically under the coach would you place the jack stands?

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

How long are you storing it? Until next spring? Or several years?
If just until spring or summer, in my opinion just leave it on its tires. Pump the tires up to about 25% more than normal....but never more than the pressure printed on the sidewall.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If just until spring or summer, in my opinion just leave it on its tires. Pump the tires up to about 25% more than normal....but never more than the pressure printed on the sidewall.
Thanks for your reply.

Just for the winter months which could be 5 to 6 months.
I have my steer tires (365/R70/22.5) set to 105 psi, drive axle and tag axle tires are 315/80R/22.5 and set at 100 psi and 90 psi respectively.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

If you had jacks already, or large wood blocks, no reason not to get the weight off of the tires. Admit I don't know for sure where to place them, but probably would look for a frame member front and back.

That being said, I agree with just pumping the air up to the max allowed, maybe 120PSI, as it is a common max cold pressure amount for many of our coach tires.

But always wanting to help a fellow CC owner. Just leave the keys and fuel card on the front seat, and Smitty will come by and move that coach to safer climates for the winter. If you're real nice, you can fly out and join us for a weekend!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I have my steer tires (365/R70/22.5) set to 105 psi, drive axle and tag axle tires are 315/80R/22.5 and set at 100 psi and 90 psi respectively.
Make sure you leave yourself a very large note on the steering wheel about the increased tire air pressure!!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."

From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Thanks for your reply.

If it were me with no jacks, just air leveling, I would let the air out of the bags till the Coach rests on its frame stops.......and rubber mats under the tires would be personal preference if on gravel/dirt floor. If you don't let the Coach down to its stops, within 5-6 months, it will more than likely be there anyway.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for good pointers! If I can support the four corners with some blocks of wood, I wold like to do it. Also, pumping up the tires is a viable option.
Palehorse89's suggestion of emptying the air bags is a good one.

Regards to all!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I would winterize the plumbing, air up the tires to max, plug it in if possible, dump air, and leave it
Old 10-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I would winterize the plumbing, air up the tires to max, plug it in if possible, dump air, and leave it
Don:Sound advice! Thanks for chiming in.

Tags
storage