Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

Long waits at Cummins Coach Care Centers

Well, off on a 10 day trip to Colorado. Lost a high pressure fuel line at injector pump. (In the middle of no where, of course) Got towed into cummins care center Albequeque. One week back log to even look at it (with no appointment, obviously) they did slide us in after three days. Determined that injector line was leaking badly... They have part in stock, but another several days to even get a tech to install it (about 1 1/2 hour job). Crazy. Inside fence " RV park" full!! Ruined our vacation. Oh well! Service manager mentioned that Denver's Cummins is two weeks backed up! There's got to be a better way! My co-polit suggested that we schedule appointments at all cummins centers on our route, then bi-pass if we don't need them. Haha. As they seem to honor appointments and if your stuck on road without one, your at their discretion to try any fit you in somewhere. Ugh. Signed very disappointed!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Get towed to an RV park or some other workable space.

Then get a mobile mechanic to do the replacement.

You could be back on the road in 24 hours, because the part is in stock.....

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Sure would help if there were more coach care facilities.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a starter quit right in front of the house as we were leaving. CoachNet called around and found that a FL dealer would take us right in. Got there and the service people said it would be at least a week before they could look at it. Claimed they never said they could work on it right away but the tow truck driver overheard them saying they thought it was a truck rather than a MH. We got CoachNet to approve towing to another place and they had us out by midnight.
So, it's not just Cummins!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

So maybe having a CAT motor is not so bad. I have had several CAT dealers help me almost immediately without an appointment in various locations. There seem to be lots of CAT dealers in the places we go on trips to. The exception is around San Diego, there they don't want to help us since we don't have a truck.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Well, off on a 10 day trip to Colorado. Lost a high pressure fuel line at injector pump. (In the middle of no where, of course) Got towed into cummins care center Albequeque. One week back log to even look at it (with no appointment, obviously) they did slide us in after three days. Determined that injector line was leaking badly... They have part in stock, but another several days to even get a tech to install it (about 1 1/2 hour job). Crazy. Inside fence " RV park" full!! Ruined our vacation. Oh well! Service manager mentioned that Denver's Cummins is two weeks backed up! There's got to be a better way! My co-polit suggested that we schedule appointments at all cummins centers on our route, then bi-pass if we don't need them. Haha. As they seem to honor appointments and if your stuck on road without one, your at their discretion to try any fit you in somewhere. Ugh. Signed very disappointed!
And, after waiting all that time I bet they raped you on their charges. I have a leaking Fuel Transfer pump which has basically four bolts to remove and the fuel lines to disconnect, the pump is easily accessible under the bed so no need to crawl around underneath trying to remove it. It can be removed after removing the engine cover under the bed so probably a two hour job, tops. I called Cummins Atlantic in Roanoke Va to see if they have the pump, yes, they do and then I inquired as to what his estimate for labor to replace the pump, he said it is an all day job and the labor charge will be over $1,000! Sounds to me like they are so busy they will charge whatever they think they can get away with. Needless to say I am looking for a mobile mechanic or a non-highway robbery mechanic to do the job. I definitely won't be going to Cummins Atlantic in Roanoke, Va!

Ray
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 10-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

Ray: Yes they were not cheap. Part (they said) was $219??? A one foot metal fuel line. Once tech got to it, took him 45 min. $889.00 bill. Prices are high, but for curtain major issues they know what they are doing.

Chuck
1999 Country Coach Intrigue
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Repair shop & Doctor's visit advice: "Do not go unless you have to"

They all love to make you wait-the way law enforcement loves to shut down traffic.

Inconveniencing folks is a form of control, they can brag to their friends about how long & how much they do it.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, unless we can do these things ourselves, we take on the liability of having to pay whomever we can find to do repairs when we buy one of these beasts .

I have been using Cummins Coach Care in Roanoke, VA since we got this coach. I've had the opportunity to always make my appointments ahead of time and one week was as long as I have waited for an appointment. I don't know how long folks wait for emergency repairs but my service advisor told me they always try to get to them quickly. He also told me their RV customers are just as important to them as their OTR and other commercial customers.

Are they expensive? Yes, but I don't think they try to 'rape' me on charges. They always provide their best estimate in writing before they start the work and the final bill has always been a bit less than the estimate.

Like many of the Coach Care Centers, the Roanoke location is now company owned. When I asked them if that meant more or less attention/focus on the RV business, I was told they expect to only improve in that area and seemed aware that the RV industry was enjoying a surge in business.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Well, unless we can do these things ourselves, we take on the liability of having to pay whomever we can find to do repairs when we buy one of these beasts .

I have been using Cummins Coach Care in Roanoke, VA since we got this coach. I've had the opportunity to always make my appointments ahead of time and one week was as long as I have waited for an appointment. I don't know how long folks wait for emergency repairs but my service advisor told me they always try to get to them quickly. He also told me their RV customers are just as important to them as their OTR and other commercial customers.

Are they expensive? Yes, but I don't think they try to 'rape' me on charges. They always provide their best estimate in writing before they start the work and the final bill has always been a bit less than the estimate.

Like many of the Coach Care Centers, the Roanoke location is now company owned. When I asked them if that meant more or less attention/focus on the RV business, I was told they expect to only improve in that area and seemed aware that the RV industry was enjoying a surge in business.

Cummins is in the process of buying up all their regional distributors.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Ray: Yes they were not cheap. Part (they said) was $219??? A one foot metal fuel line. Once tech got to it, took him 45 min. $889.00 bill. Prices are high, but for curtain major issues they know what they are doing.

Chuck
1999 Country Coach Intrigue
So, they charged you over $600 in labor for a 45 minute job! Wow, they must use new math there to get to $600 labor at $119 per hour times 45 minutes of labor. I have no problem paying the $119. Per hour but I do have a problem paying inflated time at that rate. It is getting more difficult to find honest charges at these facilities, by honest I mean charging for the actual time they are working the issue rather than charging for the time the rig is sitting in their facility waiting to for someone to work on it. You and I both know that it doesn't' take "all day" to replace a fuel transfer pump which is easily accessible and has four mounting bolts also easily accessible and a couple of fuel line connectors. Based on others experience, this is a two hour job. But, as long as they take us for fools and we allow it they will keep on doing it. There has to be an honest Cummins dealer out there.

Ray
2000 Country Coach
Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Glad they treated you right, maybe I got an inexperienced service rep on the phone who just didn't know that a transfer pump is replaceable in two hours and not 8 hours, big difference in their bottom line.

Ray
Old 10-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #13

Sorry for both the problem, and the wait!

I do know that many shops prefer the easy open access of a OTR over an RV. And not meant as a dig, but this is where side radiators and good coach back end designs, can really help. Some coaches have very good access to lots of the engine from the rear, not needing to come in from above leaning down thru the bedroom! (CC seems to be pretty decent access on most of the coaches I've seen.)

I have had good results at Coach Care facilities, and we recently were able to get in and out of Rocky Mountain Cummins in Grand Junction with a cracked Exhaust Manifold repair. They worked with me, and had a missing piece of the 2 pc manifold sent in from they then affiliate store our of Denver. We left our campground the night before, stayed at Club Cummins the night before, so that they would have a cold engine to work on the next day. We always, much to the dislike of my wife, tear down the bedroom and have the engine access available when top engine access is required. (Usually this saves me in shop rate hours, but sometimes backfires with 'You will buy me a dinner response from the wife!'!)

Value of competent help is hard to quantify. But I think all of us have had work done at places where they did not 'get it right' the first time, requiring a second repair. So sometimes those bargain lower shop rates, end up not being so.

Backlog of a shop is usually a good sign, unless it due to poor management - and that is usually evident as you pull in.

All that being said, a good mechanic and good plumber - are worth keeping close to you professionally!!

Smitty
Old 01-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Good news on the lift pump replacement, I decided not to have Cummins in Roanoke, Va replace it at a labor cost of over $1000 plus the price of the pump. I tightened the three bolts which connect the pump to the body of the pump assembly, that stopped the leakage. I was headed west to Arizona and then on into California, I checked the pump a few times while enroute and found no leak. Decided to go to Colton Truck Terminal in Colton, Ca due to their excellent reputation with other Country Coach my owners, what a different company. Very nice, no games and honest pricing, they charged me a little under $800 including labor, new seals/o-rings and the price of new lift pump included. Roanoke Cummins had quoted me over $1000 just for labor so the lower price actually paid for my fuel for the trip out here. That is a bonus, just wish that these guys were on the east coast. I would trust them with any chassis issue.

Tags
cummins