Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Have you read the posts in the Caterpillar forum on the C-15?
It seems like most of the info I could find on here was about the 2-turbo ACERT motor and not the pre-EGR motor.

This motor should have been made in late 02 or early 03 but the son selling for has father could not find the serial number. I will get to lay my eyes on it this weekend and can do some research with Cat.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
laj

have him give you the ser. # of the coach then call cc. they can tell you what is really in it. are you sure its a C-15? i am thinking more likely then not its a 525 C-13. jmho.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
have him give you the ser. # of the coach then call cc. they can tell you what is really in it. are you sure its a C-15? i am thinking more likely then not its a 525 C-13. jmho.
The C-15 was used in 2004 in the Affinity and Magna so it sounds right. The C-13 525 hp was used in 2005 and later.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

The serial number should be on the equipment list posted inside the bathroom medicine cabinet door.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The C-15 was used in 2004 in the Affinity and Magna so it sounds right. The C-13 525 hp was used in 2005 and later.
yes, i was mistaken. you are quite right. thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #20

Thanks All, I did get the engine number from CC

It's a CAT MBN 15940. Doing some searching it seems to be not quite as good as the 6NZ which ran a little lower compression and less likely to have head gasket issues with higher boost pressures.

The motor was rated at 1650 Tq and thought the combo was also available up to 1850 Tq but not sure on the MBN. series of motors.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #21

Update:

Turns out the MBN motor is called a Bridge motor. It was a bridge between the outgoing 6NZ (pre-emission) to the ACERT arrangement. Even though it was built in 03 it is considered an Emission controlled motor. It runs hotter, uses more fuel and is less responsive (according to my research on the truckers side) and the diesel shops try not to deal with them for fear of the wrath of EPA.

Some truckers were able to convert the ECM, Turbo, Injectors and Cam but this is much easier to do in a truck than it is a pusher motorhome in addition to the government pressure on the diesel shops.

I am sure it does decent in the coach but it sounds like it will be thirsty.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #22

Update
Flew out to see this coach and one other one in the area. The other coach was a 2002 Affinity and it suffered greatly from corrosion and did not interest us.

The 2004 was very clean with low low miles but suffered from not using/maintaining it.

Some sort of inverter issue blew up the (4) Lifeline Batteries (literally) and the inverter would not activate at all. Had to jump (via the switch) to start the generator and check things out from there.

Other notables were:
a noisy power steering unit

Date coded tires from 2003
Hydro Hot had not been serviced and the tank was empty and could not get off the cap which is a sign that their may be substantial corrosion (according to the factory)

Dash AC would not blow cold air

Back up/side cameras stopped working

The other item I am hoping to get some feed back on is the type of slide this coach has. The large living room street side slide is the rare drop floor slide that a dealer told us is a bear to work on and has issues. It worked okay for us but we did notice that the slide was not fully flush on the leading edge.
The portion of the floor that drops is activated by two air bags and actually has a slight spongy feeling when you walk on it. Does anybody have experience with this slide?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #23

And the PTO pump only had one hydraulic line...
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #24

From hearsay I have not heard anything good about the drop-down floor with the slide. CC only used it one year, which may be an indication. We are torn between a 2003 42-foot Affinity or a late-model Magna or Affinity when we get ready to upgrade, but from the stories I've heard of the drop-down floor and the thirsty (and heavy) C-15, we are nor interested in the 2004s.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #25

Some 2004's are available with the extended living room slide but is not the drop floor type of system. The Bob Lee Special addition units all have the other style slide even though the floor plan looks the same.

The trip computer revealed a life long average of 6.0 MPG but I don't know his driving habits. My guess is that they were conservative speeds.

There were several trips logged in the SilverLeaf ranging from 5.6-6.5.
Probably similar milage to the Acert motors.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
got it out of a totaled 03 affinity, with all mounting hardware. CC could get you a new one if you wanted. the extra cap. is really nice for either long back country roads or boon docking.

no rattles in my tv. maybe just lucking.

laj,

I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but could you share some more details about this swap?

I too am looking at an 03 Magna 42 and am really surprised (and disappointed) about the 110 gal fuel tank.

What all in involved in doing this swap. Is it something you did yourself, or paid someone to do?
What kind of money are we talking about?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
laj

It wasn't difficult, i used 2 floor jacks, and 1 friend. took about 8 hrs, and for the friend 1 case of beer. The cost wasnt bad as there's not a lot of call for these used cc tanks, paid 650 for everything.

The hardest part was fuel transfer. i wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Just put the front on blocks, put the 2 jacks under the tank, take everything loose and slowly drop it down.

I did find out since my last post that the people that originally built the tanks for cc are out of business.
Hope this helps.

Tags
advice