Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Looking to buy 2006-8 Intrigue Ovation 42

Hello all. My wife and I are planning on spending a little more time in the winter down south, and need a little more room than our 34 Horizon. The motor I would be looking for would be the 525 HP Cat. I have read a few places where aluminum radiators are being replaced, and was wondering if this could be an issue with this model and years. Also, though with this size coach our dry camping will be less frequent, I have a little concern over getting the full size residential refrigerator. Does anyone know how long these refrigerators will run on the house batteries, or will the generator be starting all the time to maintain it?

Any additional input/comments would of course be greatly appreciated.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

We have an all electric coach with a residential fridge. Before we put on three solar panels our batteries would go about half a day before the genny would kick on. Now less if there is sun. We have a 505 hp Cat. Had no problems with it. Ours is a little older than you are looking for. Generally speaking in my opinion the best years of CC ended about 2006. So you might look towards the beginning of your age bracket.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the response and comment regarding the year. The difficult financial years were at that point. Do you have an idea of how long it takes for the generator to get your coach batteries back up to full charge?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

The auto generator has a standard default setting of 240 minutes. It shuts off when it gets to the programmed amount. Usually about 90-120 minutes. During the day if you turn off the second inverter the three solar panels provide more power than used by the fridge.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just a quick question. How do you turn off the second inverter? I only see the inverter on/off on the Magnum control head in my coach.

Also, slightly off topic, sorry, where might I find the Hydro Hot pumps and check valves. Zone 1 does not supply heat, just blows cool air. I have started a thread in another forum, but thought I would ask here as well. Again sorry for changing the subject.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

In a phone conversation with the dealer, the technician believes it is the Zone 1 pump. I am working on convincing them to pay for the repairs since this is the first time we used the Zone 1 Hydro Hot since we bought this MH at the end of March. We have been living in it for less than a month and just yesterday picked up our grandsons that are sleeping in the front.

Again, sorry for the intrusion, will stop now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

On our coach which is 4 years older than yours we have two inverter control panels in front up on the top towards the passenger side. Ours have press buttons for turning them off and on. As far as the hydo hot pumps there is a diagram of all of them as to where they are in the coach in the manual drawings book. I have seen it.

When you need answers on your coach you should call the factory. We have had very good luck with them. Also, Kevin Waite who is in Junction City. I know it is a long ways from NY but consider going to Oregon and the factory sometime. Ron Lee owns CC corp now. His brother Bob Lee also has a very good repair place in Eugene OR.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #8

John,

You may not have much choice of what refrigerator you get if your buying used, each one I looked at came with all electric. If you want a gas/electric than you need to change it yourself but it will be considerably smaller than a all electric. The wife loves the size.

I had to give up nearly all my dry camping because our NEW batteries still don't last more than a few hours. I do turn the refrig and inverter off to increase my time but that takes careful monitoring so things don't thaw out.
The good news is that the generator runs very quietly and you probably will not wear it out.
The '06 comes with the 525 and that is what it takes to move it because it is heavy @ 42K. This weekend we drove from Tucson to San Diego and back, got 6.1 mpg. I was so happy because I normally get a whopping 5.5 mpg. Last month it was a trip to Rocky Point with a headwind and it was down to a disappointing 4.8. This is a far cry from my previous 300 Cummings. 24K pound RV that consistently got 8.5 to 9.2.

So if you want the 42', find the floorplan you like, the color that catches your eye, the price you can afford and don't finance it because your monthly expenses to operate it are payment enough.

Cheers, Norbert
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Thanks all....Norbert.....I have actually found a few used units with the Norcold fridge, which I think is the way we will go. My wife would prefer the other, but she can live with the smaller.

As for fuel economy, it is interesting that your fuel mileage has varied so much. My current 330 hp cat seems to remain constant between 8 and 8.5 regardless if I am pulling a 6000lb landcruiser or not. I will plan on traveling to non windy routes!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We just traded our 2002 36' Journey on the 42' Allure listed in my sig. It has the 425 Cummins ISL and seems to be plenty of power in the 42' coach. I was pleasantly surprise to discover that I am getting better fuel mileage with this heavier coach than with the 36' Journey with the 330 CAT. I guess it is a bigger motor working less hard than a smaller motor working harder . I averaged 7.8 or so with the Journey and have gotten 8.4 with the Allure in the same terrain.

This one also has the residential (Amana) fridge and two 8D AGM house batteries (I think the coach came from the factory with 4 8D batteries). At this point, we haven't tested the battery life off grid but I have auto gen start which starts the genny if the battery voltage gets below a set level. We don't boon dock (except an overnight at a Walmart) so it is not an issue for us. We had replaced the Norcold with a residential fridge in the Journey and would never go back to an absorption fridge again.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #11

Our 45 foot Magna with the 525 HP Cat is getting about 6.5 mpg on average. For this heavy coach, loaded the way we have it, I believe this is pretty good. I do however set the cruise on 60 mph. I'm not in a hurry and this slightly lower speed keeps the mileage up a little. For short trips does not make a big difference, but longer trips it does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

SMLRanger.....

How did the conversion from the Gas Absorption refrigerator to the residential frig go? Can you pass on the model of the residential frig, etc. and any other details you feel might be pertinent in the event I ever need to convert....
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhitty View Post
SMLRanger.....

How did the conversion from the Gas Absorption refrigerator to the residential frig go? Can you pass on the model of the residential frig, etc. and any other details you feel might be pertinent in the event I ever need to convert....
If I could have recruited the help to do the physical work of lifting the fridges in/out of the coach, I would have done it myself. I could not so I had a local RV remodel shop do it for me. It was not bad and the final result looked like a factory install.

We used a Frigidaire Gallery 18.2 cu ft. stainless upper freezer fridge from Lowes. It fit the existing 4 door Norcold opening with very little modification (height). Fridge was less than $700 on sale and shipping to the RV shop was free. I paid about $2,000 for the swap. Both fridges fit thru the entry door with the passenger seat removed.

The Samsung RF197 is popular for many folks who have done the swap. It is a counter depth French door, bottom freezer unit so it is much more expensive than the Frigidaire we used. It also fits the 4 door Norcold opening. Most any residential fridge that will fit in our coach and fit the opening without serious modification will work. Also, many of the fridges like pure sine wave inverter power so that needs to be considered. The Samsung RF197 is one that runs fine on modified sine wave power. However, I suspect the CC you are considering has a PSW inverter.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #14

Don't know if this will help, but check out this blog entry that I came across a few days ago.

Residential Refrigerator Power Requirements