Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Looking to buy our first Motor Coach

Hi all,

We are looking at purchasing a 2004 CC Intrigue Ovation 505.

I have been researching for months now.

One of my concerns is the 505 CAT "bridge" diesel engine. I have found out that this engine was manufactured in 2003. This engine has 62,000 miles on it. Should I be concerned about this engine or anything else?

Thanks,
Leon
leons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
2leons1, welcome to the irv2 forum.

First, the CC line is considered a high end line of motor coaches. You can be assured of a very high quality coach with a high level of fit and finish.

A diesel engine such as the Cat in question should be good for several hundreds of thousand miles. These engines, when found on 18 wheelers, commonly have 400 to 500K miles on them and are still going strong. You should have NOTHING to worry about with the engine, or the Allison transmission.

I am unsure if the Intrigue had the dry PTO problems. If so call Country Coach with the VIN number. They can tell you if this particular coach had the factory recall performed to replace the dry PTO with a wet PTO, and any other recalls for this line.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Looking to buy our first Motor Coach

Hi Leon,
I have the CAT C12 505 in my 2001 Affinity, and it has about 60K miles on it. It runs perfectly, powerfully and hasn't given me any problems at all. It is an industrial strength engine.
Properly maintained and operated it will not be due for an in frame rebuild before 500K miles. I should be so lucky as to see that day.
Like the man said, you should have nothing to worry about with the engine.
Due dilligence though, check previous owners maintenance records, call the CAT RV hotline with the engine serial number, and they will provide you with all the info they have for the engine including maintenance and repairs done at authorized CAT Dealers.

Luck,

Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Thanks Bob. I am buying from a dealer and he has no maintenance records. I did call CAT and all they showed was a repair at 48K, but they could not give me any details.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Good luck on your hunt!

Also check tj
He radiator to see if it is aluminum, if so, negotiate a price that includes coverage of a very high probability of needing a replacement. Belts and hoses if OEM are due for a change, price accordingly. Coluld be 3
2nd or 3rs set of tires - if 2nd also factor new tires in the price.

If first coach, hire an independent inspection of all systems. Also have the coach taken to CAT and have them look it over, dyno test it, and pull a full set of oil, trans fluid and have an analysis run.

I put about $550 into inspections of two coaches, and walked away - and was glad I did.

Sounds like quite a bit, but a big ticket item - so take your time and do the pre buy inspections now. It will he'll you on coming up with a fair price to pay, and why.

Go slow, have fun, buy a coach, and have a blast!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

I would suggest you follow all of the advice on the drive train. The coach part of the deal is rock solid.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #7

If you are looking to buy a CC you should go over to
Country-Coach-Owners : Country Coach Owners Association and join. There are a few CC owners hanging up there keys and most are well maintained and serviced plus another good place to ask questions.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Smitty77 can you remember?

Smitty77 can you remember the reasons you turned down the coaches after you had them inspected?

Thanks,
Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Good luck on your hunt!

Also check tj
He radiator to see if it is aluminum, if so, negotiate a price that includes coverage of a very high probability of needing a replacement. Belts and hoses if OEM are due for a change, price accordingly. Coluld be 3
2nd or 3rs set of tires - if 2nd also factor new tires in the price.

If first coach, hire an independent inspection of all systems. Also have the coach taken to CAT and have them look it over, dyno test it, and pull a full set of oil, trans fluid and have an analysis run.

I put about $550 into inspections of two coaches, and walked away - and was glad I did.

Sounds like quite a bit, but a big ticket item - so take your time and do the pre buy inspections now. It will he'll you on coming up with a fair price to pay, and why.

Go slow, have fun, buy a coach, and have a blast!
Smitty
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Like others have said, Country Coach is a great motor home. Unfortunately, like many of the great RV manufacturers they are no longer in production.

The Cat C12 is a strong engine and should give you a lifetime of great service. Some of the Cat engines tend to be “thirsty”. Check the coach computer for the lifetime average so you are not surprised.

As the others have said, check the dates on the tires, not just the tread remaining. Coach tires tend to age out long before they wear out. Current 22.5” tire prices run from $500-$700 each. If it has a tag axle, that’s eight tires to replace!
Also, check the exterior walls (especially in dark colored areas) for delamination.

Watch out for dealer pricing. Many are still pricing coaches well above market value.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #10

Thanks Vito.a You provided some good info for me. Do you think a 2004 CC Intrigue Ovation 505 with 62,000 miles, radiant heat, security system, complete tile except bedroom, 3 A/C's, Washer/dryer, 3 year old tires, priced at $125,000 and advertised like new in excellent condition is priced too high?

Thanks,
Leon
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #11

Retired Fire Service RVer's
You said a dealer right? Offer $75K to $80K and see their reaction. Most dealers are asking considerably more than they have invested in the coach.

Our Magna ask was $259K, we settled on $215K. The wholesale is $265K so we have equity built into the deal.

Here is the NADA MH guide.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The Ovation 505 is top of the line for the Intrigue. NADA low retail bluebook is $124,000 and average retail is $149,000. Wholesale book is substantially less. Most dealers prefer used coaches with under 50,000 miles, so they probably paid a very low price for this coach.

Is it a 2 or 3 slide model? The 3 slide is highly preferred as it has a very large living room/kitchen area.

Do an online search nationwide and compare prices. Even if you find one 2000 miles away, you can use the ad as leverage to lower the price on this one. I agree with Medico, start with a low offer (around $100k) and work from there.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #13

Thanks Medico and vito.a This is a three slide coach and does look roomy from the pictures. We are driving to Fl. this weekend with the intentions of bringing it home. So far the things mentioned from the replies on Irv2 is: check the tires, check for wet or dry PTO, check the radiator, have a CAT mechanic check the coach out, check the coach computer, which I can see installed in the pics. There is a CAT service center 2 miles away. I would be grateful for any other input.

Leon
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #14

Smitty77,

Great advise on having the coach checked out. I spent $500 to go though the one I was looking at and I'm glad I did. I told the dealer he could keep his coach. Never buy from Quality Motor Coaches in Orlando. I was lied to on many occasions and know now why they are rated an F from BBB.

Leon