Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #15

I got my coach out of the repair shop today! It was anti-climatic though.

The tech pulled my coach up to the front door and me me as I was walking out. He said the engine stopped just as he was about to turn it off?! He was just reaching for the key and it just stopped.

I went out to the coach and looked things over. It was out of fuel. Dead empty. I brought my coach to them 6-weeks ago and it was nearly full; Nearly 135 gallons full.

He said the generator was running when he went out to the coach and asked if I had an automatic generator start (AGS) system. I said, yes, but the house batteries were turned off so it would never start. I looked at the house battery switch and it was ON..

I have smart lithium batteries and I can see that they now have about 15 additional "cycles" on them. So the inverter was running down the batteries and the generator was charging them back up over-and-over.

I know the house power switch was off when I turned the coach over to them. Note to self: Turn off the house battery switch and tape over the switch!. They denied any culpability, but offered 10 gallons of fuel to get me out of their parking lot. Oh, and forget about the generator fuel pickup not extending to the bottom of the fuel tank; At least in my coach that is.

It was tough getting the engine restarted that's for sure. I made a beeline straight to a truck stop to fuel up.

Oh, and about my reconditioned steering: eh. It feels better, not amazingly better, but better. Maybe I was expecting too much. I only put about 30 miles on it while getting it home. I'll follow up if and when my opinion changes. I'll be inspecting their work as soon as the rain stops here in the Midwest.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #16

The repair shop told me that two wheels had bad seals and the brake pads were soaked in oil. I knew that I hadn't smelled oil on the brakes so I was suspicious. When asked why the seals were leaking they said it was just age. I then asked why we would then just replace the two leaking seals but not all of them? They said "nobody does that". They went on to say that all the brake pads must also be replaced on both sides of the coach to keep the braking force symmetrical. I then pointed out that if we just replace the two leaking seals then won't we just be back here replacing the other two seals and all four brakes again? No response. They estimated $3k to do the two wheel seals and the four brakes (and they're easy to do disk brakes). I declined and decided to take a look myself when I retrieved the coach.

I finally got a good look underneath my coach today. I found one wheel seal leaking a little and no oil on any of the brake pads. So much for honesty! I'm now debating on whether to get some estimates from a few local truck repair shops on replacing just the wheel seal or to do it myself. One thing for sure, I'll do it before it gets worse and fouls the brakes for real.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doesn't sound like any fun to me. I have more play in my steering than I like, but haven't had it looked at yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering