Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Low Air Pressure Alarm

I have a 1999 Country Coach Allure that I am trying to become faniliar with. It does not seem to have an audible alarm for low air pressure. The Low Air Warning Lamps work okay. Does anyone know if it should have an audible alarm and if so, what it looks like and where I should look for it.

Thanks for any help.
NedL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Yes, an audible alarm is required. Perhaps a previous owner disconnected it. It's usually under the dash on the driver's side. If you're lucky, you'll just have to plug it in again or connect it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

We have a gauge, but I don't think we have an alarm. I always glance at the pressure gauge before driving off. I look at the panel that tells you if you are in travel mode or not. I can tell you from past experience that if you are not up close to full pressure the coach will bounce off the stops if you go over speed bumps on the way out of an RV park in the morning.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
laj

agree with B Bob, mine doesn't have an alarm for low air, just one if the parking brake is on.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #5

Our 92 Magna has low air pressure alarm, loud piercing sound, usually go outside until it quits , not sure where it comes from but I would think yours should have this also.
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I tried using Google and couldn't come up with a firm answer. An warning is required for low air on trucks and buses, but doesn't specify if RV's are included. The warning must be a light, but doesn't require audible alarm. This puzzles me because I thought an audible alarm was required. Every air brake equipped vehicle I've ever driven have had an audible alarm. I would think a light would be easy to miss and not give adequate warning before spring brakes would be applied and leave you in the middle of the highway. The warning system is set to kick in about 20 lbs before the spring brakes would apply, giving you time to pull over, or enough pressure to apply regular brakes and come to a stop. Remember, when the air is gone, your only stopping power is the spring brake, over which you have no control.

As annoying as they can be when airing up, I'd still want an audible low pressure alarm, I'm puzzled that B Bob and laj report they also don't think their RV is equipped with one.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

Nedl; welcome to iRV2.
A question about your unit, do you have air brakes ? Two air pressure gauges ?
The reason I ask some coaches were built with air suspension but had a hydro - boost braking system. The low pressure alarm is a " not enough pressure to operate the brakes , don't move !" Warning. That a unit with only air suspension may not require.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Nedl; welcome to iRV2.
A question about your unit, do you have air brakes ? Two air pressure gauges ?
The reason I ask some coaches were built with air suspension but had a hydro - boost braking system. The low pressure alarm is a " not enough pressure to operate the brakes , don't move !" Warning. That a unit with only air suspension may not require.
Wow, I think you're correct! I tip my hat to your reading comprehension skills. I didn't pick up on the 'air gauge' (singular) that points to air suspension, not air brakes.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #9

I have a question about the gauge , Mine has a red needle and a green needle, which one goes to what? one is for suspension and one for brakes?
is red for brakes? lately the red one is bleeding down when parked just wondering where to start looking for the leak,
Thanks ,
Benny
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

I believe one is for service brakes and the other is for emergency brakes, red I believe is emergency if my old trucking days serves me right
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
The two needles represent the pressure in your two air tanks. Like all modern braking systems, each tank only applies pressure to two wheels. I'll make a WAG and suggest the red needle represents left side, green right, but that's only applying marine (nautical) logic. An Air Brake Primer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(road_vehicle)

While out of date and wrong about some factors (no air dryer, etc.) it gives some good insight into how the compressor and unloader works.
Air Brakes - Principles of Operation - YouTube

Bob & Donna
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig, the green needle is the rear brake air tank both service and parking.

The red needle is for the front air brakes and the supplementary air systems like horns, leveling etc.

The above is in the CC manual. Perhaps your rig is similar.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
On my rig, the green needle is the rear brake air tank both service and parking.

The red needle is for the front air brakes and the supplementary air systems like horns, leveling etc.

The above is in the CC manual. Perhaps your rig is similar.
100% for a single gauge w/two needles set up.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by benford View Post
I have a question about the gauge , Mine has a red needle and a green needle, which one goes to what? one is for suspension and one for brakes?
is red for brakes? lately the red one is bleeding down when parked just wondering where to start looking for the leak,
Thanks ,
Benny
If your coach is like mine, the air leveling is active, even with the engine off.
So if your coach is parked, and your in and out of it the air ride will exhaust air in an attempt to keep the coach level. I can hear my system doing this at fuel stops. So before you spend too much time looking for an air leak in the suspension, that may just be normal operation, a simple test would be, find a level , quiet, area to park the coach and as you shut the motor off , note the gauge reading , then as you exit the coach listen for the air leveling operating.
The noise should stop in less than 30 seconds after your off the steps, if it continues then you have a problem. Once the noise stops , walk around the coach stopping at each wheel , listening for escaping air , if you cannot hear anything, leave the coach parked where it is for as long as possible( at least overnight if the area is secure ) and check your air gauge as soon as you get into the coach. If the drop is more than a few needle widths, you may need to check further.
Checking further would involve, going under the coach with a spray bottle of soapy water to soak down the air bags checking for leaks.
This is a risky operation if the coach drops you can be in a dangerous position ( being crushed ) so use safety stands at each corner prior to going under the coach.
Note: The weight of the coach can push a safety stand through asphalt so a reinforced concrete pad is the spot to be doing this.