Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LP detector question

The LP leak detector mounted near the floor was chirping recently. Our only LP appliance is the three burner stove and that was not in use so I figured the gizmo was shot. I had planned to replace it with a new detector.

In my search for a replacement I have learned the following:

1. The CCI unit is no longer made (company OOB)
2. The device is linked to the solenoid that controls the LP flow from the tank and shuts off flow if it alarms or is shut off.
3. I blew some compressed air into the thing and re-installed it, it chirped and reset, turning the gas solenoid valve back on.

If/when this thing finally gives up, does anyone make a replacement that will work with the LP shut off valve? Or, can you bypass the auto valve shut off feature?

Frankly, I'd rather have the ability to manually shut off the LP and not rely on a solenoid. I did not immediately see a manual shut off valve on the tank but I suspect there must be one.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Sometimes the solenoid is installed because of limited access to the tank valve, so you don't have to go under the coach to turn the manual valve off.
I have a replacement detector sitting in the garage, bought it for a 5er then traded it off before I got it installed, I'll check the wiring diagram and see if it has the , solenoid shut down capability.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The shut-off solenoid is NOT a requirement for any RV application as stated in this article.

The RV Doctor: Replacing an Outdated RV Propane Leak Detector

So if you want to just replace the LPG Detector I recommend this one. BUT you also need to remove the safety solenoid and then have the system leak checked.

Safe T Alert RV Propane Detector and LP Detector

However, if you want to stay with the safety solenoid, then you need to purchase an entire brand new kit.

SAFE-T-ALERT 70-742-R-KIT DUAL PROPANE/LP AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM

My coach never came with a safety solenoid and I like it that way. I can turn the main valve off when needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

You do have a valve on the propane tank that can be shut off.

Any kind of propane detector will work as a replacement.

FYI, my detector is now 12 years old and it still works.

Lots of different smells will set it off, hair spray, some colognes, if an animal "passes gas" near it believe it or not.

The reason there is a detector down low is because propane is heavier than air so it settles on the floor. The detector will sense it and activate the solenoid to shut the propane off at the tank. For safety reasons and I think current law, a detector is required equipment.

You might touch bases with Kevin Waite and see if he has one. RV Service Reviews
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

I let my Brother take my Trailer for a couple days, when I got it back and turned on my battery switch and plugged into out side power, my LP leak detector was just strait buzzing (Loudly). I could not find anything wrong, I had the LP Tanks off to be refilled. and I had not power anywhere, even though I was hooked up to outside power. I took a half hour to find that my Brother had flipped ALL the breakers in the panel OFF, instead of just turning the battery switch off. if all the breakers are off, the PL detector goes NUTS. it stopped when I turned the breakers on.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
When the detector is turned on so that the valve is opened it will chirp for a few seconds. If the detector and thusly the propane is on, if the chassis battery is disconnected, then reconnected, the detector caused a rapid chirp until we shut it down then turn it back on. I suspect his is the alarm condition. Both of these conditions is normal.

If the chirping does not go away after a time, then it could be a failure.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

they say you are supposed to replace detector every 5 years, my original worked for 17 years then one day I was walking by the rv and heard alarm sounding. couldn't get it to stop so I unhooked it. The replacement safe-t-alert one I just bought has an end of life circuit built in. 5 years from now it will automatically quit working. I didn't notice this "feature" until after I had it all hooked up and was reading the owner sheet.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

From what I have read, most LP gas detector manufacturers recommend replacement after 7 years. That doesn't mean that they will all last 7 years minimum. If the gas is shut off and the RV has all the doors and windows opened and the interior is purged with fresh air, and the detector is still alarming away, it's time for a new one.

Sad thing about our little babies (our RVs), they always need ongoing maintenance and service of some sort, even on a fairly new one.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #9

To test, take your propane torch, DON"T LIGHT IT, and turn it on in front of the detector.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
To test, take your propane torch, DON"T LIGHT IT, and turn it on in front of the detector.
I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

If the detector is not functional, I will remove the solenoid and replace with the Safe-T-Alert detector.

FYI, I looked again and did find the manual LP shut off valve on the tank. It was hidden from view thru the door. Still learning this new beast.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
. Still learning this new beast.
Aren't we all, 3 years and I'm still finding fuse locations.
I'm at 10 right now and I think I lost my list of the location of the first nine.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Skip426;1627424]Aren't we all, 3 years and I'm still finding fuse locations.
I'm at 10 right now and I think I lost my list of the location of the first nine.[/QU OTE]

Join the club
Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #13

I know this was about LP Detectors, and yes ours is now coming up on 10 years old and we will replace it on our schedule - as opposed to on a trip! Pro's and Con's of having the auto-shut-off feature. Con's - more stuff to go wrong! Pro's is a nice safety feature in case an LP leak does occur. A failure of a heater, fridge, stove control valves, or an accident that hits a LP line. The Auto-Shut-Off can provide you a bit of an edge in these rare occurrences.

One last reminder. Besides keeping the LP, keep your maintenance up on the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors. These safety items are as important as checking the tire PSI, oil and coolant levels - but so often I talk to owners that do not have these on their regular 'To Do' maintenance schedule.

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I know this was about LP Detectors, and yes ours is now coming up on 10 years old and we will replace it on our schedule - as opposed to on a trip! Pro's and Con's of having the auto-shut-off feature. Con's - more stuff to go wrong! Pro's is a nice safety feature in case an LP leak does occur. A failure of a heater, fridge, stove control valves, or an accident that hits a LP line. The Auto-Shut-Off can provide you a bit of an edge in these rare occurrences.

One last reminder. Besides keeping the LP, keep your maintenance up on the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors. These safety items are as important as checking the tire PSI, oil and coolant levels - but so often I talk to owners that do not have these on their regular 'To Do' maintenance schedule.

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Agree. We just got this coach and I am finding little things that need attention. The first owner generally had all the critical coach maintenance done but I don't think he was one to do much himself. We were not satisfied with only one smoke detector up front so I added a new combo smoke/CO detector in the hallway near the bedroom. My 'to do' list is long. My DW says I always seem to be 'fixin' or checking something on our motorhomes.