Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Magna breaking down....

I have a 1998 Magna that I love, but it is having a dangerous problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. It gives about 20 seconds of warning beep beep beep, and then shuts the engine off, losing power, steering, and brakes! Help! I have had it towed twice, and limped it into Freightliner a third time, and they can never recreate or diagnose the problem. Once previously it kept shutting itself off, and the problem was low fluid in the radiator, however that is not the problem now. It has stopped in the middle of a busy road which was bad, but i am terrified to take it on the highway. Thanks in advance! Marcy

mlpmd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Welcome ot IRV2 ! Sorry under the circumstances....

What type /model engine do you have...
If cummins (which I suspect) you might post here

good luck !

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Thanks JohnBoyToo, I did that! Hopefully someone will be able to help. I also have a call in to Country Coach Tech support, now that they are back up making Country Coaches, and hope they might give me some pointers......
mlpmd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
You might consider taking it to a Cummins shop - Not all FL's are Cummins shops. Do you have SilverLeaf? I'm sure you have checked the obvious; fluids (oil, engine coolant, trans. fluid). Could the radiator be dirty and needs cleaning? If you had SilverLeaf you could check on the temps (engine, trans. etc.). Does it do it when it gets hot? If so, you might limp it along - saving you the problem and cost of towing.
Good Luck!
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
1998 may still be gillig?

Look at the floor where your left foot goes at driver seat.

May be 2 dimmer switches or if dimmer is on column a single one.

The engine protection module monitors oil pressure engine temp and maybe couple other things.

When something unsafe for engine a sonalert makes noise and after sone seconds engine shuts down.

Pushing the dimmer that is not a dimmer disables this so you can get off the roadway.

If gillig send them an email asking for details for the epm and they will send it to you or maybe someone here has copy.

Ours is 1989 so much different.

You need to check all of the inputs to verify working properly or that engine is good.

If you unplug module engine will not run BTW.

A loose wire on a sensor will do this.

Do take the time to verify each input to the source to be sure the engine is not in trouble.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
Please understand that I'm not pushing you away from this site, as it has great info and there are people that will help you to fix, upgrade you coach.
But, you should also try Country Coach Yahoo group. you must join the group and then you can post the same message and get their opinion (who own similar year and model) on what might be the problem and possible solution. I use both sites to research problem, solutions and upgrades. There are former CC tech's on the site also to help you with any problems. On here and the other group, owners will recommend good repair facilities to fix your coach. Good luck with your travels, without worrying about the vehicle suddenly stopping.
2007 Allure 430 & 2012 Jeep Overland
SoCal Mountains
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
I'm sure it's on a Gillig chassis with a Detroit 530/series 40
Have you ever cleaned this strainer before the fuel filter?
If you are having a hard time starting were it starts and runs for a second or two change that ball. All these parts can be had at a Internationl dealer. If you need part #s let me know.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Years ago I had a similar problem. I spent about $700 with Allison and Cummins trying to determine the source of the problem.

If you find that the beep, beep occurs on sharp turns such as freeway cloverleaf entrances or in parking lots, it may be your radiator surge tank.

In a hard right turn, the coolant moved away from the low coolant sensor and sets off the shut down sequence.

My rig was continuously sending a small amount of coolant overboard until the surge tank was low enough to uncover the low coolant sensor. There was no obvious trace of coolant leakage.

Due to the flat rectangular shape of the tank it did not take much coolant loss to start the shut down process.

Burping the coolant system (removing the air) solved the problem and it cost nothing. The mechanic who changed my coolant failed to do that step after filling the system.

The instructions are in the Cummins manual and on decal on my surge tank for the burping process for my rig.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Any luck on finding the problem?

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote

cummins, engine