Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Magna electrical issue

I will try and explain my problem best I can. Love the site first time poster!. 05 magna 630. Short story we leave to go camping and have minimal power in coach plugged in. No 12v lights or plugs but fridge and microwave, silverleaf panel are working.. Checked all connections then started coach. Now with coach running everything is working great. Story continues in the middle of nowhere dry camping for the weekend. Shut motordown and lose almost all power except a few appliances and lights. Kick on generator and still no power. Now it gets weird. When wife went use toilet and flush , it completely kills the generator. Everything we tried to do would either not work or kill the generator without the motor running. Except a/c's they worked great with generator. any ideas. I know by story is vague but hopefully understandable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

AC and microwave run off 120 VAC so not part of the problem when plugged in or on the generator.

Sounds like a DC problem. What is your house battery voltage? Sounds like your batteries are not charging or are charging but lack capacity. The fact that 12 V stuff works when the main engine is running indicates that they are getting 12 VDC from the engine alternator. The fact that anything that draws 12 VDC power creates a problem points to that system. Fact that it does not work when the genset is running indicates no charging or supply from the converter/inverter charger. Could be bad connections or relay or charging system.

FWIW I'd start by shutting down and measuring the battery voltage then plug in the unit and measure. It should go up. If it does not find out why. If it does load test the batteries. Easiest way to do a quick check is to monitor the voltage while somebody turns on so 12 VDC loads. If the battery voltage stays high repeat at the load end as a bad connection can also drop voltage across the connection. Do some tests, post some results and there are several folks here who can give you more answers.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

I will start testing. Any ideas as to why flushing toilet or using to many lights would kill a massive generator like that?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

I would check inverter charger and maybe reset the inverter. It sound like stone dead battery's and any 12volt use kills fuel circuit to gen. I was working with an intrigue and was having trouble with dc and found the inverter needed to be reset then it started charging. Let us know what you find.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Volt meter reads 14.2 on batteries. There are two inverters. How do I reset them? What's strange is there is a bank of lights on the kitchen slide that work fine?. Two local techs are puzzled as well.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #6

Part of your challenge is that all Rvs come with three electrical systems: chassis, coach, and house. Understanding how they work "together" and what device or appliance uses which is at the heart of your ability or luck at troubleshooting.

For example, the LED lights use the coach system, the microwave and a/c's use the house system, and the front dash and engine starter motor use the chassis system. The batteries for the chassis are different from the batteries used in the coach, or should be, as the system requirements are different in how the batteries need to perform.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a quick reply, and this is just a bit of info to begin to help you understand why you get these confusing behaviors when one of the systems is not doing its part.

Note: "No 12v lights or plugs but fridge and microwave, silverleaf panel are working.." this should generally make sense now because the house system seems to be working, but the coach system doesn't! Right???

Your statement about the coach having minimal power suggests you, before this post, thought in terms of less than three systems...right???

"Now with coach running everything is working great." Actually, by running the chassis system, this has added power to all the systems, so we know the chassis system is probably not the problem, but is helping out when running...right???

I got 5 cents that says that understanding this background information starts leading you in the right direction the deeper we go???
Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutkus View Post
Volt meter reads 14.2 on batteries. There are two inverters. How do I reset them? What's strange is there is a bank of lights on the kitchen slide that work fine?. Two local techs are puzzled as well.
The short answer is that if your generator controls work off the 12 VDC supply line and the line sags the generator would shut down. Since your problems sound like line sag that is a reasonable answer. Measure the 12 VDC at the genset control board during a failure to rule it out. Probably not easy so work back up the chain of connections.

You say two inverters. That puts the question of why. Is it two inverters or an inverter (makes AC from DC) and a converter (makes DC from AC) of a combination unit that does it all and another part that does something? Get model numbers and look them up or post them and it will be a big clue. Terminology matters in this case.

FWIW you seem to be stuck with several of us who know electrical systems to some level but do not have your unit. We can tell you how to find a problem but we cannot tell you that the inverter is located behind the third dresser drawer counting down.

Your problem sounds like line sag that can be bad batteries but of the charger is working is probably something else. The battery bank typically has a heavy wire out to one or two large relays that might look like a car starter relay in a can. From there it goes to the converter and to the distribution panel where the fuses are. A bad connection anywhere in that chain will give you line sag when power is drawn. There are two ways to troubleshoot something like that. Check each connection in the sequence or start somewhere down the line and see if that point is OK then decide which way to go from there. THe method is often dictated by ease of access.

In this case I would find the relays and check voltage on either side when the load is applied. The input to the distribution panel is also a good point. Either place you need loaded and unloaded voltages.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Be sure to test the 300A Class T fuses between your batteries and inverter.

My old rig has two. One in the battery compartment and one near the inverter.

A friend with an 07 Affinity has similar fuses and had similar symptoms 4 years ago. Once he checked he found the fuses to be the problem. He had one for each inverter as I remember.

Your wiring schematics can be your friend in finding the fuses.

A solar store, marine store, or the internet can be your replacement source. Each fuse costs about $30.

Mine have failed 4 times n 13 years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

12 VDC Block Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutkus View Post
It sounds as though one of your 12 circuit breakers has tripped. Look in the diagram below for the breakers in the wires leading from the +12VDC common point where the domestic (not chassis) batteries are tied together. Those breakers are above the batteries.

As for resetting the inverter(s); At the inverter (in the basement) turn off the inverter (both if you have two) and unplug the "Remote" cord. Looks like telephone cord-plug-socket. There are two of these cords per inverter/charger. One is the "Remote" the other is the "TSC" (temperature sensitive charging). You're interested in the "Remote". Don't get them mixed up. Leave them unplugged for a few minutes and then plug them back in.
You may need to restart the inverter(s) by pressing the little blister button on the far upper/left face of the inverter/charger.

Your coach is newer than mine but the layout of the electrical stuff should be similar. I have two Heart Interface Freedom 458 inverter/chargers. Heart was acquired by Xantrex and that may be the brand you have. Xantrex has been helpful over the phone and you may need to call them if the advice you're getting here does not solve the problem.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #10

Co-Co Dave's diagram shows two of the 200A Class T fuses in the Domestic Battery area.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Yes I am familiar with the large fuses in the basement compartment next to inverters. You guys are awesome, I can't wait to get back to garage to start diagnosing with a little more knowledge. Will keep updated

Tags
electrical