Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Maintenance on an Affinity Country Coach

I'm buying a 1998 Affinity Country Coach with about 55,000 miles on the coach with a diesel generator with about 460 hours of running time. What kind of maintenance will I have with the coach? The owner said that the coach is in very good condition, but he doesn't know anything about the maintenance on the coach. He is selling the coach from an estate. Three of the windows have the inner seals that has expanded in the double pane glass and will need to be repaired. What will the cost of this repair be and a full service of the coach? The tires on the coach are about 6 years old also. I would very much like to have some feedback from some Renipladlos.
Thank you in advance for your help.
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just like anything else, stuff wears out and breaks. Really no way to guess what will break next.
Window cost can be relatively cheap if you do the work yourself, paying might be up to $500 each.
No idea on the full service as I've never paid someone to do it. I buy the filters, oil and grease and dive in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #3

Window fix, figure $300 per window. That is removed, resealed and reinstalled.

Tires figure $600 per tire max. Probably cheaper with the FMCA program

A full service at a Cummins Coach Care facility will probably cost about $1200
Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don:
Where did you find $300 per window? I was quoted $450 at the glass place in Coburg last year.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know where you are located but I can tell you about a few of your questions...
At 6 years I would replace the tires. Double check the date codes on the tires to get a true tire age. Most say you should replace at 6-7 years. If they were put on 6 years ago they could well be closer to 7 years old. As to the windows, I am not totally familiar with that era Affinity but I believe they may have had "standard" sliding windows. If so, here in the NW it is (depending on size) $300-$400 to redo each window, if you are really handy you could do it yourself. Cost of service depends on what you need to do. Oil change wil be in the $300-$400 range for engine oil and filters. Generator (I am assuming it has one but I don't really know) will likely need fluids/filters changed, and Transmission fluid/filters may need changing. Fluid analysis may be helpful in deciding what needs to be done. Also don't forget coolant. With an unknown history I would have the cooling system properly drained and flushed and refilled with new coolant. Also probably a few hundred dollars. I am a big advocate of fluid changing, what I would do might be overkill for some.
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #6

Thank you dons2346 for the window repair pricing and the cost for a full service.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Don:
Where did you find $300 per window? I was quoted $450 at the glass place in Coburg last year.
Get in Touch with Dave Root out of Bend. Bigger "double" windows are $380, small ones (like the really small ones seen in Bathrooms)n are about $280. The 3 window unit next to the driver in my current coach was $500.
Dave Root Glass
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of mine is relatively small (over the dining table) but the other is the big door window.

I really don't want to drive to Bend to get them done, if I do that I'll need to wait till 2017 at least due to the DW's health.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

Don, Do you have the phone number of Kevin Waite in Oregon. I would like to have him take a look at the Coach that I'm buying. The coach is in Oregon around Portland.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #10

Kevin's number is (541) 953-6162, kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
One of mine is relatively small (over the dining table) but the other is the big door window.

I really don't want to drive to Bend to get them done, if I do that I'll need to wait till 2017 at least due to the DW's health.
He comes to the Portland area on occasion too (he travels when it makes sense, he goes through California once a year or so too). It couldn't hurt to call him. Maybe he is coming this way soon. He did y door window too and I think it was in the $380 range but he will have you send him some pictures and go from there.

timneal49: With Regard to Kevin Waite, I believe this is correct
K&M Mobile RV Repair LLC
95430 Noraton Rd.
Junction City, OR. 97448

541-953-6162 (Cell)
kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Take the coach to Caterpillar for an engine checkout. They can run the codes on the engine to see if it overheated or had any other issues. They also do an oil analysis when they do the oil change, but you may have to ask for results. They done give you one if there is no issue with the engine. They will also have a history on the engine if it has been serviced at Caterpillar. The 1998 Affinity has a 455hp Cat, which can be upgraded to the 505hp in the later engines if you want more pep.
Likewise with the transmission--take it to an Allison service center, you may want to change fluid to Transynd. More expensive, but the synthetic fluid lasts longer.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

You should probably consider replacing all fuel lines to engine, diesel heater, and generator. Replace all hoses in the engine compartment, replace the air drier, new tires all around, filter and fluids for the engine, tranny(use synthetic trany fluid), and hydraulics. Have the propane system checked and adjusted as needed. Tune up on all the propane appliances. Shocks are probably shot, check the brakes and wheel seals (front). Have your heating system (diesel) gone through and maintained. Have the clearance light lenses replaced they are probably faded. Have your batteries load tested if they are older than 5 yrs consider having them replaced. Replace water filters. Make sure ALL they systems work, AC, Heat pumps, Heater, fans, all power outlets (including the ones in the bays) all lights are working (including the ones in the bays), make sure all awnings are functioning and in good shape. Make sure all gauges are working as designed water, gray water, black water, propane, fuel, and dash, consider getting a Silver Leaf system. Replace all the automatic gray water vent valves they do wear out with time Check for leaks inside, and under the coach. Find the sources of funny smells. All that should set you back $10-12 K. When you get through with all that then you'll be ready for the road with out any worries, until something else breaks. Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #14

I paid $340 each window for the "creepy seal" done by RV glass solutions at Oregon Motorcoach in Eugene. Did good jod.
olyshed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance