RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Major generator issue Country Coach

Hi 2005 cc magna 630 Rembrandt. 12.5 kw Onan

Bought coach about 2 months ago

Long story short

Gen did great until back to 115 degree Vegas heat. Overheating so brought to shop. Serviced genset. Changed radiator, thermostat and temp sensor. Ran good but periodically would shut off and throw frequency codes. Finally would only run when start switch depressed.

Brought to dealer. Shop says rotor and stater shot as coolant was leaking from coolant reservoir on to those components

2300 hours total. I found a place in CA to rebuild both for about 1500. 7 hours to r and r. New is about 2300 for both

My question is does this sound reasonable and is it time to consider new vs repair. My coach has 115 k miles so it痴 been used. I love it and want to use it. The former owner did many upgrades so lots done already like floors, TVs and conversion to all electric

Any thoughts to share ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I could get the generator rebuilt with a decent warranty on the repair for $1,500, I would give that serious consideration. A new one (if you are talking the entire new unit, engine and generator) is probably $11,000 or so.

Can you just purchase a new generator portion and keep the diesel engine? That Kubota diesel should last many, many years.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

Dealer quoting 11,900 plus tax for new one installed.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

I'm having a hard time with this. Are we talking new parts or new gen?
Either way I would never consider a new gen at the price for new or rebuilt parts you are getting. For parts flip a coin.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Mike. I can rebuild rotor and stater for about a 3000 job all in. I can skip and buy new gen for about 13 all in. My question to the group is at 2300 hours it is still a good investment to be putting in thousands to keep her going. I have about 1500 in the radiator and cooling system repairs I did already.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #6

If the generator diesel portion has been maintained well - it should have a long life ahead of it. So I'd go with the the non new generator replacement.

Sure, while it's out and being worked on. Do some preventative part replacements. Thermostat. Flush/clean radiator and new coolant. If your era generator had problems with the temperature sensor, replace that too. And might as well replace the fan belt while things are apart too. (These parts may not need it from a wear viewpoint, but much of the costs associated to replacing them when it is needed - is the labor of getting into the cabinet to do the work. That labor is paid for from what you're doing. So sure suggesting you consider spending more money now on parts, and added labor to swap them out. But, it could save you labor in the future. And when you button everything back up, it's a done deal and you know for sure where you are as far as parts and maintenance.)

(I will note, that I'm more sensitive to this, as our QD8000 is not in a slide. Has to be dropped out of the bottom to do major work. I'm in the decision process now, on if I should go another year on the existing fan belt - or bite the bullet now and have the unit dropped and do much of what I said above, while replacing the fan belt.)

Best of luck to you on this,
Smitty
Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree that the repair is well worth the investment especially if you know it has been well maintained during its life
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

I believe it has been well used and maintained. I知 going forward with the repair. Am I correct in assuming that this is the complete electrical generation portion of the genset and it is a wear item normally due at 4000 or so hours?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
I believe it has been well used and maintained. I知 going forward with the repair. Am I correct in assuming that this is the complete electrical generation portion of the genset and it is a wear item normally due at 4000 or so hours?

Onan has a schedule of what should be serviced on their gensets in the manual. Most of the items are related to the diesel engine. Not sure there is any recommended maintenance for the stator or rotor in the generator portion. Perhaps so but not sure.

As Smitty suggested, if it is out of the coach for major service, replace the water pump belt, temp sensor, and coolant hoses. I would also have the valve lash checked and adjusted on the diesel.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Great advice for sure. Calling dealer now.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #11

The rotor and stator are not the complete electrical portion of the generator. You also have a control board and other items such as a governor. The control board for a QD 8000 which is an inverter generator is $1,800 just for the part (and they do go). I do not believe yours is an inverter generator but I'll bet the board ain't cheap.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #12

Thanks. The board is about 800. Still good.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #13

Good morning. Quick update. I got the stater and rotor rewound. Installed and bench tested. I知 now in Tucson awaiting an appointment with Eric olstrum for a quick once over as he is booked until Jan. The genset does not stay running and is throwing a 36 code. Fuel related. I知 taking it back to dealer that did the work on the genset. Could be totally unrelated to other issues. Hoping is simple filter/pump I値l keep u all posted on outcome.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post

Brought to dealer. Shop says rotor and stater shot as coolant was leaking from coolant reservoir on to those components

Any thoughts to share ?
Rediculous that Cummins/ Onan didn't recall that faulty coolant reservoir tank !
Everywhere they installed a brass nut into the plastic tank, the plastic split!
First repair I had to make after purchasing my coach was sealing this tank. And there's many more than myself!!

Tags
country coach, generator