Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Manifold

I think I've found my exhaust leak...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	122926

Scheduled in to service next Thursday. That and a CAPS fuel pump. RVing is FUN. At least that's what I keep telling myself...
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #2

Dang, sorry about your luck. What motor was this on?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Probably the ISC, but the ISL's also have been known to crack a manifold too!.

I looked for an aftermarket manifold for our ISL, with no luck. Can't recall if I saw them for ISC's or not? If so, paying a bit more for a different alloy higher quality manifold then the two piece unit installed by Cummins, should make this a one time repair. (On some of the bigger block manifolds, they even have polishing of the ports to help pick up a bit more exhaust flow...).

Best to you!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Hi, it's an ISL 370, 2001 vintage with 67000 on it. What chaps me is this was in to Cummins two years ago when they noted "there is an exhaust leak" on the final bill. You'd think they would have seen that and recommended a fix. It's been in storage since so, it had to be the same then.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #5

Ugh. I just lost my CAPS pump last month. Got towed into Southwest Cummins. CAPS Installed $7368.00 . I have the Infamous 8.3L, 350HP from Cummins. Tech says its an excellent Engine??? Yeah when a small component about the size of a small shoebox costs that much?? No wonder Cummins left that Engine!! mine only had 62,000 miles on it.. But was 16 years old. Manifold was two months prior to that it was cracked.. another $2000. Because they have to remove Turbo, blah, blah, blah... Hope I'm done for a while!!
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

Boy do I feel your pain...I'm doing both at the same time and running about the same $$
Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

CC: Yeah. About 1/2 the cost of a new engine! (Before install) But on the positive side, the exhaust leak repair gives a noticeable improvement in power and up hill climbing!! I have Red Stop Engine Light PTSD now!! �� And, make sure they install the heavier Exhaust Manifold! Now recommended by Cummins... Go figure.. Too many of OEM Manifolds have failed. Good Luck..
Old 04-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #8

Thanks. Do you have a part number for that heavy duty one? It goes in today.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #9

I don't. Mine is different engine 8.3L, ISC. I believe you said you have the ISL...I think the OEM replacements have been upgraded. Just make sure they don't put on a new (old stock) manifold. You can tell the difference. The new one is beefier in appearance.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Ugh. I just lost my CAPS pump last month. Got towed into Southwest Cummins. CAPS Installed $7368.00 . I have the Infamous 8.3L, 350HP from Cummins. Tech says its an excellent Engine??? Yeah when a small component about the size of a small shoebox costs that much?? No wonder Cummins left that Engine!! mine only had 62,000 miles on it.. But was 16 years old. Manifold was two months prior to that it was cracked.. another $2000. Because they have to remove Turbo, blah, blah, blah... Hope I'm done for a while!!
i think we have the same engine isc 350. i feel your pain but did you try to contact those smaller shops with skilled cummins techs? when cummins engine fails, most people will go to cummins for repair. as we all know, their labor rate is high and very generous on the hours needed. if you go to individually owned truck repair facilities, they can do the job just as well with a much lower labor rate and hours. 3 years ago, my exhaust manifold cracked. i had a truck shop in escondido ca replace it. less than $1000 parts and labor all included. the engine has been well ever since.

i am saying this just so you know there are chances you might be able to save some money next time if any.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

I didn't on this go-around. When I lost a high pressure fuel line in NM last year I got towed into a truck stop (shop). $600. They say oh, it's a RV. "We don't working RV's!" Had to pay another $750 to get towed into Albequeque cummins. Waited a week for them to get to it. (See other post). A free kin nightmare. Ruined our trip. After that trip I promptly bought a Good Sam (towing) membership! So at least when my Caps pump went out I got a free tow! Yeah in Dallas I do need to find a cheaper option. Just frustrating! sometimes you just want it done RIGHT! Cummins does that! My Coach is pristine, otherwise. And they keep telling me this is a great engine. My last coach (Coachmen, 275 cummins) never an issue in 6 years of RVing? But it was tough going up hills in Co. Would get warm, but it never stranded me! This one has left me on the side of the highway twice!! Lol. But I love RVing, and I like diesels. Next time I'm thinking CAT engine. :(.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i think we have the same engine isc 350. i feel your pain but did you try to contact those smaller shops with skilled cummins techs? when cummins engine fails, most people will go to cummins for repair. as we all know, their labor rate is high and very generous on the hours needed. if you go to individually owned truck repair facilities, they can do the job just as well with a much lower labor rate and hours. 3 years ago, my exhaust manifold cracked. i had a truck shop in escondido ca replace it. less than $1000 parts and labor all included. the engine has been well ever since.

i am saying this just so you know there are chances you might be able to save some money next time if any.
While I agree, and had that thought and option, we have a cross country trip planned and the one thing that Cummins provides on their repairs is a country wide warranty for 1 yr /60K miles on their parts and labor. That's why I am paying the difference this time....
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #13

OK, back from Service. as long as it was going in for "surgery" had routine maintenance done at the same time. The exhaust manifold not only was broke completely in 1/2 at the #3 cylinder, but was also leaking at #4 and 5 ports. CAPS replaced also. Had the coolant double flushed and replaced with an extended OAT. BTW, check your Volvo truck dealer for extended life coolant. here in Idaho, $8.00/gal. Road Choice is mfg. by Volvo and meets all Cummins, Cat and DD specs. also had the Gen done, both with fuel filters/oil filters/oil, etc. Air Dryer cartridge replaced, A/C recharged due to removal of compressor/condenser...

It was not pretty at check out, but I will say, Cummins Rocky Mt. did all they could to contain the costs. Power Boosters Club paid for itself, plus ordering parts as stock and not "special order" ahead of time...

I don't think it's too bad, over the life of the coach, 15 years now, other than routine oil changes, tires etc., this was the only major repair.

Time to hit the road.....well, once I fix the water leak

It just never seems to end with these things....
Old 04-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Driver View Post
OK, back from Service. as long as it was going in for "surgery" had routine maintenance done at the same time. The exhaust manifold not only was broke completely in 1/2 at the #3 cylinder, but was also leaking at #4 and 5 ports. CAPS replaced also. Had the coolant double flushed and replaced with an extended OAT. BTW, check your Volvo truck dealer for extended life coolant. here in Idaho, $8.00/gal. Road Choice is mfg. by Volvo and meets all Cummins, Cat and DD specs. also had the Gen done, both with fuel filters/oil filters/oil, etc. Air Dryer cartridge replaced, A/C recharged due to removal of compressor/condenser...

It was not pretty at check out, but I will say, Cummins Rocky Mt. did all they could to contain the costs. Power Boosters Club paid for itself, plus ordering parts as stock and not "special order" ahead of time...

I don't think it's too bad, over the life of the coach, 15 years now, other than routine oil changes, tires etc., this was the only major repair.

Time to hit the road.....well, once I fix the water leak

It just never seems to end with these things....
it feels great to get everything behind and go out enjoy the rv life
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote