Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #1

May Buy this 96 Intrigue - Anything I Should be Aware of?

Looking at buying this 96 rig with only 86,000 mi on her. Interior and exterior are in really good shape. Some clear-coat problems, found out that will cost around $2k too fix. Pretty good records and some nice upgrades... New inverter, new awning, tv's. Windows all good. Really no complaints! It's not perfect, but no rig is. Looks pretty good, spent most of its time indoors...

We will discuss price soon. I will have it taken too Colton Truck Terminal for them too check out the chassis/engine. Will have mobile RV inspector check the house... Anything in particular I need too watch out for and have checked?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420966801.627063.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	83106

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420966821.643272.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	83107

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420966836.261544.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	83108

Thanks for the help...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Anything made of rubber should be inspected closely. We replaced the chassis bushings last year. You may want to replace the hose from the hydraulic pump if it hasn't been done. Just turn on everything to make sure it works.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Inside parking in its history is good.

On my rig, Clear Coat was applied over Gel Coat, not Base Coat Paint, in the white colored areas.

This is likely the first place that clear coat peeling will occur.

I had the brow repainted using Clear Coat over Base Coat tinted to match 12 years ago. It is still good.

Now I am battling Clear coat releasing from the painted areas. The rig is parked in the year round sun during its life.

Other than the clear coat issue you should find it is a very well made coach and enjoyable to drive.

Age related problems in rubber and electronics will make themselves known but they generally are not due to manufacturing errors.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

Colton Trucks will know to do this, but if its' the 8.3, have them check the manifolds, as some years (not sure which) had a habit of cracking manifolds.

It's a nice looking rig, and if it checks out, and is priced appropriately - should give you years of good service - with ongoing good care.

Best to you!
Smitty
Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Colton Trucks will know to do this, but if its' the 8.3, have them check the manifolds, as some years (not sure which) had a habit of cracking manifolds.

It's a nice looking rig, and if it checks out, and is priced appropriately - should give you years of good service - with ongoing good care.

Best to you!
Smitty

Thanks Smitty and others on info. I forgot to add price. He's asking $34,500 after coming down $2k. It does need clear-coat work and 2 new tires, plus inspections. I'm trying too get it for $30,000. Do you think this is a fair price??
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Thanks Smitty and others on info. I forgot to add price. He's asking $34,500 after coming down $2k. It does need clear-coat work and 2 new tires, plus inspections. I'm trying too get it for $30,000. Do you think this is a fair price??
I think the 34.5 is a fair price. You might ask the seller to spring for the 2 new tires and split the cost of the clear coat repair.

If it was my coach and I really didn't have to sell it, if you offered me 30, I'd roll it back in the garage. It is a nice looking coach. The couches look as they have never been sat in.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

As a frame of reference I purchased this 97 36' Country Coach Intrigue back in November. Two owner, stored indoors all but the last two years of it's life, 58k miles, 720hrs on the genset, all new tires, batteries and a full fluids, filters and belt change. $31.5k. Driver's window has the "window snake" growing, I had to restring two of the day/night blinds and replaced the holding tank control board over the door as it was whacky. Other than those few minor things it is in really nice shape.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

MOT has a pretty nice looking one for 39.5k
1996 Country Coach Intrigue 36' Priced at $ 49500

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #9

Hey Mike I did see this one. Nice but a little too modern for me. Cabinets are stained nice, but look like oak, which I don't care for. I do plan on some interior work if I get this one, cheaper than buying this one here at the dealer 😜
Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I realize older coaches can have some issues that need to be addressed but, boy, those rigs look nice. I've seen a number of CC's from that era and most all of them look great.

We love the space in our 42' four slide Allure but, if I was traveling alone or we get to a point where we would want to downsize a bit and still travel in comfort, I'd take a serious look at late 90's to early 2000's CC.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Hey Mike I did see this one. Nice but a little too modern for me. Cabinets are stained nice, but look like oak, which I don't care for. I do plan on some interior work if I get this one, cheaper than buying this one here at the dealer ��
Was just throwing it out there. I really don't care for oak either. I just picked up this one late this past summer. New tires,batteries,windows,granite,carpet with 65,000 miles.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Was just throwing it out there. I really don't care for oak either. I just picked up this one late this past summer. New tires,batteries,windows,granite,carpet with 65,000 miles.

That is one beautiful rig! 👍😜 Found one of these Magna's locally for a good price. Sent owner an email within 12hrs but he'd already sold it 😡 Man that sucked...😜
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

Check and see if it has an aluminum radiator. Because it will go out on you if it has not been replaced.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #14

Thumbs up

I have owned a 96 Intrigue since 99 and now have some 140,000 miles of experience with repairs, systems and needed maintenance. Too much info to post here but if your still considering this unit, you can email me at mikemail@ bellsouth.net with a contact number and I'll call you and go over it in detail. Bottom line, excellent build, very comfortable, economical, dependable, good repair history.