Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
TR4

Muffler Replacement

I've been reading posts by Smitty and bneukam on their Aero muffler replacement and how Brazel's said they're supposed to lower EGT. When I first purchased my Intrigue I found it had a ton of power. I could pull my toad over the Sierras on Hwy 80 at the speed limit. Downsift and pedal to the metal.

Then I read a post by Smitty. He said he installed a Pyrometer, and it changed his driving habits by watching his EGTs. I figured if Smitty did it, it had to be a good upgrade. Well after my Pyrometer install, it was no longer pedal to the metal. I found my EGT would easily climb over 1300 deg. under full throttle. Now I see why so many people are replacing exhaust manifolds.

So, if I can lower my EGT, I'll have more power to climb those grades without a meltdown.

Here's my existing muffler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	159530

Exhaust enters from the bottom left into the first chamber. It then travels through a 4" hole into the second chamber. It then travels through the small holes in the pipe (lower right) and out to the right. Looks like a lot of restriction.

Here's a resonator other people have used.

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	159531

A 5" hole, not much restriction here.

Here's a side by side.

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	159532

After install.

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	159533

All parts were under $170-, so if I don't like it I'll try something else. After start up it's not much louder than the old Donaldson muffler, but the lower base sound is more pronounced. I'll be able to test it out on our trip in June. I'm hopeful the EGTs will come down without a lot of drone.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #2

Bill,
Looks good. I actually like the sound better now that I have the AERO exhaust. I find myself wanting to give her a little more juice when I am driving along a metal building

I agree that the stock muffler is restrictive, and yours actually looks a lot better than mine did. Mine had quite a bit of soot buildup. Probably if I would have done the install quicker I may not have this exhaust manifold exchange on my to do list.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Hope that you are happy with the sound. Must have been a trucker in your last life!!
How much increase in exhaust sound from the outside?
Turbos and DPF's cut a lot of exh. sound to start with.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Community Moderator

i remember i read somewhere that some cut the muffler off and installed a straight pipe...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Bill,
Looks good. I actually like the sound better now that I have the AERO exhaust. I find myself wanting to give her a little more juice when I am driving along a metal building

I agree that the stock muffler is restrictive, and yours actually looks a lot better than mine did. Mine had quite a bit of soot buildup. Probably if I would have done the install quicker I may not have this exhaust manifold exchange on my to do list.
Brett
Brett,
I've always wanted to change out the old restrictive muffler, but finding one that would fit the stock location and coming out of the existing hole on the side was a problem. When I saw the picture of your install, it started me thinking. I've got to stop reading your threads, it's costing me money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Hope that you are happy with the sound. Must have been a trucker in your last life!!
Unplanned,
Not a trucker, but when I was twenty, my second car was a 1969 Z/28 RS, I used to build motors on the side.
On the outside it's not much louder, but standing next to the exhaust it "feels" more intense. On the inside I can't tell the difference. Now, I'll have to report back after I've taken it for a spin. Your right, the turbo and the two 90s also cut down on the noise.

Bill
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Bill - Cool beans!! And thanks for sharing the specifics and the pictures, well sorted out.

And it amazes me the many variations that the ISB/ISC/ISL's flow thru in RV's. Flow thru from intake all the way to exhaust tip. I've seen some coaches where you wonder how the dang runs at all. With intake piping choke points as low as 2 1/2" diameters, undersized air cartridges/filters on another. Etc., etc.. All trades off's in overall chassis/coach design. IMO 90%+ of the time, it is the coach manufactures/designers that determine actual intake and exhaust plumbing - working around the design of the coach. Some do a better job then others at staying within the guidelines of Cummins. (I left the big block engines out on purpose, as most of those that I looked into at time of purchase search, seemed to have good plumbing.)

Look forward to your next few months of usage report. Power, MPG(Maybe!) and especially EGT... (A seasoned diesel mechanic (Read that as OLD, and 55 years plus as a mechanic, still working when he wants to. And yes, I'll tell him I called him OLD! Once told me that the easier the exhaust system breathes, the easier it is for many things to take place. Turbo's spool faster, heat escapes/exits the engine faster, etc., etc. So good chance your EGT's will be a bit lower. Of course, you foot on the pedal, and a few thousand miles, will determine if this is so from your modification.)

Tavel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

So, once again you have peaked my interest. So it looks like you are saying that this Areo Muffler is the way to go. What is a pyrometer (I will google it) where does it go? Would this something OMC could do or could you recommend someone else?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #8

Wally - Other's will jump in on this I'm sure. But here is my $.02!

-EGT's have a thermocouple installed in the Exhaust Manifold. Mine was drilled/tapped/and installed in #3. I think they're good investment, as they complement the rest of your gauges. EGT can really rise when trying to pull a hill, and water temp an even intake manifold temps (Our 04 Silverleaf has a intake manifold temp.) leg way behind the hot side of the engine. Exhaust Temps running for too long a periods over 1300F - can cause problems... EGT gauge on your dash, will reflect the current EGT level. Then you can either drop a gear, pull you foot out of the pedal some, or both.

On Edit: I find that there is very little that OMC does not have the talent to do... But a quick call or email to Jim will confirm this!

-I'm not familiar with the back end breathing side of your year coach and model. If CC installed a path from the Exhaust Manifold back to and thru the muffler without any 'choking' constraint points. (from 4" down to a 2 1/2 - 3" elbows turn is common for many non CC coaches - then changing of your back end exhaust path plumbing can pay dividends.

However if you have good back end breathing all ready, not much gain in going to a new muffler, even a Aero Turbine.

What Bill just did, is one step beyond what a Aero Turbine would be - as it reduces the back end pressure that a muffler introduces. Which in most engines allows them to breath easier, and can make a different in turbo spooling. You have a VGT, which is a higher boosting a turbo then my era CAPS - so the benefit of less back end pressure may even be more pronounced on your engine(?).

(My muffler had been damaged, so I shifted over to Aero Turbine for that primary reason... The sale price was a nice benefit too... )

Will follow this thread to see other's thoughts on your era engine and model, as far as improving back end breathing!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
A friend installed a Aero Turbo muffler on his Monaco ISC. First thing I thought is boy is that thing loud. Decided it was the frequency that was raised. Our current mufflers have a very low pitch so it sounds quieter that the Areo. The db level might be the same but the frequency makes you think the Aero is louder. As for me, I will not install an Aero.

This coming from an old Navy sonar tech
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
So, once again you have peaked my interest. So it looks like you are saying that this Areo Muffler is the way to go. What is a pyrometer (I will google it) where does it go? Would this something OMC could do or could you recommend someone else?
Hi Wally,

A lot of people are using the Aero muffler and have been very happy with them. I haven't seen many posts on the Walker resonator, so I thought I'd give it a try. I figured the muffler replacement was something I could do, and the cost was low enough that if I wasn't happy I could try something else.

Also, Smitty is the man with all the answers. I let him do all the research, try it on his coach, and if it doesn't blow up, I'm willing to try it.

Here's the resonator;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-21835/overview/

Bill
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
A friend installed a Aero Turbo muffler on his Monaco ISC. First thing I thought is boy is that thing loud. Decided it was the frequency that was raised. Our current mufflers have a very low pitch so it sounds quieter that the Areo. The db level might be the same but the frequency makes you think the Aero is louder. As for me, I will not install an Aero.

This coming from an old Navy sonar tech
Don,

My first impression was the opposite of yours. I found the the the frequency seemed lower. I felt it more in my chest and could hear the turbo more. Now this is while running it in storage and not on the road. It will be interesting to see how it sounds climbing a six percent grade.

Bill
Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

This looks like something I plan too research and ultimately replace our existing muffler with.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
The sound of the AERO exhaust is not much different at idle, or a little above, if your concerned about noise level when pulling in or out of a campground.

Inside the coach the noise level is not any different. The only two times I notice a difference while driving is with the drivers window open, or cruising right next to a concrete barrier.

From what I've read, the walker resonator that TR4 installed is a sound controller, for those running a straight pipe. The AERO with its design is actually pulling the exhaust out, therefore giving more of a higher frequency that Don is talking about.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Going to have a sit down talk with my Cummins buddy and discuss exhausts.

His latest project was to put a Cummins 5.9 in a 1967 Ford pickup. The owner likes the truck and has a lot of money so why not?

Tags
ace, replace, replacement