Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #1

My coach has hurricane hydronic heat

I bought this 40 ft Intrigue Country Coach . IT has a Hurricane Hydronic heat system. I have not ran it yet. I gather that it is deisel powered and that it connects with the cummins engine and hot water heater. The coach did not have a vender manual on this. Where can i get one? If this is all connected i guess its all protected with engine antifreeze? Can i just tirn this on and see if it works? It has about 4 heaters and goes tru plumbing bays and galley slide . THanks for any help Benchrest

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Get your model number off the unit and you can get manuals here: Hurricane Heater Support and Resources
You will need more than 1/4 tank of fuel, as this is per design to keep from stranding yourself. Do you have a standard Atwood or Suburban water heater? If so the hurricane probably only does heating of the coach.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

surge tank locaton

The system does go tru the domestic hot water tank. I talked with the Hurricane people and they said that there should be a expansion tank and over full bottle. I looked everywhere and can,t find it. Help where do i look? 2000 country coach Intrigue. thanks benchrest
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

Up and running

Got hold of a fine gentleman at www.itrheat.com Marcello Velenosi. He told me that Hurricane heater was tied in with the coach engine coolant.I fired it up and everything checked out fine. Thanks Benchrest
Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

we have the same system

We have the same system as you. We bought the coach about 10 months ago. The previous owner hardly used it. It had 26 hours on it. Frankly ours has been a PITA. I just had to have another air leak into the fuel line patched. I had to have a new diesel fuel line put on six months ago. That said when it works it is a GREAT system.

So try yours out to see if it works. Ours gives us pretty much ulimited hot water for showers. A great heating system for the coach. The previous owner used the heat pumps to heat the coach. By far the Hurricane is a better heating system than heat pumps.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

fuel use per hr

I am wondering how much diesel fuel this unit uses per hr? Also can it be operated while traveling down the highway during cold weather? Thanks Benchrest
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchrest View Post
I am wondering how much diesel fuel this unit uses per hr? Also can it be operated while traveling down the highway during cold weather? Thanks Benchrest
Fuel usage depends on what unit you have. The C045 is a 45,000 btu unit and burns 3/10 gal per hour. (that is running hour) The C065 is a 65,000 btu unit and it burns .45 gal per hour. I am pretty sure you have the C045 unit. To verify, look on the equipment sheet which might be on the inside of the medicine cabinet.

You do not have to run the Hurricane to get heat out of it while driving. Remember that the coolant is in the same loop as the engine coolant. With a hot engine it is possible to turn on the thermostat and the interior heat exchangers switch and get interior heat. I do it all the time. You also have to turn on the fans for the heat registers.

The water heater gets its over the road heat from the engine, known as motor aid, not the Hurricane. Running the Hurricane will not give you hot water.

There is also a check valve down under that keeps the Hurricane from heating the engine while at rest. That way you will not be heating 2500 pounds of iron when you don't need to.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #8

how do i flush out hurricane lines?

When doing a antifreeze flush of my cummins 350 8.3 engine how do i get all fluid out of heater and hurricane system lines? Also need to be sure to get all air out when refilling the system The Cummuns engine and the Hurricane heater uses the same coolant. Thanks benchrest 2000 country coach intrigue.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

You have to keep draining and flushing until it is all out of the system. It would be best to remove the engine thermostat while doing this.

Or you could remove a hose at the pump by the heater and use the pump to push water through the heater system. By using distilled water, you will not have to do a second flush.

When refilling with coolant, the system will self purge so make sure there is enough coolant in the engine reservoir.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

I have a comfort hot heater on my 02 magna how do I get it to work?