Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Need Wheel Stud for 8.25 Alcoa Wheel

So Les Schwab found a bad inner wheel stud on my rear axle.

According to Gillig Bus, the manufacturer, it was a Meritor 20x1977, now discontinued.

I have found a cross reference to a Euclid E-5924-L wheel stud, and Schwab is also searching, so far vainly, for the replacement.

Does anyone have any source or knowledge that would be helpful in this search?

I will call Country Coach on Monday for help.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Call around to fleet garages that maintain transit and school busses as the axle must be somewhat common.

With gillig a ca company their product is all over the place in ca so should not be too tough.

Axle type may help too.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Might try Fleet Pride on of the biggest truck supply dealers with over 250 locations.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Google just the part number?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Yes, using Google, I found the crossover Euclid E-5947-L. Unfortunately, I cannot be assured to get it quickly enough via shipping to meet a trip departure deadline during the Christmas rush.

Les Schwab is supposed to be sourcing the part, but I am getting nervous.

I will check with Fleet Pride in West Sacramento on Monday.

Since I do not have the stud, Les Schwab does, I cannot carry it to the parts stores, but I do have a picture from a catalog.

Thanks for the replies. All are helpful.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Just a thought, I would take the bad stud to my local machine shop and have them make me one. My kid is a machinist and there is almost nothing he can't make if he has a sample.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:17 AM   #7

Dean did you have any luck getting studs?

I replaced 2 on the LF of my coach. I obtained Euclid studs and they were fairly easy to replace.

I walked in with a bad stud and was back out of the heavy duty driveline service co, Potter-Webster, Longview, WA - Portland and Albany OR, ten minutes or less so they should be a common item and there must be several heavy duty truck supply stores in your area.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #8

OP Here.

Les Schwab Tire in Orangevale, Ca continued the search and found the replacement studs on Monday by matching the old with possible candidates. The new studs did not match the cross referencing from the Gillig Parts department to the parts shops. These were slightly longer and a different shape.

The studs were installed yesterday by LS Tire and all is well. They bought two additional studs and nuts for each side at my instruction and so now I carry spares.

I have always had quality after sale service from Les Scwab Tire. This time was no exception. They spent quite a bit of time sourcing the studs and then another hour installing the studs as part of the original sale price.

Because it was an inner wheel stud issue, I had the opportunity to look at my rear brake pads with the drums off. After 98,000 miles they look very good.

Again thanks to all for the helpful assists. Matching the old stud with the replacement was the only way to resolve this problem.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote