Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New coach, am I crazy??

We may sell our lake house sooner than I had expected so I have been pondering, just pondering selling the Allure and getting a new DP. Just half crazy I guess. DW sure thinks I am.

However, absolutely nothing I see trips my switch. Based on what I would get for the house and throwing a few extra bucks at the deal would get me into a new Dutch Star or Anthem (only two brands I would consider at this juncture). But, the new coaches seem to have so much fu fu. They look nice and more 'modern' inside, but they don't seem to have the quality of build I have come to appreciate in my CC. I keep telling myself I can just head out to Oregon again and get most any upgrade I would want to the Allure and just keep truckin'. At this point, about the only upgrade needed is replacing the small amount of carpet in the coach with new carpet and getting the roof radius repainted/clear coated (I've got some fading in spots, clear coat is just about gone in areas).

So, fellow CC owners.... tell me I am crazy to even think of letting the Allure go for one of the new 'box on a truck frame' coaches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
We all have one single life to live end if buying a new coach makes both of you happier, why not, go ahead and enjoy life at its best.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Keep the one you have if you like it and it does the job. Do the upgrades and spend the extra money on more trips.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We may sell our lake house sooner than I had expected so I have been pondering, just pondering selling the Allure and getting a new DP. Just half crazy I guess. DW sure thinks I am.

However, absolutely nothing I see trips my switch.
You will probably enjoy the more modern conveniences of a new MH, but you need to balance that against the possibility of having to chase down a bunch of post-construction problems. Also, would there be a benefit to changing the size of what you currently have, going larger or smaller, being a real reason to buy a new one. My feeling is if it doesn't grab you, you're going to regret buying it when the first problem arises.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's very simple. If your layout serves your needs, and your coach is in relative good running order, keep it. The amount of depreciation of a new coach in one year will more than pay for some minor upgrades with plenty of $$$ left over. Additionally, you will save the 2 years of extermination fees. (Getting all the bugs out) I keep struggling with the same issue. New is nice, but not worth the price! Unless your wants outweigh your needs, and money is no issue.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I have looked at other coaches and nothing floats my boat. Lots of fluff and glitter but no real substance.

Remember, beauty is only skin deep.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

If you want to upgrade, why not go for a later model Magna or Affinity? The quality will be as good as the Allure, and much higher than the Dutch Stars and Aspire/Anthems. Just don't make the mistake we did to take a Prevost for a ride, there is no comparison!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

I mentioned in a thread where Peralko announced he was moving his Affinity, and is looking at Prevost conversions, that I too had been browsing the Prevost User Group forums. And yes, I'm for sure am crazy - lets get that out of the way right now!

We too are very happy with our current Allure, and have spent about $35-35K on upgrades. And yes still have either new carpet or wood floor or combination of both. And one more cabinet to do in the kitchen. And, I'm pretty sure we'll have the dark maroon color paints changed over to a light color brown and tan to complement the rest of our color scheme. And if that does not help on the cooling in extreme heats, add a third 15k BTU AC on top too. But, we like our coach. Sure, I'd have liked a bigger block engine then our ISL370 now ISL400 CAPS engine, but it gets the job done.

So I figure we have another $15-20K to put into a rig that we hope to use for 10+ years of several months a year traveling. No way does it ever pencil out, and I feel fortunate that we bought into the coach when the full industry prices were way down. As mentioned many times on many boards, it's not about ever recapturing the costs on these coaches, and on the personal things we do to them to make them are 'rolling homes'. It truly is the return on investment by the enjoyment of using them.

So, looking at 40' XL based Prevost conversions. Two slides, and I so far really like the Marathon based units the most. And even the later two sided CC based Prevost's too. Key word here is 'looking', and yes, the DW not only thinks it, but swears I'm crazy.

Why look? Well, we can afford it. We have to San Diego homes, that we're retaining only for family member reasons, and one of them we'll most likely sale within the next three years. And, the Prevost quality is that much of an improvement over the level of CC that I'm in, and the bigger engine, and the even improved handling (Have never driven one, so I would want the seat of the pants proof that it is that much better of a ride.). All of these, make me really want to think about what I'm doing - before spending another large hunk of funds to keep changing our Allure to make it what we want. Yep, good chance that used Prevost's based coaches will also require some changes to our likes, but, even more of a foundation to do so with. The downside, is even as expensive as it is to maintain our CC's, no question that the Prevost based RV's will be more expensive to maintain. Maybe not on normal maintenance items, like LOF, but the other items are so proprietary, that you pay the price to obtain this level of coach.

So what? Who cares of what Smitty kicks around from time to time? If you really like to RV. And, if you really look closely at your finances and feel you both will not be at risk (including an exit plan) financially, by moving into a different rig - why not go for it?

Me personally, I'd rather have a higher end CC, Foretravel, or even a bit older Prevost based conversion or even a Newell - then any new coach that I see today. Not knocking the other brands, but Don and Peralko nailed it - they're just not in the same league.

Best to you, and congrats on having this 'problem' to mull over!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We likely won't do anything. I do love the look of the Magna's and I could be enticed into one of those. But, considering we have upgraded our TV's, added the Traveler Sat Dish, new sofas, I could easily cover the cost of new carpet and similar upgrades for far less than the depreciation on any new coach. I would love to have a few more horses in the back (who wouldn't?) but, as noted by Smitty, the ISL gets us there just fine.

My wife is having some back surgery next week that will keep us from traveling for at least 3 - 4 months so maybe now is a good time to find someone who can do the carpet and maybe the roof radius.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #10

I think the correct answer to your questions is "More Money than Brains"
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Everyone has opinions and here is mine. It doesn't make sense to me to take the proceeds from an appreciating asset and put it all into a depreciating asset. With any luck we will all live long enough that traveling about the country will become too much. At some point you will need an exit plan. Putting the house proceeds into some type of appreciating investment is an important part of that plan.
Then there is always the unexpected.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Everyone has opinions and here is mine. It doesn't make sense to me to take the proceeds from an appreciating asset and put it all into a depreciating asset. With any luck we will all live long enough that traveling about the country will become too much. At some point you will need an exit plan. Putting the house proceeds into some type of appreciating investment is an important part of that plan.
Then there is always the unexpected.
Agree if that was the case. We have fortunately been blessed with a good retirement income and a good 'nest egg'. Lake house is second home and using proceeds will not put us in jeopardy. If I don't spend it before I die, my heirs will spend it for me.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely we will do anything but continue to enjoy and upgrade our current coach.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #13

My advise is to do whatever you want. There is no right answer since its different for everyone. We upgraded from an 05 inspire to an 08 magna a few years ago and have no regrets. The magna does have more fufu but it just comes that way. We had fun in the inspire and it was an excellent motorhome its just that I wanted a more technical rig that could be considered our last rig. I am not interested in any other brand and the current country coach inventory just gets older so I figured I would jump when the right rig came up and it did. Have fun looking.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, as a lot of you know we just got our Magna in Feb. Had we known about the DW's cancer we would have skipped it! You just never know what life is going to hand you.
We had the money, we had the income so we bought what I wanted but certainly not what the DW wanted!
Do what makes you happy and don't sweat it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote