Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 AM   #1

New Country Coach Owner - 1997 Intrigue

Hello everyone!!

I purchased a 97 Intrigue at auction back in November 2015. I got an amazing deal on it but had to put a few bucks in to to get it road worthy as it had been sitting for 9 years in storage!!!! After servicing the engine and trans, fixing an air leak in the suspension, rebuilding the battery tray, dropping and flushing the fuel tank, and buying new tires and new batteries I was able to get it to the house.

During the time in the shop I have been checking out all the information I could about the coach online. I own a 30 foot toy hauler but never owned a motorhome before so I new I needed more info on it. This site forum has been amazing! There are so many helpful people on here and I hope to get to know you more and maybe down the road I can help you guys with a few things.

I have had it at the house for a few weeks now and have been tackling as many issues as I can each day as well as just going through the checks on various systems and learning the ins-and-outs of the new coach.

So far I have replaced the house water pump, kitchen, bath and outdoor faucets and check the water system for proper operation as well as the water heater. I have also flushed the system and sanitized it.

Water system. - Check OK.
Water heater. - Check OK.

Fridge and freezer - Check OK. Ice maker doesn't seem to work.
A/C and heat pumps. - Check OK.
Propane heater. - Check OK.
Microwave/convection oven. - Check OK.
Stove top. - Check OK.
Interior Lighting. - Most work. Have supplies to do LED Modification to Fluorescent light.
Entry step operation was full of dirt. Cleared out and lubed. - Works great.

Generator Tune-up 525hrs currently - Power Tech CD7000 Diesel
New oil and filter
New fuel filters and fuel pump
New air filter and intake tube

Purchased but need to install on generator
Fan belt
Fuel line
Radiator hoses
Thermostat
Coolant flush
New coolant

Tried to get generator to start yesterday now that I had replaced the fuel pump but it would only crank over and not start. Im going to look a the fuel solenoid. I think since it has been sitting so long that it may be stuck. Hopefully I can work it out a little bit and it will be fine. If not, a replacement is around 200 bucks. Hopefully that will fix it though.

-Still need to tackle-

Fix slow leak from cooling fan hydraulic pump
Check PTO splines and install wet kit

Replace dash heat/AC fan (over the road as they say) Failed on the way to the house. Not sure where that is located or what the part number is though.

Replace exterior light bulbs

Fix small air leak in front of coach somewhere
Replace rooftop ac covers
Replace both dump valves (rather do it now when it is empty)
replace wiper blades, washer fluid bottle and washer fluid hoses to blade arms
Black and grey tank vents on roof
A few hydraulic lifts for storage doors
Shower faucet, hose, and shower head

Most of the items I have already just need the time to get to them. If you think of anything else I may have missed or any other pointers that would be great!!

Jason
Jason17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:30 AM   #2

Welcome. Sounds like you have been busy and coming close where you can get out and enjoy yourself. Keep us posted and let us know how your first shakedown trip goes. That's a really nice coach.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #3

Thank you. My goal is to have it ready by the 17th of this month. We have a trip planned and it would be great to be able to take this out. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Jason
Old 02-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #4

1997 Intrigue Brochure In Case Someone Wants It

1997 Intrigue Brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997_Intrigue Brochure.pdf (2.71 MB, 300 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Silly question on genny.

Did you bleed the fuel line?

Ours had cracked line between tank and genny so it sucked air.

Could not get to fitting on tank but replaced what we could and fixed it.

The fuel line is very long which would require a lot of starter cranking.

Should be a bleed port on it someplace and also an electric fuel pump that you can use a jumper wire to activate or a push pump.

Not sure how yours is set up, ours has electric.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Community Moderator

about the pto.
are you sure it was installed on a 97? check tranny if you see a box installed on its side.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Silly question on genny.

Should be a bleed port on it someplace and also an electric fuel pump that you can use a jumper wire to activate or a push pump.

After I replaced the 12v pump I ran it for a while with the prime to make sure it filled the new fuel filter. I can even hear the fuel drain back into the tank. I do need to change the fuel lines and I have them, just need to get in there and do it. Not looking forward to be jammed in that tight space.

Jason
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
about the pto.
are you sure it was installed on a 97? check tranny if you see a box installed on its side.
I crawled under there after reading so many posts on here about it. I took a few pictures of it as well.

Jason
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PTO Without Wet Kit.pdf (2.29 MB, 120 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

Here is my 98 with the kit

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason17 View Post
I crawled under there after reading so many posts on here about it. I took a few pictures of it as well.

Jason
yes that is the pto. i heard most of them on 05-08, typically failing in between 15-30kmi. now i know i didn't know what i didn't know

here is a list for known failed dry pto PTO FAILURE LOG. notice the last one catastrophic failure.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
yes that is the pto. i heard most of them on 05-08, typically failing in between 15-30kmi. now i know i didn't know what i didn't know

here is a list for known failed dry pto PTO FAILURE LOG. notice the last one catastrophic failure.
I was surprised to see it in there as well since I had only read that the PTO was in the newer models. The coach has 35k miles on it now so I need to get the wet kit installed soon.

Jason
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #12

Jason,

You don't necessarily need a PTO driven pump lube kit if you are on a time line or tight budget. You can unbolt the two bolts that hold the pump to the PTO, slide the pump back after breaking loose the suction line of the pump, and checking the splines from there.
My '97 Intrigue with 17,000 miles had dry and rusty splines and I cleaned them off and slathered the shaft and splined hole with high pressure grease than bolted it back together. I will check it in 5,000 miles and access the condition.
Our respective pumps are a different model number than the problematic pumps but they sure look the same.

Any questions about '97 Intrigues feel free to send me a PM OK?

Bruce

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Jason,

You don't necessarily need a PTO driven pump lube kit if you are on a time line or tight budget. You can unbolt the two bolts that hold the pump to the PTO, slide the pump back after breaking loose the suction line of the pump, and checking the splines from there.
My '97 Intrigue with 17,000 miles had dry and rusty splines and I cleaned them off and slathered the shaft and splined hole with high pressure grease than bolted it back together. I will check it in 5,000 miles and access the condition.
Our respective pumps are a different model number than the problematic pumps but they sure look the same.

Any questions about '97 Intrigues feel free to send me a PM OK?

Bruce
Bruce,

That was my plan. I have now gotten all systems to a point were I can at least take it out for a few days and use it. I think my next big project before using it on the 17th is to grease the PTO. Do you happen to know what grease you used? I have bearing grease (red stuff) at the house. Would that do the trick? I will send you a PM as well.

Jason
Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Silly question on genny.

Turns out it was a bad fuel supply line after all. I thought I was hearing fuel being pumped through the system and drain back in the tank. What I was actually hearing is fuel being partially sucked up the supply fuel line but draining back in the tank rather than pumped to the engine. I pulled the fuel line off of the pump and blew in it to see if I could hear bubbles in the fuel tank - no bubbles. Ran the new supply line and the generator cranked right up. Hard to believe it ran so well after sitting for 9 years!! Glad to have this task off my plate. Now I just need to finish the full service on it.

Jason