Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
New here; Prevost XL, H3 or Country Coach Affinity, Magna

Hi I am new here and have a few questions.

Lets say the price point is 3-400k why a country coach, monaco etc. over a prevost xl, h3 45, vantare bus or vice versa?

Why do the buses all seem to have detroit diesel power and coaches ie monaco, country coach etc. have either cummins or cat power?

Are operating costs similar?

Are the buses built better and do they last longer?

We have been looking for a while at coaches went to some dealers in san diego (where we live), and local motorhome sales/shows. we have been wanting to home school our young son and full time travel north america for a couple years. We really liked an airstream sky deck because it seemed to give you that extra area above. There was one for sale here and we looked it over but we were not ready to buy at that time. But I've heard good things about Country Coach and have been trying to get as much info from the web as possible. Been looking at 40-45 length. More recently I was able to see a friends country coach prevost bus that he had bought new and was selling in the $160k range it was older and no slides with DD power. That is what got me thinking about what you guys may think about the pros and cons of bus versus coach. Thanks in advance

flyn-hawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
DD power

I recently retired from Detroit Diesel and I think you will find that all late model Prevost have the series 60 engine. Prior to the Series 60 engine they used the 8V92. The 8V92 was a two stroke unlike the Series 60 which is a four stroke like Cummins and Cat. If I were going to purchase a Prevost I would purchase one with the Series 60 with a 1999 or newer engine only.

The series 60 is a very stout and reliable engine but is a tad on the heavy side and you would probably only see it in a tag axle application.

We have an '04 CC Inspire with the Cummins ISC 350 HP and it does a good job getting all 32000 pounds up the mountains. Not the fastest way up but we'll get there.

IMHO if we were to buy another diesel pusher I would make sure the engine was equipped with an internal engine brake (Jake Brake) as the exhaust brake is not that effective coming down long grades out here in the west.

Have fun looking.

chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
IMHO, bus shells are built much stronger than MH shells. The chassis and drive train of buses are also most stout and provide a comfortable ride. It appears the external storage is more ample in a bus chassis.

If I were to plan on living in a rig, I would chose a MH due to the more useful interior storage and galley features. The chassis and materials in a Magna and Affinity are upscale but usually more suitable for occupant's comfort and daily routine.

Many of the interiors of a Prevost conversion are for showy decor and eating meals at the restaurants and less comfortable for a home environment.

Both choices provide excellent rigs for travel or long term stays. Pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

As I said, just my opinion.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Dave, Can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Monaco Signature, Executive, and Holiday Rambler Navigator offered a Detroit Series 60 engine option starting in 2003 through 2007.

I would suggest you consider looking a Newell Motor Coaches. They are supposed to be the finest RV built.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the group. Man what a loaded question. I've driven every kind of diesel made at one time or another, being a retired truck driver. I must say, all of them have their good points and bad, mostly good. Cummings most of the time seem to be a little better on fuel IMO. But Detroit Series 60 and Cats are strong engines but a little hard on diesel. The Bus stye coaches ride and dive some what better than a standard MH. But cost more and cost more when you need work done, tires etc. Make sure you are willing to pay for the upkeep of a bus. Buut any that you mentioned would be a good choice IMO!
2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet Bob Lee Edition-Saturn Aura-Tow
Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Definitely check out Newell's. Have a buddy w/a 45 that has the steering tag (probably not depreciated to within your price range just yet) and his turning radius is smaller than mine!!
Newell has customer support second to none.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Definitely check out Newell's. Have a buddy w/a 45 that has the steering tag (probably not depreciated to within your price range just yet) and his turning radius is smaller than mine!!
Newell has customer support second to none.
Especially with a family living on board! I'd strongly suggest looking at a Newell that offers a Murphy bed for the rear bedroom. At night it's just like a regular bedroom, but during the day it's a whole separate family/living room...there will be time when the kids need a different place from the adults (and visa versa).

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Hello all, Just wanted to post again and let you know that I really appreciate all the positive input and sharing. I have spoke with a few more people locally and most have said something similar to Drafter in as much that the buses are great but they are much more expensive for maintenance of the operating systems. I have looked at a couple more buses and coaches and it seems that the buses are very "glitzy" and seem more like something for entertaining. Where as the coaches seem more down to earth and functional. As for power several people have said the Cummins or Cat would probably be better suited for my intended use. As for Newel, l have heard of them but have not done any research, but I will start now and thanks for the tip!
I would like to say thanks again to everyone and this is a GREAT site
flyn-hawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
To give you more information about Newells, here are two great sites.

This is the owner formum www.newellclassic.com They are a great group of people!
Here's the manufacturer's site Newell Coach - Take the good life with you

Good luck!

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Dean gave a short but very accurate answer. Just MHO. We recently lived in our Affinity 42' for two months and 5,500 miles. Very comfortable. All systems in a Country Coach are well made and durable. My wife and I agree on the glitz in buses. Every time we look at a Newell they seem "Vegas" to me. Not that they are not well made, but more of a party bus.

We are in San Diego too. If Steve Wilson still works at Holland San Diego give him a call. He will do a professional job of advising you on the right coach.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Gulf Streamers Club
Lots of talk latley on this forum about the Entegra Anthem and or Cornerstone, info can found on The Jayco site on this forum or Entegra 2013 home Page. Anthem in the 310 range and Cornerstone around 400 for new 2013 models after discounts before tax ,www.entegracoach.com/
Bob, Julie and Izzy (Usually on all 4)
2008 Gulfstream Gladiator, Super C Toyhauler
2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ / Readybrake.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Gee this is fun, pretend spending of other's funds - and to the OP, nice budget range to be working with...

Lots of good input, and yes I own a CC too... Respect many of the coaches mentioned in this thread... Let me toss two more into the mix, for the OP to consider:

> Foretravel - I'd actually consider and older version in the $350K range, then take it back into Foretravel and have them make the inside what you want... Still be within budget.

> Wanderlodges also have some very nice high end rigs. Never hurts to look.

Best of luck on your search, have fun,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote