Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #15

I live in central Iowa and know about Winnebago. Unless they really do follow the CC build spec's they will cheapen the product. We were in Tampa two years ago and looked at all the high end coaches - including Winnebago. Sorry folks, but compared to my old 04 Intrigue they were cheap even at + $300K. SO -- I hope they do as the letter indicated because I would consider purchasing an new quality Country Coach - but for me the jury will be out until I see what really happens. That said - I really hope it works out!

gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
I live in central Iowa and know about Winnebago. Unless they really do follow the CC build spec's they will cheapen the product. We were in Tampa two years ago and looked at all the high end coaches - including Winnebago. Sorry folks, but compared to my old 04 Intrigue they were cheap even at + $300K. SO -- I hope they do as the letter indicated because I would consider purchasing an new quality Country Coach - but for me the jury will be out until I see what really happens. That said - I really hope it works out!
It has been suggested by some that Winnebago might do like Jayco and have a separate division like Entegra, with CC being in the family but at a much higher level of build. That scheme seems to have worked well for Jayco as Entegra has expanded their production facilities in Middlebury.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
It has been suggested by some that Winnebago might do like Jayco and have a separate division like Entegra, with CC being in the family but at a much higher level of build. That scheme seems to have worked well for Jayco as Entegra has expanded their production facilities in Middlebury.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. While the Tour is a very nice coach let's face it, when a high end buyer starts thinking it's time for a new coach, Winnebago probably doesn't come to mind. If they somewhat follow the Jayco/Entegra model, keep the brands, designs, engineering and marketing separate, there's no reason they couldn't be just as successful.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #18

Sort of the Toyota to Lexus or Honda to Acura or Nissan to Infinity. This companies that truly separate the operations and establish different levels of expectations on design, materials and quality criteria - building the top down culture to raise the bar of the higher line, usually are rewarded via higher sales and thus profits.

And by no means is this intended to be a slight to Toyota, Honda, Nissan or Winnebago - they are living at different price points, and all do well within those price points.

Go CC, and do well Winnebago!! And CC owners, be patient, this is going to take sometime to get up and rolling!!
Smitty
Old 12-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #19

The past is the past and you can"t go home again. I am not sure there is a volume market for high end coaches now like there was 2000-2006. In that time period the high end market supported Alpine, Travel Supreme, Country Coach, Monaco, American Coach, Foretravel, Beaver, and Wanderlodge all at the same time. And car companies could not build enough huge SUVs. Plus Motorhome magazine was triple the thickness it is today.

Now you have a lot of big people meeting in Europe trying to basically eliminate carbon based fuel and predicting doom if we do not. Carbon is now considered a pollutant by the EPA and giant wind and solar farms are going up in the places I drove our Affinity through a couple of weeks ago.

I do not see a volume market for Affinities like ours. I do see some market for rigs above Winnebago's current line of Tours. I would guess those will be called "Country Coach /by Winnebago" I have spent a lot of time in the Junction City area getting work done on our coach. In my opinion this is a very good area to make RVs in. There is a large skilled work force in this area and the costs are low. The existing Country Coach factory and that area is already set up to make RVs.

The western USA used to be THE major area for making RVs in this country. Many of the companies who set up to make coaches originally were in the west. Not very long ago there was Fleetwood, National, See Ya, Alpine, Monaco, Beaver, and Country Coach all in the west. Winnebago originally got it's start collaborating with a west coast company. Frankly I am not sure why Indiana seems now to be the hub of motorhome making. I am having a hard time thinking of one major maker that started there.

So Winnebago adding CC and starting up the factory again in Oregon has a lot of things going for it. Huge numbers of people in the western USA have RVs. Making them here and servicing them here is a big deal. Several of my friends have a motorhome made in Alabama. None of them like driving 2000+ miles to get maor work done. Junction City is 700 miles from LA and 850 from San Diego. Most of my other RV buddies out here have rigs they now need to drive 2000+ miles to go to Indiana to get major things serviced. None of them like that. When I joined our little local RV club a few years back 80% of the families had coaches made in this area. Now only a couple have Nationals and Fleetwoods. Having someone located out here is a big deal. For us having CC 850 miles away has been very helpful.

So you cannot go back 15 years. I would see CC adding a couple of models to the top of the Winnebago line. Or maybe there will be a high end of all size levels of products named the Country Coach version. Or maybe nothing except Winnebago makes Winnebagos in JC. Even if only the later, which I don't expect, that will keep this area as a place for making RVs and I can still get my rig worked on in this area. My stock I bought yesterday in Winnebago has gone up .9% in one day so I am happy.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #20

Personally, with a company like Winnebago, their intentions I believe are not to build Country Coaches, but to separate and hopefully improve their DP line.

I drove an Itasca class c for 14 years and 105k miles. It held up very well, and never had any issues with it. So when I wanted to move up to a DP, my first look was Winnebago. Test drove the Forza, and several Journeys, can't describe on how disappointed I was in the workmanship, and overall drivability of the coaches. Wind, road, and coach noises were like my old class c.

The best riding new coach that I could afford was Tiffin. But even then it still didn't meet my standards of what I thought a diesel pusher should be. After driving a couple of used CC'ers, and I was sold.

Congratulations to Junction City, hopefully they can improve the Winnebago DP lineup.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #21

Information coming out of the RVIA show in Louisville states that customers are seeking more modestly priced motorhomes, and even towables, as opposed to the case prior to the recession. Country Coach is a lot of things but modestly priced is not one of them. On top of that, they have essentially been out of the new coach market for some time now. They are much loved and even revered by many, but the younger crowd doesn't have any connection with the brand.

Winnebago is a smart operator, maybe the smartest. Others have filled the void created when Country Coach went comatose. Unless that market segment is growing, and information suggests otherwise, then the only way you get sales is to take them from the established Manufacturer's. That's not easy to do, let alone the money infusion required to accomplish it. There are probably surer ways for Winnebago to deploy their capital and earn some money. Winnebago has always been fiscally conservative which is one big reason why they are still standing. Who knows what Country Coach had that Winnebago wanted. Maybe it was just a fire sale. If Country Coach had a viable business plan they would have been able to attract investors and financing.

We all know a long list of Manufacturer's that have bitten the dust, my Beaver being one of them. It's a different world now and I don't see how a revived Country Coach could generate enough unit sales to be viable again.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpete1961 View Post
I am pleased to announce that, effective today, I have sold the Country Coach Campus and intellectual property to Winnebago Industries. .....Ron Lee

That is so incredibly disappointing!

When I was a wee lad in my 20's I stepped into a Country Coach motorhome at an RV show and decided that was what I was going to buy when it came time.

The time eventually came to purchase my brand new Country Coach, and low and behold the company was no longer manufacturing. I joined their mailing list and frequented their website in anticipation!!

In the meantime I purchased a Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Thor motorhomes. I purchased the Fleetwood because it was the exact same model used in the Meet the Focker's comedy movie and I liked the floorplan, but the quality sucked and the tranny failed. I purchased the Winnebago because of their "wonderful quality", available spare parts for life, and word-of-mouth recommendations. Then the entire fiberglass rear cap fell off of my new motorhome many hundreds of miles from home. I recently purchased the Thor, and have not had any issues with it, (knock on luan).

The Country Coach I always wanted and have patiently waited for is now owned by Winnebago! A brand that I no longer trust! Arggg!

Very disappointing indeed.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Information coming out of the RVIA show in Louisville states that customers are seeking more modestly priced motorhomes, and even towables, as opposed to the case prior to the recession. Country Coach is a lot of things but modestly priced is not one of them. On top of that, they have essentially been out of the new coach market for some time now. They are much loved and even revered by many, but the younger crowd doesn't have any connection with the brand.

Winnebago is a smart operator, maybe the smartest. Others have filled the void created when Country Coach went comatose. Unless that market segment is growing, and information suggests otherwise, then the only way you get sales is to take them from the established Manufacturer's. That's not easy to do, let alone the money infusion required to accomplish it. There are probably surer ways for Winnebago to deploy their capital and earn some money. Winnebago has always been fiscally conservative which is one big reason why they are still standing. Who knows what Country Coach had that Winnebago wanted. Maybe it was just a fire sale. If Country Coach had a viable business plan they would have been able to attract investors and financing.

We all know a long list of Manufacturer's that have bitten the dust, my Beaver being one of them. It's a different world now and I don't see how a revived Country Coach could generate enough unit sales to be viable again.
Looking at all the variables that can impact buyer's and manufacturers' decisions, it does seem to make sense that any builder wanting to bring higher end, expensive coaches to market is taking a big risk. And yes, I agree that younger buyers just entering the RV market know little, if anything, about Country Coach. Winnebago did attempt to enter the more luxury coach market with their Ultimate line in the early 2000's. They didn't stay with that very long.

On the other hand, there does seem to be a lot of folks with plenty of $$$$ to spend on class A coaches. Look at the Entegra forum and see all the folks who have traded Anthem's for the more upscale Cornerstone, a $600K rig. Is this behavior over when us baby boomers all get too old for this?? Who knows?

I do think Winne/CC need to keep it to the Allure level and perhaps one level above, at least at first. And, as Entegra seems to have shown, a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty has lured many buyers, in spite of some of their own quality issues in the early models. That is something I believe could be vital to success and perhaps differentiate CC rigs from Tiffin, Newmar, American.

It is fun for all of us to speculate what may or may not happen. I guess we shall all see what develops over time.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some years ago Newmar surveyed some of their owners (we were one of them) about the long warranty they offered at the time and most answered that it didn't have much effect on their choosing to buy Newmars. I know it wasn't on our choosing to buy our Dutch Stars.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #25

Winnebago is a public company, I would suggest that people go to their website. Go meet the new company. I for one am hopeful that they do hire a large number of people in Junction City, that is the most important thing to me. The past is over, maybe a lot of good can come out of this.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I do think Winne/CC need to keep it to the Allure level and perhaps one level above, at least at first. And, as Entegra seems to have shown, a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty has lured many buyers, in spite of some of their own quality issues in the early models. That is something I believe could be vital to success and perhaps differentiate CC rigs from Tiffin, Newmar, American.

It is fun for all of us to speculate what may or may not happen. I guess we shall all see what develops over time.
DW and I visited the CC campus late afternoon November 9th and had a chance to see the 2016 Allure, which we liked except for the color scheme inside and out - but it's Ron's personal coach so it's colors he selected. Went back morning if the 10th and looked at some of the consignment. We heard while at the campus that "a deal had been struck" resulting a major financing for and expansion of the site; also that the 1st Magna and Affinity coaches should be completed the fall of 2017.

Reckon we'll all have to see what's actually produced in 2027 as things ramp up...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
The two year warranty weighed heavily on my decision to buy an Entegra. A year goes by very fast, and if you are not a full-timer, a year is too short a time to debug a new coach.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #28

DW and I were just going over the conversations we had with CC employees last month. Neither of us could recollect any comments regarding CC's autonomy under Winnebago - but there were comments that CC had received the monetary commitment needed to ramp up for production of additional Allure models as well as needed updates/modifications to the Magna and Affinity models for production.

The build quality and cabinetry work in the 45' 2016 CC Allure 470 appeared as good, with bathroom (bath & 1/2 floor plan) accruments better, than the many 2005-2008 Intrigue, Magna, and Affinity coaches we've looked at. We did not hear any comments regarding the production of CC models beyond these three coach models (Affinity, Magna, and Allure). I do recollect comments that coaches shorter than 45' would be available within these models - so perhaps a fully loaded heavy suspension/drivetrain 40' CC could be on our radar for 2017/2018 models.

Hopefully CC will still offer the custom one-offs that they offered before production ceased under its earlier iteration.

As many have noted, Winnebago would shoot itself in foot should they not maintain CC as a separate high end component within their corporate structure. There was mention of multiple production lines with the upgraded/expanded production facility. I know Affinity and Magnas were mentioned in a single production line - so perhaps the three CC models will use one line process while the Winnebago models would use another line(s).

Just some thoughts...

Tags
winnebago