Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #15

Hi Jim - I'm not up on the Tribute coach chassis, so ignore parts that may not be pertinent to the Tribute!

On our 04 Allure 40' with tag. The Koni Adjustable SP1's era shocks were not a good choice by the factory. Checking history on this board, and talking with Justin at Koni, this was a bad call by the folks that owned CC at that time, National, as they wanted a very soft/floating/Cadilac ride... Koni, according to Justin, strongly advised against the size shock they had called for - especially on the front axles IFS. (Same CC OEM Koni Ajustable shock that came on our rig, was the shock I had installed on our 28' Bounder F53 front beam axle....). Koni also advised that the FSD shock was not a good mix for our rig's IFS, as it would be 'overwhelmed'....)

I wanted as good of handling, I call it BMW handiing on other posts, for the rig. Comfort in driving, but more for safety and emergency situations. So I did two upgrades on handling (well three if you count the new 12R XZE* Mich's shoes):
1) Road Kings (older generation, not the new 3")
2) Super Steer Motion Control Unit (MCU's) to help on quicker 'setup' of the air bags. For our application, Henderson's Lineup recommended under 30K Lbs for the front axle, and over 30K Lbs for the rear. The IFS seemed to work well for CC's with the under 30K Lbs MCU.

Very pleased with the feel of the handling after these modifications.

On the Roadkings, when talking with Lonnie before purchase. He suggested I go ride the rig for awhile with the shocks the way RK's sets them for this application. But if I was not pleased with the handling, that they would 'revalve' them for me at no charge.

So if you are not currently pleased with the handing of your rig, and feel the RK's are not 'up to the job' - a call back to Lonnie for his input on if 'revalving' might be a good option for you - is only the cost of a phone call.

But it sounds like you may have more issues then only shocks. Shocks play a part in the all up suspension handling of these rigs. You may have other suspension items that need to be addressed. Reminder I do not know the Tribute chasssis characteristics, but I would wonder about:
-Air bags (if on this chassis) properly working and robust enough?
-Bushings in good shape? If rubber, is Urethane upgrade an option?
-Sway bars? Does the chassis have them? Are they propery sized?
-Etc.

If you are in the area of Hendrson's Lineup, they do go out and test drive with you in your specific rig. The tech's have a good reputation for doing a solid analysis of your coach and how it handles. They then can provide you with options to address areas that need improvement.

If you are in the Florida area, I think it is Jordans (Or Josams?) that has a very good reputation for dialing in chassis.

If your Tribute is a long term rig for you, one you will use for many years ahead, then taking the time to work thru the handling - will pay back dividends over easier and more comfortable driving. Heck, a safety item, as if you are fighting handling problems, that can add to fatigue faster...

Wish you the very best on this, and you might also post on the CC User Yahoo board to ask other Tribute owners what they may have done to help handling?

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boguslaw View Post
I met Lonnie at the Indio FMCA rally in 2012 and bought the RoadKings expecting a great improvement in the ride. He said something that struck me, "most these coaches are underdamped" and that is what mine feels like. $2000 later and I still feel it is underdamped. I still get a lot of sway and porpoising. I know I am a minority opinion but after 1 year and about 6ooo miles, that is how I feel. I don't know what else can be done and I don't want to spend more money on this issue.

Jim Boguslaw
07 Country Coach Tribute
According to everything I heard they have a lifetime warranty, and if you not happy with them they will Re valve them for free.

Ted.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boguslaw View Post
I met Lonnie at the Indio FMCA rally in 2012 and bought the RoadKings expecting a great improvement in the ride. He said something that struck me, "most these coaches are underdamped" and that is what mine feels like. $2000 later and I still feel it is underdamped. I still get a lot of sway and porpoising. I know I am a minority opinion but after 1 year and about 6ooo miles, that is how I feel. I don't know what else can be done and I don't want to spend more money on this issue.

Jim Boguslaw
07 Country Coach Tribute
I would take a look at your ride height and tire air pressure. Either one can drastically affect the ride quality. CC tire pressure was always 120 front and 110 rear as a CYA thing. Proper way is to weigh the coach and then set pressure.

My coach is heavier and the wheel base is longer than yours and the RKs made a huge difference so I know they work.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #18

Just took our first trip on our new Roadking shocks, I was amazed at the difference, much easier to drive, went around corners so much better than before,
I was always terrified coming to a big sweeping curve on the interstate, it felt like the body was going to slide off the chassis or tip over, now she just goes right around with all the other traffic (well within reason she aint no sports car)
I am very pleased with them to say the least,
I am a HAPPY camper,
if fuel prices would come down I would be even happier ,
put $ 312 in her on the way back home......don't get me started.....
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benford View Post
Just took our first trip on our new Roadking shocks, I was amazed at the difference, much easier to drive, went around corners so much better than before,
I was always terrified coming to a big sweeping curve on the interstate, it felt like the body was going to slide off the chassis or tip over, now she just goes right around with all the other traffic (well within reason she aint no sports car)
I am a HAPPY camper,
Look at it this way. Three nights on the road at the local inn will put you about even. I had the same experience with the Road Kings

Dick
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I was considering the RK's for the same issues but a post on the Yahoo Country Coach Forum suggested raising the ride hight half an inch or a little more. I asked a sales prerson for Henderson's Lineup at FMCA rally and he concurred. I still have the FSD's and the ride is great now. No more bottoming out.
John
05 CC Inspire 330/w Hydratlift for Harley Ultra.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by benford View Post
I am a HAPPY camper,
I would me more interested in how they are over expansion joints and how they absorb Shock.

Let's Face it they are Suppose to be SHOCK ABSORBERS

Tags
shocks