Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

New Start battery draining down while hooked to shore.

Ok 1999 Intrigue has got me Intrigued!! Cummins was in for PM annual. Guy found a few things that needed attention. Mainly air part that took a month to order (meanwhile my ABS light remained on). Right after I got coach back. First issue no power to start generator. Button on Remote start or on the generator nothing. Not even a click. Ok... then the starter battery went dead replaced it and the house batteries. All 3 are big H8 style. Still nothing on Generator? Just ran by RV and new Starter battery is dead )while hooked up to shore!!). Got unit started by battery cross over switch which I understands connects all three. Xantrex 2500 looks good all green lights! Help! When coach is running the starter battery seems to charge up fast (as steps etc start working). I guess we have something draining chassis battery faster than it can charge. Weird! Help!
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

My first instinct would be to go back to square one and check the battery connections if it worked before changing the batteries.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My first instinct would be to go back to square one and check the battery connections if it worked before changing the batteries.

No, battery was drained before I replaced them! I just thought they went bad. (2 years old) obviously wasn't the problem. I even purchased new brass connectors for all three batteries. Connections are good.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
No, battery was drained before I replaced them! I just thought they went bad. (2 years old) obviously wasn't the problem. I even purchased new brass connectors for all three batteries. Connections are good.
If that's the case then most likely the charging system on your coach is not set up to charge both sets of batteries. You might want to consider one of these devices. They are very easy to install and work as advertised to keep your chassis batteries charged when plugged in to shore power.

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-82-01...x+echo+charger
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #5

Ok, I'll look into it....but it worked just fine for 16 years. .
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Ok, I'll look into it....but it worked just fine for 16 years. .
Sorry, I assumed it has never charged the chassis batteries. If it worked before then it has a bidirectional charging system and it is not working. The echo charger is not for you. I'm not at all familiar with your coach so I suggest searching for information on the charging system.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Check the inline fuses for your Xantrex
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

My 2000 Magna charges both sets of batteries when connected to shore power through the Echo Charger. There is a fuse on the Echo Charger and you should check it. My Echo Charger is in the same bay as the inverter (a black box about 1" thick and 5" X 8"; just guessing) but your's may be different. My Echo Charger keeps the engine battery about 0.25 volts lower than the house batteries while on shore power.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Edit my above post ... I meant the inline fuse on your Echo charger, like phays pointed out. I've blown that fuse before and that prevented any charge to the chassis battery
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

When I got my coach my echo charger was dead and both fuses were good. Mine is in the same bay as the chassis battery so I went with the Magnum combiner. You can set it how you want it to charge plus I think it is a better charge system.Magnum Smart Battery Combiner ME-SBC | eBay
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
When I got my coach my echo charger was dead and both fuses were good. Mine is in the same bay as the chassis battery so I went with the Magnum combiner. You can set it how you want it to charge plus I think it is a better charge system.Magnum Smart Battery Combiner ME-SBC | eBay
2 stroker
If you find the Echo has taken a leave of absence permanently.

X's 2 on the SBC...

We shifted over to the MS2812 and related components. Of which one is the SBC... Very pleased with the results.

I will say, that once I figured out how to reset the OEM, including the Echo - that it did well too. (I change over to PSW to support some of my electronic's... And my OEM unit is serving the new owner well!)

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #12

Ok sounds like the Echo charger or inline fuses. I'll take a look. Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Ok sounds like the Echo charger or inline fuses. I'll take a look. Thanks guys

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	158839

Here's what I'm looking at. In line fuze tests good.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #14

Are you sure that fuse is connected to the Echo Charger? My schematic does not show any fuses in the EC circuit but there are two inline fuses, one each of the input and output side of the EC. From your picture, the two yellow inline fuses on the upper left of your picture are the same type on my EC.

One of my 12volt wires on the EC is red (from the house batteries), the other is red with a yellow stripe (to the chassis batteries). On my coach those two wires run to the boost solenoid.

My trouble shooting path would be the following.

If both fuses are good, remove the input fuse from the house batteries and check the voltage in the holder. If no voltage then chase that wire back to its source. If there is voltage then replace the fuse and do the same check on the output fuse. No voltage on the output side then the EC is not functioning. If there is voltage on the output side then chase that wire to towards the chassis batteries.

Oh, just in case, check the ground wire at the EC also. Maybe do this first if it easier than checking the fuses.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery