Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
New to Country Coach

Hello everyone, I have just bought my first CC and love it. Its a 1989 Country Coach Concept. It has 70000 miles and the inside looks untouched. Everything seems original and has been well cared for. I picked it up in Southern California and drove it home to Fort McMurray Alberta on its first drive. It was a tough drive with a heat wave going on in that area with temps of 120 f plus. I had to shut it down once between LA and Vegas as it was running to hot for my liking. I am slowly figuring out how to work everything in the bus. There is lots to learn. I was so happy to find this forum and as I read through it everyone seems so helpful. I will have lots of things to ask and hope I can find some answers here.

My one concern right now is the charging system. I put a meter on the chassis batteries and on idle its only showing just over 12v. Once I bring the rpm up around 1300 it shows 13.6 v Is this normal ? When I check the Batt cont. switch in the cab its showing me 12v sitting in my driveway when not running. Does this all sound normal?

Here are a couple pictures of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	131829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	131830  

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	131831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	131832  

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	131833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	131834  

Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club

1997 Country Coach Intrigue Horizon 36' (The Dinosaur Burner)
92TNTRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Looks great!!
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
The coach looks good. First get a good multi meter. As far as your battery(s) 13.6 is a pretty normal charging voltage from your alternator. Check and see how old the batteries are. If they have removable caps you can check the voltage in each of the cells it should be around 2.2 V If one is significantly below that you probably have a bad battery and it will draw down all the others that maybe hooked up to it. Or you could stop by an interstate Battery place and they'll probably be happy to check your batteries for free.
If they're bad you have several decisions to make but you'll find out all about that and many other surprises in owning a coach.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Beautiful coach, they don't build them like that any more. The 13+ sounds right at higher idle but the 12 I am not sure about. What do the batteries read at the battery? They should be in the 12.6 to 12.7 range if they are fully charged
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Beautiful coach. I wish you a lot of luck and many happy miles.

Thanks for the pics!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Interior looks really nice. And a Jacuzzi tub? Didn't know that was an option 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
Wow, The interior looks great!!
We have the same coach, except mine is a 90 and a 36ft and I don't have a Jacuzzi tub!

As you get going please do not hesitate to reach out. There are a couple of concept owners on here and they are the tops! They are so over engineered its wild to play with them. A couple of things about the Concept, Country coach does not have much for documentation on them anymore but get the know Greg Bootes at CC and also Kevin Waite in Junction City Or. They will help you out a ton. Another member who also has a Concept and myself have been working on a spreadsheet for what everything is. Things like the headlights are Ford from and 89-91 Bronco or F150 and etc.
On the volts, I am about 12.6 at idle. if you are looking at the meter on the dash it is not really accurate but if you open up the battery bay and put a volt on it. One lead on pos and one on neg at idle you should have around that 12.5+ mark or at least I do so you might be fine or you might be looking for an alternator soon.

The heating is always a treat to figure out but hopefully you have manuals, if not a couple of us do so we can send you some. As for the 70k that is good and bad. The Gillig chassis can go several hundred thousand miles or more and is designed to do so. so when at 27 year old coach only has 70 it means it sat a lot. Coaches don't like to sit too much, they start growing gremlins.

Anywho reach out if you need help and awesome coach. as you get around to doing stuff, oil change and ATF etc you will get a better feel for everything.

Great coach!!
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
I have manuals for everything in and on this coach. There is a big tote box with everything in it and very well organized. User guides and parts list for everything is in there. The people that owed it documented everything including every gallon of fuel that went in it. If anyone need docs I think I have everything that was out there for this coach and will gladly copy anything and sent it to who ever needs it. I think these are as important as a log book when buying a used plane.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
all battery are brand new in the coach, kinda makes me wonder if there was an alt problem and they thought the new battery would solve it. Ill keep my eye on everything Thanks so much for the responce
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
Congrats on the new ride!!! Sure looks great by the pictures!!! And yes, they were build to a different level of standards on that era and model coach...

Best and enjoy,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 AM   #12
If you happen to have a factory wiring diagram that would be the tops. I have all the manuals but it would be nice to have a wiring diagram from time to time to save the chasing about. At the moment I am in need of the Dash wiring diagram as I have a goofy ground fault I am trying to find and I want to remove the security system

cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #13
I will get on to that for you. Might take me a couple of days because im working 12 hour shifts . But I will look to see if I have what your looking for.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Wow what a beautiful coach! I'm new to the family as well, we just bought ours a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Yours is a great example of just how far ahead of the curve Country Coach always was. Compare yours to just about any other motorhome made in 1990--there simply is no comparison. And yes this forum is great, lots of helpful people here.

Dusty Sharp - Mentone, CA
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote